Toyota FJ cruiser

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Review
Hoping to hear from anyone about their opinions on the Toyota FJ cruiser late model

how it has coped with the appalling roads in the DR?
maintanance if any? costs tires, oil changes ...?
Quality of Toyota service in the DR?
Its my inderstanding Dominicans know how to repair Toyotas...would this include the FJ?

Id be very interested to here your thoughts

thanks

Jan 9, 2004
If you want it for strictly off-roading....it is a great choice.

Otherwise, you should know that the model is discontinued for lots of reasons;

Visibility is awful, gas mileage is awful, ride is sub-par, and it has been consistently one of Toyota's least reliable vehicles.

But, it is a Toyota and likely lots of familiarity with it in the DR...as far as repairs are concerned.

People who own them...love them. The problem for Toyota was that there are not enough of those people....and they have discontinued the model.

The 4Runner is a better choice.....unless you are into serious off-roading.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
There's 37 of them for sale on Supercarros. I didn't think they sold that many here.

They are inexpensive relative to other Toyota products at the auctions in the US.

Overseas dealers just stand at the US auctions with their hand in the air until they win the bid...if the product has a Toyota badge and a lot of miles.

I am really surprised there are not more in the DR.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
That vehicle never made sense to me.. Big, ugly, bulky, yet it's only a 2 door.. weird.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The fj cruiser is 1 beautiful truck! Its a 2 dr with 2 extra suicide doors for the back seat.
This suv is made by toyota commercial truck manufacture, so its built like a truck, rigid and strong.
It has a short wheelbase, and getting it in stick gets you locking differentials, on earlier models.

The fj should kick butt on dominican roads, but seems very expensive.
Just remember, the fj has been and will always be toyotas answer to the jeep wrangler , mercedes g wagon, and land rovers defender.
Go for it! This truck is good to go.

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Actually i thought they looked kind of cool, some of those other large 4 wheel drives are muy feo.

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
If you want it for strictly off-roading....it is a great choice.

Otherwise, you should know that the model is discontinued for lots of reasons;

Visibility is awful, gas mileage is awful, ride is sub-par, and it has been consistently one of Toyota's least reliable vehicles.

But, it is a Toyota and likely lots of familiarity with it in the DR...as far as repairs are concerned.

People who own them...love them. The problem for Toyota was that there are not enough of those people....and they have discontinued the model.

The 4Runner is a better choice.....unless you are into serious off-roading.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks for theresponses. i didnt know they were no longer available...i see them still on the toyota site though