Good Car Body Paint Shop in Sosua?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I had some body work and painting done on my two vehicles that were involved in an accident at Jan's (Max car wash ) in Sosua and was very pleased with the work. Paint matched perfectly

Bob K

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
I had some body work and painting done on my two vehicles that were involved in an accident at Jan's (Max car wash ) in Sosua and was very pleased with the work. Paint matched perfectly

Bob K

Bob what sort of money would i expect to pay to have a car repainted black, or blue...nothing fancy...no artwork
???

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I have no idea on prices. You sill have to stop in and ask. He is an honest guy to work with and he delivers what he says he will.

Bob K

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
A year back, we've been quoted RD$80'000 for a non-metallic exterior repaint in the OEM color (all trims removed) at "ARTURO" in Puerto Plata. I used to go to Arturo back in the days when "Arturo" the father was running the outfit... he retired about 3 years ago and I don't seem able to have the same relationship with his son (I would use them hands down for any insurance business thou). I thought that RD$80'000 which back then was about USD2000.oo was over the top. I can have a "resale-repaint" in a back shop around Miami for less than a grand with similar expectations.
Automotive paint is much more expensive here in the DR (at least double the cost of US), that's true, but on the other hand... labor is not and expectations can only be limited due to the lack of professional knowledge and training possibilities. It's in general AMAZING how "Dominican"-made things here are outlandishly expensive (badly made furniture is just an example)

For comparison: I own several historic vehicles in the US... if I do a "repaint" all trims and rubber removed (and these cars have a ton of trims) at a HotRod specialty shop with bake-in oven and dust free spray cabin (only Arturo has one here on the North Coast btw), on a late 50's "land yacht"... about $5000.oo. These are trained professionals with a professional pride with real salaries working in an immaculate "clinic"-like environment, all work guaranteed and subject to client's approval... (all those "little details" you will never get here).

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
And here's a related tip: Are your headlights fogged over from the sun? Try rubbing them with a cloth sprayed with bug repellent.

You'll be surprised how good they look.

The 'Nam kind'a repellent with DEET?... HA! YES! That stuff melts surfaces! (kind'a like polishing aluminum... it won't polish really! you polish so fast and hot it gives it a quick surface melt!)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
sh--....paint is a little higher here but labor is much cheaper rent is nothing most time....300us gotta cover a real good job...100 for paint and 200$ for the owner.... ive got the skills ...ill hire a guy watch him teach him do the mixing see if he has any hand eye skills(needed for spray) and keep 150$ for me...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in gurabo you got plenty of shops....private ones one car at a time....in santi near the water comp headquarters. there is a big body shop near a neon sign place....all these places you can haggle but remember ...keep on top of them watch dont pay all at once etc...check before spraying ............and remember they see you $$$coming....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Let us know how it works out.

Bob K

I will but it will take some time. I will be out for 2 months.

I just got another quote from a "patio" shop in Sosua which came recommended to me too.
Same job description, same vehicle... RD$55'000.oo ... over 50% over the previous one! When I asked how so so much... he said it will take a lot of sanding... I saw the guy sanding next to me on a different vehicle... didn't even have flip flop... typical case of "expensive" Dominican labor.

Some won't believe it, but I have come to realize that the bigger guys, the ones with a real outfit, do more business, tend to be cheaper than the ones which look like out of Mad Max 1.

... J-D.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I will but it will take some time. I will be out for 2 months.

I just got another quote from a "patio" shop in Sosua which came recommended to me too.
Same job description, same vehicle... RD$55'000.oo ... over 50% over the previous one! When I asked how so so much... he said it will take a lot of sanding... I saw the guy sanding next to me on a different vehicle... didn't even have flip flop... typical case of "expensive" Dominican labor.

Some won't believe it, but I have come to realize that the bigger guys, the ones with a real outfit, do more business, tend to be cheaper than the ones which look like out of Mad Max 1.

... J-D.

theres a shop right outside p.p. going to santi on the right hand side....always has toyota 4x4s there....check him alot of sanding thats funny....