cosmopolitan and latin mutually exclusive?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.
Since I last posted here I have visited Central America twice, staying for a total of about 3 months.
It was not bad. Wonderful at times.

But I am an artist. I need supplies, like many of you need beer. Seriously.

To the point, I felt the sloooooooooooow pace of everything and difficulty finding artist communities (they typically abound at coffee houses, galleries, bars and universities in the States) very hard to deal with on a daily basis.

My question, with regard to DR, is whether I would find the same set of circumstances there. Or, is there a city there where REAL coffee houses, artist supply stores, galleries, etc. abound? Methinks not... just askin`...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"The arts" flourish in places where there is sufficient money to support them. When those places are hard to impossible to find, you are looking the wrong countries.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Uh... just so you guys know, the likes and dislikes registered by me just now were not intentional.

I was just trying to `like` winedguy`s statement.

Thanks all for the replies.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I like those paintings you stare at for 15 minutes and then you see a dinosaur amidst a bunch of dots.

Much better than modern art and costs less.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a collection of Artists in Jarabacoa, some very talented, and an art galley/caf?/bar as well as an Art school. Most of the artists in Jarabacoa are not from Jarabacoa- look up Juan Bravo, Porfirio Ferrer. There is a woman from Argentina whose paintings are amazing, very talented. Numerous others.
Come to Jarabacoa and go to the cafe'- several speak English very well, and as always there are artists willing to share.
Santo Domingo has a number of Galleries and I think the Museo de Arte Moderno is pretty good.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a collection of Artists in Jarabacoa, some very talented, and an art galley/caf?/bar as well as an Art school. Most of the artists in Jarabacoa are not from Jarabacoa- look up Juan Bravo, Porfirio Ferrer. There is a woman from Argentina whose paintings are amazing, very talented. Numerous others.
Come to Jarabacoa and go to the cafe'- several speak English very well, and as always there are artists willing to share.
Santo Domingo has a number of Galleries and I think the Museo de Arte Moderno is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fej...&x-yt-ts=1422327029&feature=player_detailpage
GALERIA DE ARTE DOMINICANA: Porfirio Ferrer

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Have you tried Mexico city? Near Chapultapec Park there is an art district one can get lost in.

I want to, but the American media has me scared ****less that I will be captured, tortured, ransomed and killed, not necessarily in that order, if I linger in the wrong part of Mexico.

If you have insight on Mexico (I found the Mexicans and Nicaraguans I met along the way far more friendly than Costa Ricans and Panamanians), feel free to pm me. I do not wish to get the thread locked by an irritated moderator.

Peace.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I want to, but the American media has me scared ****less that I will be captured, tortured, ransomed and killed, not necessarily in that order, if I linger in the wrong part of Mexico.

If you have insight on Mexico (I found the Mexicans and Nicaraguans I met along the way far more friendly than Costa Ricans and Panamanians), feel free to pm me. I do not wish to get the thread locked by an irritated moderator.

Peace.

I asked my former Spanish teacher, from Campeche Mexico, and she told me that if she was a foreign artist she would go to Quer?taro Mexico for the art scene. Low crime rate, lots of history, and relatively close to everything. Here in the DR there are lots of artists, and many of them are very good but I don't know if there's really an arts community,