Sending Mountain BIKES to DR

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Want to send 2 used mountain bikes (price range of 600 or so new, 250 or so used, year 2000 and up) to DR for some kids to use. I live in Wisconsin and to ship a bike to a Mudanza is probably more expensive than to ship to DR. So, do I buy a bike close to the Mudanza and have them pick it up?? Alterego noted that she shipped bikes freestanding, not in box, for 40 each, but that scares me a bit in terms of theft/damage. Is that warranted??

Is there anyone out there in "Mudanza country" that could help me out if need be? For example, to take a bike from a Craigslist seller to a bike store to box. I would also like to fill boxes from time to time, so would also like to have a loctaion of trustworthy person to ship to, to fill box. I am willing to share a box or pay for a box for the person who helps. I do have DR1 references from senior posters. (This is not charitable work, rather helping to improve the lives of a few good families.) PM ME!!!

I would like to ship to Puerto Pta, Santiago vicinity.

Also, If anyone has a good 16 or 18 inch mountain bike with suspension fork in DR (Santiago/PP vicinity) that they do not use, I would gladly buy it for a reasonable price.

Interesting factoid: I was just in DR for a month and bought a few bikes for some kids/young adults. (I used to own a bike store, so know what to look for in bikes.) Noticed that they all had numbers written on the frames. That led me to believe that they were donated bikes. Talked to the owner of Bici Centro, and, sure enough, these bikes originated from Haiti, shipped there as a donation.

latitude19

May 29, 2011
I did check those websites. Generally the bikes on these sites are overpriced, I think. I can buy a similar quality bike in the US, albeit a few years older, maybe, for about a 1/3 to 1/2 less. The bike is still quite a bit less even with, say, $60 shipping. But, yes, I'll keep a look out on these sites. Thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Four 4 Us

So far we have had 6 MTB's shipped to us in Saman?.
I must say that I did not know much about MTB's when we started, but with the help of Louis (REAL bike shop in LT), my sons now are quite good at repairs (we had to buy a lot of Park Tools... ) and can assess quality better...;)

We bought from ebay:
- GT Aggressor, 16", 7000 Alu, 3x7 Shimano, Suntour SR fork, used, exc. condition;
- Janis Durango Sport, not impressed > sold again;
- 2013 Marin Shoreline Trail, 17", Alu 6061, SS spokes (a must here), 2 disc brakes, 24 speeds;
- Mongoose Status 2.6, 18", Alu, 2 disc brakes, 2 suspensions, > sold again;
- Raleigh Talus 4.0, new, SS spokes, disc brakes, good bike;
- Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 16.5", 27 sp., used, very good cond.

{We still have a "Topbike" MTB, which I brought from Spain (Carrefour), not as good as the above, we rent it out at Louis' and will eventually sell it.}

donP

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Some airlines will allow 1 bike/person for free as sporting equipment. Find someone you trust that also trusts you coming back to DR to bring some with them.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Repecho.com | Clasificados + Bicicletas is another option for used bikes but mostly from Santiago and the Capital and you'll be dealing with Dominicans who, how can i say this nicely, do not always make the process of buying their goods easy :)

I looked for a decent bike at a good price for a long time and eventually imported from the US. As you point out, it is still cheaper in the long run, despite the tax