Back in DR - Ironing out the wrinkles

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Arrived here on Sunday, a month later than planned because of my surgeries, still ironing out the wrinkles.

1. The car. You may remember we shipped a car in December 2013, and I was worried about it sitting for months. We parked it in a locked garage, with a car cover. Removed the battery into the house, filled the inside of the car with Bounce sheets as recommended here. I didn't specifically say to put them in the engine area too, so that didn't get done. Uncovered it when we got here, dug out jumper cables, opened front hood, and got a bit worried because there was a lot - a lot - of rodent poop. Guess they didn't like the accommodations because there thankfully was no damage to the wires. Car started on first turn, and is fine.

2. Inverter trouble. We have two inverters, one for the house, and one just for the fridge. The house one needed new batteries last August, very aggravating because we had just bought them new in January. We got here and found out the batteries on the big inverter [fridge] will not hold a charge, so when the electric goes so does the fridge power after about 30 minutes. Starting a new thread about batteries, need opinions.

3. Plumbing trouble. Suffice it to say that we're taking cold showers because the on-demand gas heater doesn't want to heat. Not so terrible in April, pretty bad in January. Today some hose coming from the pump broke, and everything is closed for the holiday :(

4. Laundry trouble. Big Whirlpool washer. It doesn't run unless the top is closed. Was touch and go, sometimes wouldn't spin because it thought the cover was open - but it was not only closed, but locked. Had to force it open to get the clothes out. Can't do laundry.

This morning when Mr. AE was ranting about the broken hose, I reminded him to "remember where you are", and he laughed and it broke the bad mood.

Not everything has gone wrong. When we pulled into the driveway, the first thing we saw were the boxes we had shipped down - they arrived about 2 hours before we did. The maid had cleaned the house, washed the linens, washed and rehung all the curtains, etc.

We have new neighbors, Dominicans from Brooklyn who have a home in SD and have bought 14 tareas that back up to ours to build a weekend retreat.

Good to be back.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have never had a worse start than this year.
unlike you , I am only absent for 2 months or so

Lightning fried one invertor, my planta and who knows what else

my fridge now beeps when the door opens - not when its open too long

many things are backwards now

BUT --- we installed the pure water system
new solar panel and reiwred everything -- oh, did I say all the connections had rotted ( 6yrs)

mucho dinero... but I have spent nothing over the 6 yrs

Ahah, the planatnos are 30 ft high and are starting to fall over from their HUGE weight...

ongoing trimming... from on top of the Jeep... 3 muchachos and we drag the refuse by Jeep

THE WORST RE-ENTRY .....

next stop Canada... new roof and driveway

just shoot me

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Arrived here on Sunday, a month later than planned because of my surgeries, still ironing out the wrinkles.

1. The car. You may remember we shipped a car in December 2013, and I was worried about it sitting for months. We parked it in a locked garage, with a car cover. Removed the battery into the house, filled the inside of the car with Bounce sheets as recommended here. I didn't specifically say to put them in the engine area too, so that didn't get done. Uncovered it when we got here, dug out jumper cables, opened front hood, and got a bit worried because there was a lot - a lot - of rodent poop. Guess they didn't like the accommodations because there thankfully was no damage to the wires. Car started on first turn, and is fine.

2. Inverter trouble. We have two inverters, one for the house, and one just for the fridge. The house one needed new batteries last August, very aggravating because we had just bought them new in January. We got here and found out the batteries on the big inverter [fridge] will not hold a charge, so when the electric goes so does the fridge power after about 30 minutes. Starting a new thread about batteries, need opinions.

3. Plumbing trouble. Suffice it to say that we're taking cold showers because the on-demand gas heater doesn't want to heat. Not so terrible in April, pretty bad in January. Today some hose coming from the pump broke, and everything is closed for the holiday :(

4. Laundry trouble. Big Whirlpool washer. It doesn't run unless the top is closed. Was touch and go, sometimes wouldn't spin because it thought the cover was open - but it was not only closed, but locked. Had to force it open to get the clothes out. Can't do laundry.

This morning when Mr. AE was ranting about the broken hose, I reminded him to "remember where you are", and he laughed and it broke the bad mood.

Not everything has gone wrong. When we pulled into the driveway, the first thing we saw were the boxes we had shipped down - they arrived about 2 hours before we did. The maid had cleaned the house, washed the linens, washed and rehung all the curtains, etc.

We have new neighbors, Dominicans from Brooklyn who have a home in SD and have bought 14 tareas that back up to ours to build a weekend retreat.

Good to be back.

Well, for what it's worth

I feel great, and everything is going pretty
good....

Of course, I'm busting big time....

Other than all this NE Patriots cheating stuff....

Hang in there good things happen
to good people....

Happy New Year!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We did have some pleasant surprises on the property. Racimos of bananas ready to be cut, including one of guineo manzanas, the tiny, fat bananas that have an apple flavor. Picked about 15 avocados today, and more than that of giant mangos [jamagi], and the gota de oro mango trees are loaded with flowers. Endless guandules [maid picked a bunch, and I helped her shuck them, for every one I opened she did 10, haha], yuca, squash.

A neighbor who has been friends with Mr. AE since they were small boys came by last night with a sack of coconuts [he knows I love them], gota de oro mangos and a bag of caimito, which I also love.

Maybe this post belongs in the positive DR stories thread :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before i felt for xmas holiday we started redoing bathrooms. still going when i left. i came back to find bath towel hanger inside the shower and hand towel hanger about 20 cm above the sink. to make matters worse the toilet was, for some reason moved further away from the wall and a TP hanger was installed on the wall behind the toilet, almost at a floor level. i arrived home after about 24 hours in cars, buses and planes, zombiefied after popping one dramamine after another, with acute bronchitis and conjunctivitis. i sat on that wretched toilet, localized TP holder, reached for it and heard a crack. luckily, i did not accidentally open the second anus but i snapped my back. smoothing the wrinkles, indeed.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Glad the dryer sheets worked in the interior of the car and that it is fine. Hope you have a great visit.

:classic: mob

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
o, and i just realized we both forgot our wedding anniversary. :bored:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
o, and i just realized we both forgot our wedding anniversary. :bored:

dont worry, i am also used to forget those sucessfully.
heck, after 8 ex-wifes, am i named Einstein or what??

Mike
btw, on more than one ocassion the actual Mrs happily received a small gift or some flowers, she never complained, and once i found out of course i never told here that i was on a wrong date. since then i play it safe and just forget them, that's less of looking for trouble than congratulations on the wrong darn date.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
all i can say is that we are both consistent: each year we forget. heck, first time around i had to look for marriage certificate because we could not remember the date...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My sister got married on my birthday, and I got married on hers. That doesn't help our husbands though.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri, that means you never celebrate each otha Sista's birthdays anymore together, as each Sista is chasing the Hubby for forgetting about the honey date

Mike
We're rarely in the same country to celebrate our birthday-anniversaries anyway; we just congratulate each other on Skype. :)

Was this on purpose of fluke?
My sister got married first and the only date available for the reception - she says - was my birthday. Even though it didn't bother me, she was apologetic about it, as if she thought she was stealing my thunder or whatever... Anyway, she had a biggish do, and in the middle of the reception a birthday cake was brought out to my table and all present sang Happy Birthday.

When setting the date for my own wedding later that same year, I thought it would be mildly amusing to have it on her birthday as a way of returning the compliment. Coincidentally, we had to pick a day around that date anyway. We got married without telling anyone and the date gave me a pretext for phoning her on the day, knowing all the family would be together that afternoon, to make my announcement.

manny20

Oct 2, 2012
Trojan batteries for inverter at my folks house still running strong,might be good idea to buy that gallon of batterie cleaner To wet them once in a while

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had our wedding date tatooed on my arm, doesn't help!
Men want to forget about bad experiences.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

perhaps you need to re-do it..... which way does it face ? ?

turn it around so you can read it !!
you won't get the year and the day mixed up that way