Rules regarding real estate and other obvious and not so obvious considerations based

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Rules regarding real estate and other obvious and not so obvious considerations based on my experience. There are no fail safe ways of living in the DR. These work or havent worked for me

When you buy a home outside of an estate with the idea of ?only? living in it for a portion of the year
? Don?t buy a home outside of an estate with the belief that it will be okay sitting all alone and unlived in, for a portion of the year. It must be watched.
? Homes that are cheaper and outside of an estate are attractive for people of meager means but be aware your home will be viewed as an easy target to anyone that walks by, or by your neighbours
? So when you see that beautiful bungalow on the beach with acres of palms around it, and you just have to have it???????STOP AND THINK HOW WILL I PROTECT MY HOME WHEN I?M AWAY
? Hire a real estate or management company to watch your home?. You will pay but how much is your piece of mind worth. One company quoted me $500 a month; I believe there are cheaper companies.
? Always remember that people/companies can take your money and not provide services; you are not in the country to know for sure if they cut your grass or not!!!!! Always get references
? As for me, I eventually found a Haitian gentleman that was very well known to me and others. He proved to be a great worker and honest. I paid him each 3 months in advance ($30us a month) for 1 hours work per month, and via western union. He simply did the basics; cut my grass and trimmed my palms 1* a month. This was a godsend. I locked down everything else i.e. My house and pool room. He had a key to my front gate ONLY and had to report to the estate security. I supplied the lawn mower, gas and machete. This was a life saver for me. It wasn?t a perfect option but it was better than the last foreign American asshole that stole my pool light and transformer. Beware of foreigners that seek to help by offering to manage your home. They are not lying either; they will help themselves to your property. Remember people always want something here...always.
? Have everything locked down? do not give keys to anyone unless they are completely trusted and even then you are taking a risk. These people know your coming and goings. God, one foreigner that managed my home used to bring his girlfriends and mates over, whilst I was away. Then lied to me by saying ?oh my wife decided to prepare your home for you so she washed your sheets for you?? hmmmmm yeah right!!!!.... after you had a roman orgy on top of them
? Renting your home out may be a good option whilst you?re away; however make sure your rental agreement covers you against renter?s rights.
? Consider that some people will not pay their rent, so I suggest renting to people you know well
? All services to be in their name
? 2 months rent in advance

Semi guarded and secure estates
For me the main issue now is security; is it unsafe here? No more or less than anywhere else I would suspect. However I try to mitigate some of the risks
? Firstly if Jose Bonilla, Widmark ? Emmanuelle or Bud from Texas wants to break into your home they can do it. They will find a way?? Let?s get that out of the way
? One hand washes the other here
? Security can turn a blind eye and allow these SOB?s into the estate, but they in turn expect to get a cut of the proceeds from the theft
? Don?t befriend the security or locals working in the area; never let on about your comings and goings to anyone. Story; I used to get a moto concho from Cabarete long before I purchased a car. I finally purchased a car, and had not used a motor concho for 7 years or so. One day I was standing outside of Jenny?s in Cabaret and a motor concho shouted to me; ?I take you to ?..? He quoted my estate and specifically stated my exact address address??. 7 years later!!!!!! How he even knew this I have no idea, however he did KNOW.
? Build a 8 foot fence
? Bars on your window
? Dogs
? Don?t be ostentatious or overtly conspicuous with your wealth. I would love to have a Harley or a Porsche 911. I can afford these things but I know this will bring unwanted attention to me
? Living in an estate requires you to pay monthly fees to the association of owners
? Some require you to pay a one off fee to become a voting member or become a part owner of the association
? Other monthly fees cover the cost of garbage, access or 24 hour electricity, security and ground maintenance; keep in mind you may have to find $80-$300 a month or more each month.Plus the use of 24 hour electricity
? If something major breaks like the generator used for 24 hour electricity then you along with the others have to put money in to by a new one
? Some associations will prefer to hire and then pay a management agency to manage the estate maintenance rather than the home owner/s managing the estate. They indirectly get access to the monthly fees contributed by the home owners
o Be careful as these individuals can play with the figures and pocket your money.
 E.g. They do this by claiming they need money for 4 laborers but hired only 3
 Or they take a cut from the service providers i.e service provided costs a $1000us and they give the management agency $150. I am not saying they all do this. I do know 1 or 2 operating in this manner
 I know of one situation where the manager allowed non estate home owners to illegally connect to the 24 hour power grid and they paid him directly into his pocket for the electricity.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Why would you want to buy a house here if you don't intend to live in it ?? IMO it's a big waste of money and a lot of troubles for nothing...

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
I'll add two to this list..

• Build a 8 foot fence
• Bars on your window
• Dogs
• Security lighting
• broken glass on top of 8 foot fence

add to that never having anything on your person that is visible and of significant value.

There is a lot to be said of being a big fish in a little pond, but that feeling eventually wears off.

and then the ephiphany of what the list sounds like hits you.

We have buildings like that in the US, we don't usually call them vacation resorts, and in the best of interpretations, they can be found in the worst part of the worst town.

Yes, it is a beautiful country, but the hall of records can't even maintain a copy of your deed.

Last edited:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Why would you want to buy a house here if you don't intend to live in it ?? IMO it's a big waste of money and a lot of troubles for nothing...

Many people bought into the dream of having the place rented out to cover their expenses, and essentially live in it for free when they wanted. Most are either accepting that isn't the fact, and trying to sell below what they paid for it.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Lovemedo , Cpt-Gringo,
You seem to have had these problems so how good is your advice? i am sure you researched it on DR1 but obviously it didn't stick. We find many people bring expectations that it will "BE LIKE HOME" only to find it is the Dominican Republic !

Olly and the Team

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
" We find many people bring expectations that it will "BE LIKE HOME" only to find it is the Dominican Republic !"

And thankfully so!

Bob K

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Lovemedo , Cpt-Gringo,
You seem to have had these problems so how good is your advice? i am sure you researched it on DR1 but obviously it didn't stick. We find many people bring expectations that it will "BE LIKE HOME" only to find it is the Dominican Republic !

it must have shocked poor OP to no end. who would have thought???!!! :devious:

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Actually, the best advice I ever received was "RENT"

That's my philosophy. Way too many vacant properties and newly built to consider buying now. The one I'm in now has been for sale for 3 years, as has the unit 5 doors from mine and the next unit down from that has been on the market 6 months.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I almost picked up a unit in Las Canas (thinking that there might be some teachers from the International School willing to rent when I was in the states) and was going to put down a deposit the next day but I just couldn't wrap my head around the $200 month maintenance fee.

My inner El Cheapo won out and I still just rent when I'm here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
? Build a 8 foot fence
? Bars on your window
? Dogs
? Security lighting
? broken glass on top of 8 foot fence

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Be afraid, be very afraid! It is so scary here who can take it, maybe run back to Chicago or DC where there are dead bodies in the streets?

i am in favour of most of those security measures apart from the glass thingy. i have cats. but high wall and solid gate are a must. i need some privacy.

May 29, 2006
The maintenance fees are critical for any condo situation. Very easy for the money to fall through the cracks and then when a planta goes, there's no money to repair it or replace it.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
i am in favour of most of those security measures apart from the glass thingy. i have cats. but high wall and solid gate are a must. i need some privacy.

Cats? Their sole purpose in life is to dangle from the end of a 7/0 hook.

May 29, 2006
How do you make a cat sound like a dog?
~ Douse it with some gas and take a match... WOOF!

How do you make a dog sound like a cat?
~Stick it in a freezer overnight, then take a table saw.. MEEEOW!

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
people come and go from here, 6 monthly, 3 monthly for numerous reasons. Therefore the the house wouldnotbe lived in at the time they are away

lovemedo

Nov 3, 2013
Many people bought into the dream of having the place rented out to cover their expenses, and essentially live in it for free when they wanted. Most are either accepting that isn't the fact, and trying to sell below what they paid for it.

people that bought into this BS are fools, who listen to fast talking real estate bozo's. If i buy a $400000.00 apartment on the beach i would need to obtain a 5-6% rent return. That is $20-24000.00 a year ( or $4-550 every week minus your maintenance costs etc) .... yeah right, thats impossible !!! The key to making money here is buy/build a relatively cheaper home, within an estate that has reasonable monthly fees, and in a desirable location. I built 3 homes here years ago and they are all rented ..... mainly because my rents are not exorbitant, i'm not greedy. They didnt need to be exhorbitant because my places didn't cost $400k each. In today's world few people can pay huge rents, most people can pay less rent .... its a business model in real estate i have adhered to for over 25 years. If you intend to derive income from your property don't limit your market by pricing out most of society, it doesnt make business sense