Odd Car Problem

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The other night Mr. AE hit the car remote to be sure the doors were locked before we went to bed - and got that long screech. He went out there, and the car dashboard shows that both front doors are open. After trying a few things, he gave up and locked them manually. The dash is still showing both doors open.

Anyone run into this before? Know a trustworthy mechanic in SD who could fix this? Car is a Toyota Venza.

I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the car sitting unused while we were in NJ - but it's running perfectly aside from this, and this didn't start until we were here over a week.

May 12, 2005
Could be an electrical issue. Maybe some little critters feasted on the wires while you were away causing a short.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The other night Mr. AE hit the car remote to be sure the doors were locked before we went to bed - and got that long screech. He went out there, and the car dashboard shows that both front doors are open. After trying a few things, he gave up and locked them manually. The dash is still showing both doors open.

Anyone run into this before? Know a trustworthy mechanic in SD who could fix this? Car is a Toyota Venza.

I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the car sitting unused while we were in NJ - but it's running perfectly aside from this, and this didn't start until we were here over a week.

is your security system aftermarket or factory installed?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
try disconnecting the battery of the car. Maybe computer glitch and will reset itself...

Jan 9, 2004

I concur that it is likely a wiring issue...Toyota has had some issues in the door ajar/open category, especially with the Prius. And while those issues were confined to the switches and corrosion, it is best handled by a dealer.

However, I agree with rogerjac above and would try to reset the computer, by disconnecting the battery, waiting briefly, and then reconnecting. Maybe...just maybe.

Of course the ultimate mechanic fix is to put black tape over the lights and ignore them.....seems to work for most taxis in the DR with the check engine light.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I concur that it is likely a wiring issue...Toyota has had some issues in the door ajar/open category, especially with the Prius. And while those issues were confined to the switches and corrosion, it is best handled by a dealer.

However, I agree with rogerjac above and would try to reset the computer, by disconnecting the battery, waiting briefly, and then reconnecting. Maybe...just maybe.

Of course the ultimate mechanic fix is to put black tape over the lights and ignore them.....seems to work for most taxis in the DR with the check engine light.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

all the cars in the DR that have the aftermarket propane kits have the engine lights on all the time, not just the taxicabs.

Jul 28, 2014
Further 2 cents to the electrical portion, which I am believing in as well.There are many additional situations that may cause the problem:

1) Check both the condition of your battery (holds a charge and maintains a good 12v) as well as the alternator is charging it sufficiently.
2) Highly overlooked, but as popular as proper power, make sure the ground from the Anti theft module is connected/grounded properly
3) Check to make sure nobody "monkeyed" with the car while you were away (check under the hood for things awry)
4) If Mr. AE is decent with automotive electrical, he could see if the module itself may be faulty, this can generally be ruled out by insuring all power feeds to the module are correct, and the ground is proper (basically a summary of points 1 & 2, you would be checking at the connector that plugs into the Anti theft module)
5) Are there any issues/or have been, with your ignition in general i.e. no problems with how the key operates within the ignition key cylinder??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember boys, the battery was disconnected for 8 months....

I don't like to 'neutralize' these new computer heavy cars for too long...
I leave mine fully operational with a solar trickle charger (as I have said before)

Even down here when I go away for a few weeks, my man hooks up the trickler for a couple of days a week on each car

May 5, 2007

AE, first see if there is a parts store, mechanic etc. that can quickly attach a scan tool and check for error codes A lot of issues are solved this way for zero dollars

Jan 9, 2004
Remember boys, the battery was disconnected for 8 months....

I don't like to 'neutralize' these new computer heavy cars for too long...
I leave mine fully operational with a solar trickle charger (as I have said before)

Even down here when I go away for a few weeks, my man hooks up the trickler for a couple of days a week on each car

A Toyota TSB urges their own mechanics to perform a reset/reboot for these types of issues by disconnecting and then re-connecting the battery as a beginning troubleshoot.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I bet am oem part was "replaced" by a local.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
This happens to me in the Camry when the wife leaves her pulse in the car with the spare key (remote as it's keyless) Check the seats or just find the other remote to the car. It will give you that squealm or not lock the door if the other remote is in the car. Is it keyless start? If so, then that is the problem.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
those keyless systems irk me .

Now, I clip the thing to my belt loop so I don't lose it or leave it in the car

Luperon, the car is new here - I doubt a mechanic has touched it

as PC2 says, reboot...
as others say, look for the spare fob in the car

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just disconnect the battery and then turn the car keys to try to start the car. this will discharge any capacitors in the electronic system. then after 10 minutes, reconnect the battery. this will reboot every system in car.
so please perform this function 1st and then if its not working, any car electrician will fix the the problem.
AZB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those keyless systems irk me .
Now, I clip the thing to my belt loop so I don't lose it or leave it in the car

the first time i ever drove a car i had a panic attack that i misplaced the keys as i could not remember putting them in my bag. they were, of course, in the ignition. :tired:
i'm pretty sure the keyless system would give me stomach ulcers.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I bet am oem part was "replaced" by a local.

This happens to me in the Camry when the wife leaves her pulse in the car with the spare key (remote as it's keyless) Check the seats or just find the other remote to the car. It will give you that squealm or not lock the door if the other remote is in the car. Is it keyless start? If so, then that is the problem.

just disconnect the battery and then turn the car keys to try to start the car. this will discharge any capacitors in the electronic system. then after 10 minutes, reconnect the battery. this will reboot every system in car.
so please perform this function 1st and then if its not working, any car electrician will fix the the problem.
AZB

We're going to try that this morning, will report back.

It's not a push-button start - we have that on our Lexus at home, and it's a pain.

The car wasn't touched by anyone here while we were here or while we were gone. It was in a locked garage, car cover, battery removed to the house, while we were gone. The keys to the car came back to NJ with us. We left the valet key hidden in case of an emergency.

Yesterday we were in San Cristobal and Mr. AE stopped into an auto parts place to buy something, and talked to the guy at the counter - asked him who he'd recommend to look at the car. Gave him a recommendation and we passed by the shop, but there was nowhere to park so we kept going. I told him it's better he goes back without me anyway, bad enough he's a Dominican with a nice car - throw in a gringa wife and they see $$$$.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Update:

Did the battery disconnect as described by AZB. Didn't work :(

Guess next step is someone who can plug in and diagnose. Could be a chewed wire, as someone suggested, that makes sense to me [a short] because yesterday the light went away for several hours.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Update:

Did the battery disconnect as described by AZB. Didn't work :(

Guess next step is someone who can plug in and diagnose. Could be a chewed wire, as someone suggested, that makes sense to me [a short] because yesterday the light went away for several hours.

I used to have a lot of problems with rats chewing wires in my car - camphor under the bonnet (or hood in your language) does seem to deter them somewhat though as they hate the smell. Very cheap to buy and available in most farmarcias.

Last edited: