English Tutoring

bbaggins

May 1, 2014
Sorry if this has been addressed already...I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find any info.

Anyhow, a neighbour asked me if I could tutor another neighbour's son. As the young man knows no English, and my Spanish is rudimentary, the neighbour (and I ) think it will be a win-win. Does anyone have any recommendations on tutoring teaching methods? I've done some googling/wikiing, and think that the situational language approach would work well. That is, start by teaching the basics of everyday life (waking up, showering, walking to work/school, that sort of thing.) Any recommendations would be appreciated, as I figure that I should be prepared for such requests in the future. Muchas gracias

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dominicans usually learn by writing out the word or words hundreds of times. I suggest you do the everyday stuff but also try and get the fundamentals of grammar. Start with 6 verbs in the present tense such as to be, to go, to come, to want, to do , to have - easy in English but harder in Spanish (for you). Then you can add in the vocabulary for each different scenario - I go to school, I want a shower etc etc. Next stage do present tense in a question - this time easier in Spanish as in English that horrid "do" comes into it - do you go to school, do you want a shower.

Matilda

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Not very good advice I am afraid ...Having taught english in three schools to very poor students and from beginners to university standard ..I can tell you that children do NOT usually learn english by writing a word hundreds of times and of course all the verbs mentioned by Matilda are irregular verbs . If you cannot speak spanish or have not learned latin, then you most certainly need to start with a good educational book and there are many to be bought . In the capial do you can go to the book store at National on the corner of Lincoln and 27 Febrero . In the books there will be pictures of things .. that is for the nouns and there are normally two or three people having a fundamental conversation .. The words will be in english and in spanish in the good books .. Unless bbagins has a good understanding of english grammar ,then it is best to keep to the three easy tenses. the present , the past and the future ..starting with the present do not worry about the imperfect and the subjunctive or plu perfect .. . In the present tense ,,there are three different types of infinitives in spanish..those terminating with ar, er or ir but in english there is only one type of of infinitive and that is the word to ...so you must start with the regular verbs in spanish and in english which are the vast majority ..you can introduce the irregular verbs when the book says so .. Most important is the book and please do not let your student drop the t or abbreviate words ..

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Please teach him, and learn yourself, that Vowels IN ENGLISH, AND Spanish, ARE NOT PRONOUNCED THE SAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THAT's the first thing you BOTH must learn!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh....Stay away....send the kid to school...get a tutor.... or start slow....and get tapes.....practice tapes for the kid... english school variety...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Sorry if this has been addressed already...I did a quick search of the forum and couldn't find any info.

Anyhow, a neighbour asked me if I could tutor another neighbour's son. As the young man knows no English, and my Spanish is rudimentary, the neighbour (and I ) think it will be a win-win. Does anyone have any recommendations on tutoring teaching methods? I've done some googling/wikiing, and think that the situational language approach would work well. That is, start by teaching the basics of everyday life (waking up, showering, walking to work/school, that sort of thing.) Any recommendations would be appreciated, as I figure that I should be prepared for such requests in the future. Muchas gracias

what here will be a win win? $paid for lessons or other?win win

Aug 21, 2007
If you have an iPad, get BrainPop ESL. It is free for the first lesson on each level. After that, it costs $26 USD, I believe. It is very well done. Has a video for each lesson, then speaking practice, then vocabulary (all related to the video) and ends each lesson with a quiz.

BrainPop ESL is also available for computers, but be careful, you may need to subscribe on this site, as it is set up for classrooms, homeschoolers, and schools.

https://esl.brainpop.com/

I am teaching an English class for kids for Strength for the Journey, my foundation. I am using this, along with other free material available on the web. After checking out BrainPop ESL (I could not find it for Kindles), then look at

https://en.islcollective.com/

It has a ton of free resources for teaching English to Spanish speakers. You search for what you need by the topic and sort the items by the age and level of your student. All worksheets and materials are downloadable and free.

I mix these resources with songs and rhymes that use the vocabulary we are learning. I also you games, such a color, number, and vocabulary Bingo.

Learning a language can be fun and easy. It doesn't need to involve writing verbs and vocabulary 100 times.

Good luck!

Lindsey

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Not very good advice I am afraid ...Having taught english in three schools to very poor students and from beginners to university standard ..I can tell you that children do NOT usually learn english by writing a word hundreds of times and of course all the verbs mentioned by Matilda are irregular verbs . If you cannot speak spanish or have not learned latin, then you most certainly need to start with a good educational book and there are many to be bought . In the capial do you can go to the book store at National on the corner of Lincoln and 27 Febrero . In the books there will be pictures of things .. that is for the nouns and there are normally two or three people having a fundamental conversation .. The words will be in english and in spanish in the good books .. Unless bbagins has a good understanding of english grammar ,then it is best to keep to the three easy tenses. the present , the past and the future ..starting with the present do not worry about the imperfect and the subjunctive or plu perfect .. . In the present tense ,,there are three different types of infinitives in spanish..those terminating with ar, er or ir but in english there is only one type of of infinitive and that is the word to ...so you must start with the regular verbs in spanish and in english which are the vast majority ..you can introduce the irregular verbs when the book says so .. Most important is the book and please do not let your student drop the t or abbreviate words ..

I agree with your position. Students do not learn best by memorizing with a mundane activity. I recommend Learn Spanish Free Online | 123TeachMe and "drive time Spanish lesson". My vocabulary has increase significantly using 123teachme.

Having an interactive lesson improves retention skills. There are some smartphone apps that translate speech or text. I find them useful to help clarify sentences. You also focus on cognates words which have similar spelling or phonetics between both languages. Spanish Cognates - Instant Spanish Vocabulary

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
The American English site has great resources for teaching English:American English | A Website for Teachers and Learners of English As a Foreign Language Abroad

Kids learn really fast when you incorporate songs and nursery rhymes. YouTube is packed with great videos illustrating typical children's songs. The Alphabet, greetings, numbers, colors, daily routines, food, verbs, clothing, you name it! Whatever you'd like to teach, there are already resources about it on Youtube.

The site I listed above also has free (and copyright free) mp3 downloadable songs for children's songs: Bingo, 1-2-3 buckle my shoe, head and shoulders, twinkle little star, etc.

Other stuff you can get, besides a textbook: a set of flashcards, and a picture dictionary. Some picture dictionaries have bilingual versions.
Many people are against textbooks, but I think they give you the structure that some learners and teachers actually need.

Does the kid have a tablet? There are many free apps to download for vocabulary acquisition.

When you teach something, remember to recycle. Weeks, and even months later, revisit the topic. No teaching is in vain.

Do not try to teach too much stuff all at once. Don't be over confident. Get to know him first and see what kind of learner he is. Some kids are better auditory learners, some are visual, some learn better through touching and movement (kinesthetic).

Try to combine different types of activities. It will be easier for the kid to internalize the topics, and you'll avoid the class from becoming boring or monotonous.

Hope this helps!