Crawfish, mud dogs or langostino.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I love good extra spicy crawfish boil and I happened to heard DR has langostino/crawfish.
If true, I am going to order year or two worth of Zatarains seasoning and bring them in.
I know the season has started in LA but when and where can I get some in DR?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I love good extra spicy crawfish boil and I happened to heard DR has langostino/crawfish.
If true, I am going to order year or two worth of Zatarains seasoning and bring them in.
I know the season has started in LA but when and where can I get some in DR?

mudBUGS is a southern name for crawfish, a freshwater shrimp. langostino is a seawater variant of a lobster. two different crustaceans.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
mudBUGS is a southern name for crawfish, a freshwater shrimp. langostino is a seawater variant of a lobster. two different crustaceans.

Someone here in my factory told me, langostino=crawfish.
Anyway. ..
I want to know If all the goodies that we used to FedEx them in from Louisiana is available here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Someone here in my factory told me, langostino=crawfish.
Anyway. ..
I want to know If all the goodies that we used to FedEx them in from Louisiana is available here.

bring in your own crab and shrimp boil. even if you run into it by happenstance, it will be 5 times what you pay for it in the US.

the guy in your factory told you wrong. a langostino is just a small lobster.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Whatever they call them, there are freshwater prawns here in the DR. I've seen them for sale on the autopisto near Bonao and Villa Altagracia.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
bring in your own crab and shrimp boil. even if you run into it by happenstance, it will be 5 times what you pay for it in the US.

the guy in your factory told you wrong. a langostino is just a small lobster.

hmmm.
I just confirm with the pictures and asked if it's fresh water kind.
And the answers were YES.

Wikipedia seems to agree langostino=crayfish=crawfish=muddogs.

Langostino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Wikky gets it wrong again. Langostino and crawfish are two different animals.

What ever they call it here. It looks like, they do eat them here with white sauce.
I am going to order boil from amazon.

5 lb per person+cooler full of light beers sounds just right...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Wikky gets it wrong again. Langostino and crawfish are two different animals.

The words are wrongly interchangeably used in different countries, for example,

in The Bahamas Bahamians call (Spiny) Lobster '"Crawfish"
in the DR = Small Lobster are often wrongly called "Langostino"
in the DR 'Langostino' should be big river shrimp or 'crayfish' or mudbugs in the south of US.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A local diver just sold us a bag of langostinos, maybe 5-6 pounds of them.

Anyone know when the ban kicks in?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i would not say they are here "wrongfully" called Langostino, those small caribbean salty lobsters, it is simple matter of fact that in the DR the small lobsters are called Langostinos, doesn't matter how the same or completely different animals are named in other countries.
yes, you get the big sweetwater shrimpies etc etc along the autopistas and on different crossings sold, but dont forget about the dangers of anything of sweetwater lifestock, Cholera will stick around at least an other 150 years and still spreading/expanding territory. just because you do not hear anything in the news anymore does not mean that those big rivers are now due some kinda Maagic safe to swim in and safe to eat what's swimming in there.
i personally would not touch anything sweetwater sold o the street, i would not touch anything sweetwater as long as i didn't see with my own eyes where it been taken out from.

Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The ONLY "Street Vendor", Sweet,OR Saltwater fish, crustasion, or bi valve I ever eat is Red Snapper deep fried by Haitian ladies!
Not much survives that cooking process!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
CCCCCCCCCC,
why buy good red snapper if you anyways just deep fry the stuff?
you could by any cheapy no name fish or some pieces of a Barracuda for deep fryings,
no need to pay the price for a Red Snapper, lol

Mike

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
because it tastes great. Sure, 'cuda is good when fried, but snapper renders the best, IMO.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Reminds me of a 'cuda throwdown in Great Inagua. They were fish who'd never made it out to the reef, and were so jam packed into the creek,you couldn't see bottom. Would fight over an empty hook.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Rollout, you need to get it done slowly in the gas-oven, then Red Snapper has great taste.
at a fishing place frying red snapper means you are in danger to get shot for your bad behavior, lol.
or do it slowly on a BBQ, but Not Fried, slowly, so it stays soft/juicy.

Mike

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Grew up in New Orleans. Been living in the DR for 3 years now. Never seen crawfish for sale down here. I try to avoid eating anything that comes from the river or brackish water inlets.