CAVEAT EMPTOR! Counterfeit $100s

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
A heads-up to all businesses in the Sosua/POP area: counterfeit US $100s are being passed. I manage a small hotel and we had a walk-in. A very well-dressed, well-spoken, polite Dominican-American. Gave a New Jersey address, stayed for one night, and checked out early in the morning, giving my Dominican manager a US$100 bill. We took it for cambio, and the bill is counterfeit.

The feel is slippery, and upon closer examination, it consists of two layers stuck together. The bill is very slightly wider than a real bill, and Ben Franklin is a little further off to the left than he should be.

We went to the police and filed a report. We dusted off our ultra-violet light that scans cash, and we will be using it consistently from now on.

Beware!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
this would be a case of caveat venditor, or seller beware.

did you see the guy give your manager the bill? i am sure your guy is as pure as the driven snow, but i know of guys who have pulled this off before at the front desk. they bring in their own bogus bill, pocket the real McCoy, and stick the owner with the trash bill.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We had it happen in the school in November. Two $100 US bills that were very good counterfeits that required a ultra-violent light at the bank to determine that they were fakes. Earlier this month we got a counterfeit 200 peso note, and the bank told us there were both fake 2000 and 500 peso notes around, so you have to examine every frigging note.

gibbs

May 31, 2005
US bills have watermarks and metal strips on $100.00, even on $20.00 Are you saying that they even duplicated that??

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
US bills have watermarks and metal strips on $100.00, even on $20.00 Are you saying that they even duplicated that??

Great duplicate of the watermark, less than perfect on the metal strip, but it was there as were the raised bumps on the paper.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
did you see the guy give your manager the bill? i am sure your guy is as pure as the driven snow, but i know of guys who have pulled this off before at the front desk. they bring in their own bogus bill, pocket the real McCoy, and stick the owner with the trash bill.

Thanks for the correction on the Latin.

For the record: my Dominican manager is beyond reproach. He has been with us for 33 years and the place would not be in business were it not for him.

Jan 9, 2004
A heads-up to all businesses in the Sosua/POP area: counterfeit US $100s are being passed. I manage a small hotel and we had a walk-in. A very well-dressed, well-spoken, polite Dominican-American. Gave a New Jersey address, stayed for one night, and checked out early in the morning, giving my Dominican manager a US$100 bill. We took it for cambio, and the bill is counterfeit.

The feel is slippery, and upon closer examination, it consists of two layers stuck together. The bill is very slightly wider than a real bill, and Ben Franklin is a little further off to the left than he should be.

We went to the police and filed a report. We dusted off our ultra-violet light that scans cash, and we will be using it consistently from now on.

Beware!

Due diligence!

As you indicated he was a Dominican-American, did you make a copy of his Passport?

In the future....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 9, 2004
There is a special pen in the US for checking bills. Anyone know if they work on DR bills too?

Save your money...so many ways to defeat those....and most counterfeiters know how.

Even the UV light mentioned above is not foolproof.

DR currency is printed in Europe (London)...not sure if the pen would even work on it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thanks for the correction on the Latin.

For the record: my Dominican manager is beyond reproach. He has been with us for 33 years and the place would not be in business were it not for him.

my suggestion was that even though your guy might not do it, i am familiar with cases wherein the cashier has pulled the old switcheroo on the owner.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
There is a special pen in the US for checking bills. Anyone know if they work on DR bills too?

Yes the special pen works on the older bills. However there is still a problem. The counterfeiters bleach the ink off the $1 bills, and they reprint them with $100 images. Works very well on the older bills and is hard to detect.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
My favorite was a young pair of Cubanos got a couple of jackets that said FBI on the back and a couple of phony badges and walked into small Cuban owned stores in Miami and asked to see the cash. They'd pick out several bills telling the owners that they were counterfeit and sign a recpt for them and walk out.

Brilliant!! Wish I had the nads to pull it off. There's a couple of cuban stores I'd seek revenge on.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ha ha ha the new 100$us bills at first are looking fakes.....halograms strips etc...

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
My favorite was a young pair of Cubanos got a couple of jackets that said FBI on the back and a couple of phony badges and walked into small Cuban owned stores in Miami and asked to see the cash. They'd pick out several bills telling the owners that they were counterfeit and sign a recpt for them and walk out.

That's from the movie midnight run. Here's the scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxQrE0BpixI