On a slow boat to Puerto Rico...

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Okay, so the family and I are going home this summer for a couple months. We've been here long enough, and with the increase, the exit fee times five is going to be painful. Also, flights out of Puerto Rico are cheaper than the DR.

So, I'm thinking we take the American Cruise Ferrys from Santo Domingo to San Juan and fly out of there. Mostly for the adventure, and ability to visit Puerto Rico, but also for the cheaper flights and possibility of avoiding the exit fee.

Or, will I be charged the same exact exit fee when I get on the boat? Anyone have any experience with this?

How is the ferry?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes you will pay your exit fee and overstay fees when you get on the boat in Santo Domingo

Bob K

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
same exit fees for all commercial exits, by plane or by boat or by land.
if you exit/enter by private vehicle on the water or thru the air, then the visitor card(for non residents) and exit fees are exactly double of what they are for travelers on commercial flights/boats/ferry etc.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
distance for the ferry varies a lot depending if you take the Ferry to Mayaguez or the much longer ride to San Juan.
here from the eastshores (Cabo Enga?o) you have a good 80nmls to Mayaguez and a 135nmls to San Juan.
will you really safe on the flights that much? the Ferry is no cheapy, you will spend a night at least in PR, may need to travel within PR etc etc. as for the adventure, Yes, worth to do the ride, just for savings?, not so much.

Mike

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
jetblue from santo domingo to san juan have specials on certain days of the month. I can get santo domingo to san juan for about 250 - 300 rt. example: leaving santo domingo on the 15th for san juan and returning on the 22nd will cost me 554 dollars for 2 persons. all taxes included. remember, it was for 2 people.
AZB

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
AZB, and you would already even have the entry taxes of Puerto Rico included.
the Ferry would not safe a thing, but could be a nice once a lifetime adventure to be done of course, but not for savings on the airfare or saving on entry/exit fees etc, thats right.

Mike