7 million pesos per day in phantom tolls

Feb 7, 2007
Phantom tolls (peajes fantasma) of 7 million RD pesos per day, that is the amount the DR government has to pay to the Colombian company that built the Samana Highway. This money is in addition to the tolls collected, which were increased by roughly 11 pesos a few weeks ago.

Phantom tolls correspond to a "guaranteed revenue" the Colombian company was given under the contract to build Samana highway, and corresponds to the money the DR government has to pay to top up uncollected revenue (phantom tolls = guaranteed revenue - actual collected tolls).

Z101 in Gobierno de la Ma?ana reported today, 27/1/2015, that last year 2.5 billion pesos was paid as "phantom tolls" to the Colombian company operating the Samana highway.

" The contract was negotiate during Hippolito government with Miguel Vargas as the minister of public works, and the contract was implemented and given final go-ahead during Leonel's government with Victor Diaz Rua as the minister of public works.

We all are paying 7 million pesos per day, coming form our taxes, to pay the private Colombian company for the tolls of cars that do not transit the Samana Highway. Inaddition, the vehicles that transit the mentioned highway, are subject to usury tolls, all as a result of this contract with fraudulent and usury terms,"
Z101 reported.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Phantom tolls (peajes fantasma) of 7 million RD pesos per day, that is the amount the DR government has to pay to the Colombian company that built the Samana Highway. This money is in addition to the tolls collected, which were increased by roughly 11 pesos a few weeks ago.

Phantom tolls correspond to a "guaranteed revenue" the Colombian company was given under the contract to build Samana highway, and corresponds to the money the DR government has to pay to top up uncollected revenue (phantom tolls = guaranteed revenue - actual collected tolls).

Z101 in Gobierno de la Ma?ana reported today, 27/1/2015, that last year 2.5 billion pesos was paid as "phantom tolls" to the Colombian company operating the Samana highway.

" The contract was negotiate during Hippolito government with Miguel Vargas as the minister of public works, and the contract was implemented and given final go-ahead during Leonel's government with Victor Diaz Rua as the minister of public works.

We all are paying 7 million pesos per day, coming form our taxes, to pay the private Colombian company for the tolls of cars that do not transit the Samana Highway. Inaddition, the vehicles that transit the mentioned highway, are subject to usury tolls, all as a result of this contract with fraudulent and usury terms,"
Z101 reported.

Yes, it was a difficult and expensive road to build and well worth it but the DR gov at the time, gave away the farm to get it done. The tolls are ridiculous. If you are going to charge high tolls than charge people on motor bikes as well. The stretch from El Catey to LT is absolutely one of the most scenic roads and high toll roads I have ever driven on. The gov would be better off reducing the cost on this stretch to encourage more use.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
The DR representatives signed the contract and now they are complaining that is expensive? Too bad.

The tolls are high but there are other routes and lower tolls may not yield greater revenue.

I don't see any solution. Well maybe shutdown the other route and force everyone to pay the toll.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Saman? Zoo

.... maybe shutdown the other route and force everyone to pay the toll.

This was the plan when they built the 'El Catey' toll station. :rambo:

After the people's recation they thought again.... :dead:
[That's why they put the small container office at the entrance of the 'Bulev?r Atlantico'.]

{If they charged people to visit the 'Saman? Peninsula Zoo', the zoo animals would certainly burn down the 'ticket booth'.... }

donP

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you ever see the houses (They BOTH have more than one!)of "Hippolito",...& "Miguel", you won't have to ask "Porque"!!!!!!
Vargas' house in Casa de Campo is bigger than some hotels!!!!!
The "DEAL" with the electricity generators is MUCH WORSE!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Turn the useless Military into road / school / hospital builders, they are already on the payroll. Is that not what Costa Rico did?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Hippolito govt? signed contract when????was that...
sounds to me like a major cluster f+++... I couldnt imagine going to contract w/company and paying them ...and then giving the revenue away that comes from what i built....

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I am actually thinking of building something in d.r. actually a project that hopefully will make $ FOR ME.!!!!!!!!!!...
how would i feed myself if i gave the $$ away...(doms. understand that) cant eat w/no money$...

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Feign outrage, make some arrests of retired officials (with perp walks) involved in the deal and threaten to nationalize the the whole project unless the Colombians renegotiate.

As an aside I have to admit it's a good looking road.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I recall PICHARDO posting that the new expressway from the North Coast to Santiago was to be built with the same miserable business model. That road seems to have gone the way of smart guns and e-currency.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Normally you drive the 20 or so kilometers from the Coson roundabout to the toll booth and maybe see only a couple of vehicles going in each direction

You must be thinking of the highway to Las Terrenas. This thread is about the highway from Nagua to Santo Domingo, isn't it?

Was the Las Terrenas highway included in the Nagua-Sto Dgo stretch, or was there a separate deal for that?

Feb 7, 2007
The DR representatives signed the contract and now they are complaining that is expensive? Too bad.

The tolls are high but there are other routes and lower tolls may not yield greater revenue.

I don't see any solution. Well maybe shutdown the other route and force everyone to pay the toll.

Shut down which route? The one through San Francisco de Macoris? We are not talking here about a 20 km road stretch to Las Terrenas

Obras P?blicas abre carretera Santo Domingo-Saman? - DiarioLibre.com

It cost 150 million USD to build, yet the Colombian company receives 56.5 million USD in "unpaid tolls" plus the actual toll revenue (RD 2.5 billion, as assigned in 2015 budget). Assume The toll revenue is another 56.5 million USD... so they get 113 million USD revenue per year... how much do they spend in maintenance? Maybe 10%... so that's over 100 million USD NET income per year ... a 66% YEARLY ROI. Warren Buffet would kill for such ROI.

But let's assume they got no tolls, and "only" received 56.5 million USD state money... spending 11 million USD on maintenance, still 45 million USD NET PROFIT per year... or 30% ANNUAL ROI. Warren Buffet and George Soros would still kill for such annual ROI.

The contract WAS FRAUD, IS FRAUD, and will REMAIN FRAUD if the government keep paying up these "phantom tolls". The DR government should renegotiate, and if the Colombians will be stubborn, they should nationalize and pay the Colombians back the construction cost adjusted for inflation - about 185 million USD with cumulative inflation adjustment. Let them have the already received "tolls" and "state money" as their "profit". They would still walk away with a nice tidy profit made from the deal.

Feb 7, 2007
If you ever see the houses (They BOTH have more than one!)of "Hippolito",...& "Miguel", you won't have to ask "Porque"!!!!!!
Vargas' house in Casa de Campo is bigger than some hotels!!!!!
The "DEAL" with the electricity generators is MUCH WORSE!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

And the idiot Hippo wants to run for PRM and he thinks he will win primaries. I really hope Abinader will pull some muscle and be nominated PRM candidate. That is probably the only one who could stand against Leon.

Even though many in PLD are supporting and calling for Medina's reelection, they would need 147 votes out of 190 deputies to change the constitution, and even if all PRD/PRM/PRSC supported this, El Rey Leon has 47 votes "assured" for whatever he decides to do. So a D.M. reelection seems like a very, very difficult and unlikely proposition. In that case I really hope Leon will not win the internal PLD ballot, and somebody else, for example Francisco Javier, will be nominated.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

It cost 150 million USD to build, yet the Colombian company receives 56.5 million USD in "unpaid tolls" plus the actual toll revenue (RD 2.5 billion, as assigned in 2015 budget). Assume The toll revenue is another 56.5 million USD... so they get 113 million USD revenue per year... how much do they spend in maintenance? Maybe 10%... so that's over 100 million USD NET income per year ... a 66% YEARLY ROI. Warren Buffet would kill for such ROI.

But let's assume they got no tolls, and "only" received 56.5 million USD state money... spending 11 million USD on maintenance, still 45 million USD NET PROFIT per year... or 30% ANNUAL ROI. Warren Buffet and George Soros would still kill for such annual ROI.

The contract WAS FRAUD, IS FRAUD, and will REMAIN FRAUD if the government keep paying up these "phantom tolls". The DR government should renegotiate, and if the Colombians will be stubborn, they should nationalize and pay the Colombians back the construction cost adjusted for inflation - about 185 million USD with cumulative inflation adjustment. Let them have the already received "tolls" and "state money" as their "profit". They would still walk away with a nice tidy profit made from the deal.

funny on the gold deal they re negoiate....(sp)and here nothing???

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

shi- i myself lov 30% and find it hard to sell things that do this well...