Cardinals to build a new ball field is Sosua

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, Very nice gesture. His Dad will be throwing out the first pitch and the uniforms will have his number on a small patch. A Ball Field in Sosua is a great idea.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Drunk, kills an innocent young girl and he gets a stadium in his honor? Why? A ball field in Sosua? Why not a hospital instead?

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Drunk, kills an innocent young girl and he gets a stadium in his honor? Why? A ball field in Sosua? Why not a hospital instead?

I agree.

Posters calling this a "Nice gesture ?????? What on earth are you people thinking ?

read this :

According to a toxicology report presented to the family and team, Taveras was legally drunk at the time of the accident. He was driving at a high speed, in a rainstorm, and his blood alcohol level was five times the local legal limit.

This is disgusting. What's next ? How about a stadium for Mark David Chapman or a walkway for James Earl Ray?

Last edited:

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
While I agree Taveras is an asshole for doing what he did the money is coming from a private source and I do not think the
kids should be without the improvements to the stadium as a matter of principle.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i wonder how long that project is going to take....(in the real world it shouldnt take so long....but here??? lets see///

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
No one is condoning the behavior that led to two deaths. A small town (the locals) still mourns the death of their favorite son. Remembering him in no way makes driving too fast with Too much alcohol acceptable, but it also can and will lead to influence some kids to Not do as he did. Breaking the macho behavior can become a teaching moment for the youth of Sosua. I've heard Tias and Tios and even my POP Bartender talk about the lesson that can and need to be learned.
Nothing grumpy expats opine can change the regard he is held in by the locals. The Cardinals are doing the right thing.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The cards are doing the right thing I agree. But when I pulled an asshole stunt I got a DUI. must be nice to be in the MLB!!!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
the majors...should ban players from driving...they did it with mowing their own lawn years ago,,, now they(players) not allowed to cut their own grass....driving in d.r. on vacation ???nightime ????

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
At 22 years old, a young Dominican with a butt load of talent and a new found wealth beyond his wildest dreams goes out and gets drunk and drives beyond his capabilities. It cost him his life and everything he cared about. A really big price to pay for a big night out. But...who amongst us didn't get drunk and behave with poor judgement at 22 years old? The only difference is that most of us got away with our stupid behavior, he didn't. He paid the ultimate price. The end results, Sosua gets an awesome ball field. Cut the boy some slack. He wasn't a villain.

Combo

Mar 29, 2011
The cards are doing the right thing I agree. But when I pulled an asshole stunt I got a DUI. must be nice to be in the MLB!!!

He died. That's worse than getting a DUI, don't ya think?

Having said that, I agree with the others that his behavior shouldn't be condoned. But the field will be a good thing for the community.