The Skinny on getting a Dominican SIM for my Iphone?

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Its been covered before in different topics..

I can get a SIM at Claro for cien pesos.. But she told me ( the Claro clerk) its only good for talking, making phone calls.. If I want to use TEXT ( that's all I ever do here), I need to register and pay 650 pesos per month.. Is this correct, and then buy minutes... I just want to swap out my Canadian SIM while I am here and use a DOM Sim..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
BS. It works for phone and text. Of course you need to put minutes on it. But what she said is not correct.

Jan 17, 2009
If that were true, then go to Orange. I make phone calls and text from my prepaid card. In fact, I've been texting overseas to South America. No problem.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
I just did want you want to do with my Canadian smart phone. Swapped out my sim card for a local one and bought minutes.
I can talk and text. I can also logon in a wifi hotspot no problem.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
OP, if you have a Claro prepay sim, just ask for 500mb of data plan (non contract) for rd450 a month. That way if your phone has , internet browser, whatsapp, FB, Skype, yahoo messenger,sms , etc, you will never use any minutes you have with Claro. The data plan last for 30 days, and you can repurchase whenever you wish.

Last edited:

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Now that I have my sim installed. Is there anyway of seeing on my iphone how many minutes I have left? Next month I'll change to the 450rd plan. But for now I got the sim for 100 pesos and bought minutes. Thanks

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Now that I have my sim installed. Is there anyway of seeing on my iphone how many minutes I have left? Next month I'll change to the 450rd plan. But for now I got the sim for 100 pesos and bought minutes. Thanks
Claro - dial *122# to get your voice / minutes balance. If you get the data plan ( I do exactly as BermudaRum explained in post #7) for some strange reason Claro have no automated way to see your mb usage. On Iphone you can see your usage ( in Settings ) and 'reset' your usage meter every time you re-charge your data. but it's not likely you will use 500mb in a month anyway.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
but it's not likely you will use 500mb in a month anyway.

You would be surprised how fast you eat a GB of data if you surf regularly.
WIFI solves that concern, and only use data when away from WIFI.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
but it's not likely you will use 500mb in a month anyway.

You gotta turn off auto-download of emails and attachments to ensure that; the smartphones are notorious for downloading "stuff" in the background and chewing through data like no one's business. I've gone through 300mb in 6 days here in-country. Mainly because I was using the translator a lot, but if you forget to turn off app updates, that'll mess you up too.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Don't go on contract unless you use make a lot of calls and use a lot of data. I don't know about Claro, but Orange has prepaid options like Astucia mentioned in a previous post. Orange pre-paid data options range from 100MB x 1 day= 40 pesos to 1GB x 30 days= 900 pesos. I swap out my Canadian SIM for Orange all the time, I put $500 pesos on prepaid, choose a data option such as 500MB x 7 days for $250 RD and keep the remaining balance for calls or texts. I keep track of my data usage ( there are free apps if you don't have an iphone.) All I ever paid was $100RD for the SIM. I will not sign a contract here, prepaid works well enough for me.