musica de palos

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I just got back from the northern part of the DR and heard for the first time this musica de palos.. a drum-based, religious congregation- sounding kind of music..., i was enthralled. I loved it right away, I cant get enough of it now... I know little about it, but I found it absolutely amazing......just thought I d share...

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
just played by a DJ at a billiard hall in sosua on Dia de la Altagracia... nothing special but the music they played all afternoon was called palo and I loved it..

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
It's traditional african drums with a call back ... I say "call back" (that's how we called in where I was growing up) because the lead singer sings/chants his lead phrase and the background singers chant or answer back. Amstellite I understand why you loved it at first listen, it's intoxicating in whatever language... swahili, spanish or creole English. The drums play a big part... man those drums are intoxicating

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's very common where we live, lots of drumming for lots of reasons. It's used here for religious celebrations [big one is St. Anthony], and when there is a death.

It goes on for hours.

When it's dark and the drums start beating it reminds me of the old movies - the drums in the jungle right before the natives attack :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
It's very common where we live, lots of drumming for lots of reasons. It's used here for religious celebrations [big one is St. Anthony], and when there is a death.

It goes on for hours.

When it's dark and the drums start beating it reminds me of the old movies - the drums in the jungle right before the natives attack :)

The innacuracy of these old movies :tired:... we always played the drums after we ate our captives :laugh:

b?rbaro

Jul 9, 2014
the palos are the drums, it's really afro

the big drum is called palo mayor

they've got similar things in other countries like hait?, cuba or brazil

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
It is played on certain religious occasions during the year. The last one was La Virgen de Altagarcia day last week. The next official one is in October I believe. But, you can use is for special religious occasions also. Pretty sure it is not a mainstream Catholic thing although they are all good Catholics. Source: my gf and her father play the music.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i googled it and it's as dreadful as i imagined. does no one here like katy perry or what?

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
I just got back from the northern part of the DR and heard for the first time this musica de palos.. a drum-based, religious congregation- sounding kind of music..., i was enthralled. I loved it right away, I cant get enough of it now... I know little about it, but I found it absolutely amazing......just thought I d share...

Just be careful, do not let any good or bad spirits take over your body :nervous: This music is very common deep deep in the country side. Kinito Mendez has some very nice songs featuring "Palos music"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They were marching up and down our road at 5-6 a.m. today, for a couple of hours, drumming and singing. No idea what for, all I know is it started my day off on the wrong foot :(

Aug 21, 2007
Chrisgy is right. It sounds like the traditional tribal music I heard when I lived in remote areas of Ghana. The line and then call back are communicating a message, as are the different drum beats. It is amazing that this style of music has moved across the ocean and is performed to this very day.

Thanks for sharing the video. It brought back fond memories.

Lindsey