Customs by the book for import shipments under US$200 ?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Be aware Customs is starting to behave by the book, being anal, regarding the tax exemption for import shipments under US$ 200. This is an ongoing situation promoted by commercial interests within the DR who feel they are losing sales to offshore vendors because of the exemption. It appears they have Customs ear and cooperation to push the envelope over the matter.

PJT ordered a bulk pact of rechargable batteries from Amazon, $25 worth. EPS had the shipment and Customs would not release the goods until they had a copy of the invoice. Amazon inserts a packing list with a description of the product in its packaging, in the past was enough documentation for Customs process. Customs knows the reasonable product cost at time of inspection and usually waves the product through if under $200. This time for PJT was an exception to the behavior. It may become a habit. PJT electronically sent the invoice to EPS to verify the value and the shipment was released.

Be prepared for now, if you order offshore you may want to retain a copy of the invoice to be able to present it for Customs review. This will quiet down after a while as Customs will find it is more costly for them to continue this practice.

If needed goods of good quality and value were available in the DR, PJT would buy here.

Regards,

PJT

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
At Vimenpaq I just copy past every amazon invoice and enter it into "Alertanos tus compras".

Never had a problem...

EPS seems to be a little bit backwards...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
It also may have been held because it was bulk batteries, which have some retail value here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
With Encargopaq I send a copy of the invoice by email to them (or upload it to their web site) and I don't have any issues.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The concern is Customs is unnecessarily delaying shipments that are obviously under $200 valuation. Their doing it interrupts the courier's standard of delivery schedules and frustrates the delivery to the end user when there are items that are urgently needed.

Regards,

PJT

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Proof of the Transaction

The concern is Customs is unnecessarily delaying shipments that are obviously under $200 valuation. Their doing it interrupts the courier's standard of delivery schedules and frustrates the delivery to the end user when there are items that are urgently needed.

We all know why customs does this... :rambo:

CPS now informs me whenever a shipment arrives without an invoice and I then send ebay or PayPal transaction screenshots to the office in LT.
Yes, a nuisance, but it works.

donP

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
With Encargopaq I send a copy of the invoice by email to them (or upload it to their web site) and I don't have any issues.

Do you have any problems posting the document? About half of mine will not add, then I send the document to info cargopac they enter, and here it comes.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Just picked up a bunch of under $200 stuff today from EPS with no delays and no customs fees so I guess it depends on the courier service?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Just picked up a bunch of under $200 stuff today from EPS with no delays and no customs fees so I guess it depends on the courier service?

It depends on the day, which way the wind is blowing and whether the agents doing the inspections got up on the right side of the bed that day. No so much depends on the courier service as all the courier services having been receiving the same treatment from Customs. They are and we are a captive audience to Customs.

PJT did receive his shipment from EPS and Amazon had enclosed a packing slip with the order number and description of the product and its value in the package. The package had been opened by Customs for inspection. This tacitly reinforces that the behavior of Customs may be lending its support towards Dominican commercials interests who have grievance against the under $200 duty exemption. There was no real need for them to request an invoice.

Regards,

PJT

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
For sure if you can find where they sell a better value. So I needed 2 battery caps for my truck. Drove around to 6 auto stores and 45 miles to find these items. No go. On Ebay 1200 of them at 4US a pack. So do not tell me that I should drive to SD and get the run around there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I use "EPS".
Have for decades.
I get a shipment at least once a week.
Other than a slight delay around Christmas time,everything is arriving as usual.
Which is 2 or 3 days after arriving at EPS Miami.
Never anything over $200, no "Fees", or "Delays"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC