Wells Fargo Users

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Just got an email purportedly from Wells Fargo saying:

We recently determined that different computers have tried to log on to your Wells Fargo account. Multiple password failures automatically places your account on hold. We now need more information to help us provide you with our secure service.

If this is not completed by January 31 2015 we may be forced to suspend your account indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes.

If this happens to you, do the following: (Maybe you already know this, but for the person or persons who don't...

1)Hover over return address - probably not WF
2) Do NOT click on the link.
3) Go directly to WF's URL and make sure all is OK
4) If you like, you can report it to WF and they'll have you send the email to their phishing dept (reportphish@wellsfargo.com)
5) Delete the email

I have gotten these from my bank, from PayPal, and from banks I don't even have accounts with!

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Ro

Jan 9, 2004

We recently determined that different computers have tried to log on to your Wells Fargo account. Multiple password failures automatically places your account on hold. We now need more information to help us provide you with our secure service.

If this is not completed by January 31 2015 we may be forced to suspend your account indefinitely, as it may have been used for fraudulent purposes.

If this happens to you, do the following: (Maybe you already know this, but for the person or persons who don't...

4) If you like, you can report it to WF and they'll have you send the email to their phishing dept (reportphish@wellsfargo.com)
5) Delete the email

I have gotten these from my bank, from PayPal, and from banks I don't even have accounts with!

Hope this helps someone.

Regards

Ro

Good Advice....that is always worth repeating....as the scams evolve.

Also, NO US financial institution will EVER send an unsolicited e-mail requesting ANY personal information....period.

If you believe they have done so by mistake, call the number(s) on your banking statements.....not the number listed in the e-mail.

As a Director of a financial institution, I cannot tell you how many times we have had suspect transfer/wire requests.....and when prior to transfer, an alert Customer Service Rep called the account holder....they all indicated they were responding to "our" e-mail.

Also, if you have a large account balance in one account AND need to transfer funds electronically as many here are likely to do, do not connect that account to electronic/mobile banking. Electronic hack attacks on accounts are daily and ongoing, those on mobile/internet platforms are far more vulnerable.

Set up a separate account for that purpose.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't use WF but I know a few people who, thanks for the heads up. I had my identity stolen while living in Cambodia. It was very difficult and time consuming to sort out without physically being in the USA. I HATE HACKERS, THIEVES AND SCAM ARTIST!

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

5) Delete the email

I wish every bank would inform their clients like this, unfortunately this is not the case always.

I was opening an account in one European bank about two years ago, and got a piece of advice, that I hadn?t heard before, but was one of the best advice I had heard (I just read again and seems to be the point nro 3...): When you need to access the online banking site, never ever Google your banks name and go by that (at least not without verifying everything). Only access the site by entering the exact URL yourself. This reduces the risk of you entering a site that is not on the bank?s server.

If anything is badly spelled, red flag. It?s not very likely that a financial institution would write carelessly in their mother tongue to its clients.

At least with my bank, there is no communication outside the online banking, so any emails are red flag, obviously. When I receive a message to the online bank, I only get a notice to my email, but no the content, not even the headline.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
YEP, its spam. If this is true you will see it when you attempt to login to your account. If you can not login then call the 1-800 number. I've had my account locked but never received an email.