Canadian wife/ Dominican husband looking for friends in the GTA/Mississuaga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maria2015

Jan 30, 2015
Hi, My husband recently moved here from the DR and so far things are going well with some hurdles from culture shock etc. He is very social usually and I am more of a homebody. We also have a young child so it is making things tricky for finding new "couple" friends. We would love to meet some people going through the same experiences. Nothing makes him light up more than commiserating with another Dominican living in Canada. I wouldn't mind chatting with a Canadian wife making the adjustment as well with a husband that doesn't know all the usual Canadian "rules" lol.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
He may find a Dominican woman to be sympathetic to.... :bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

donP

my buddy now lives in POP, but still maintains a condo in Mississauga. i can ask him where he used to go to "commiserate" when he lived there. hubby might not find any men with whom to discuss how to replace the blade on the John Deere, but he will find quite a few chicas from whom to solicit other types of information.

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
I sense a book and movie deal.

These fish out of water stories are all the rage with Hollywood social engineering types.

Get some hand held camera shots of him interacting with locals, set up a Youtube channel and Facebook. If he saves some local from drowning while ice-fishing we could go Discovery Channel on this but no promises.

Is he the kid's dad, if so this is solid gold. If not, we have a sex tourist mom with sankey in the snow story -- can't sell it.

It's a niche market, buena suerte my Fren.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Maria do yourself the favor and go to the facebook spouses group..there are a lot of american and canadian women married to dominican men..I can assure you that you will be treated a lot more respectfull then here..But still I think its a bit sad that someone NEEDS to find people of his own country instead of improving the local language and trying to find local friends

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Maria do yourself the favor and go to the facebook spouses group..there are a lot of american and canadian women married to dominican men..I can assure you that you will be treated a lot more respectfull then here..But still I think its a bit sad that someone NEEDS to find people of his own country instead of improving the local language and trying to find local friends

Don't you see that she doesn't have much self-respect because she married a dominicano AND brought him back to Canada... BIG MISTAKE !!! BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE !!! These women don't get it... God help them please...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
.But still I think its a bit sad that someone NEEDS to find people of his own country instead of improving the local language and trying to find local friends

I could be totally wrong here, but I disagree. If you move to a place different to what you are used to, and cut all the cultural ties immediately, that might cause more damage than if you do it a bit by bit. Only on this forum we can see expats in DR doing the exactly same thing, looking for people+things from their respective countries, because they miss things from there. I find this something normal, but also think that one should do both, engage locally and not forget their origin.

Ya i thought it was sad till I moved here, no way could I live in the DR without a few Gringos around!!
Moving from the DR to Canada is a HUGE change!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Don't you see that she doesn't have much self-respect because she married a dominicano AND brought him back to Canada... BIG MISTAKE !!! BIG BIG BIG MISTAKE !!! These women don't get it... God help them please...

There is another poster from Canada (Shiraz) here who did just that a couple of years ago and they have been happily married ever since.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Dominicans are the least successful Latino group in the United States because of this attitude. They fail to integrate themselves into the greater Anglo-Saxon culture and move forward with limited scope, planning and the close mindedness of your typical Dominican. It is far better to introduce your husband to Canadians who can teach him culture, respect and proper manners

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans are the least successful Latino group in the United States because of this attitude. They fail to integrate themselves into the greater Anglo-Saxon culture and move forward with limited scope, planning and the close mindedness of your typical Dominican. It is far better to introduce your husband to Canadians who can teach him culture, respect and proper manners

i have no idea which town the OP hails from, but if it is Toronto, there is a fair sized group of Dominicans there. the minute he locates them, there are going to be problems at home.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005

only true for recent dominican immigrants. recent dominican immigrants have lower income and education than
the comparable south american group. The second generation have assimilated about the same or better than the average
Hispanics.

Immigration Study: 'Second Generation' Has Edge : NPR

"Waters says researchers also met Dominican kids who had gotten into Stuyvesant, but whose parents didn't let them go to the school because they would have to take a subway and go across bad neighborhoods to get there
"

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Unlike the United States which considers itself a "melting pot" when it comes to immigrants, Canada has pursued an "multicultural" approach. Sure many claim to accept and adopt the culture of their new home but in a lot of instances this is lip service only. Where a Chinatown can be found in most major US cities, in Canada, we have a China town, Little Italy, Muslim, Somali, Vietnamese, Irish, Greek, Sikh etc. enclaves. I personally know some European immigrants who arrived 40+ years ago and still cannot speak more than a few words of English - they just don't have to learn if they stay within their neighborhoods. This is an exception to the norm of course, but by not being forced to "assimilate" completely, we make it easy to import the problems that people claim to be fleeing in their home countries right into the very heart of our cities and towns.

Once here in significant numbers, it's not all that difficult to organize politically and begin the legal process of promoting their own cultural realities by getting elected to school boards, city councils, then provincial ridings and eventually federal ridings. The Sikhs and the Muslims have this process down to a science as a new mosque or temple always springs up after and election, promoting even more immigrants to arrive and the process repeats.

I assume Dominican immigrants behave no differently. I haven't driven through "Little Santo Domingo" in Toronto but that doesn't necessarily mean it cannot be found if one looks hard enough.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
OP was a one hit wonder six weeks ago, hopefully she found Plato's Retreat North, it is cold out.
Cdn can get you directions to Little Lebanon if you work up an appetite after your meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.