Any idea where I can get pizza dough?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Not trying to be an asss whole at all, but it is a preaty easy make at home thing and can be frozen.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dough in what form? ready to made powder mix? la sirena, healthy food section. frozen? jose luis and la sirena, freezers.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Wife had a pizza cart and bought her dough in packs of 10 ready to go. They were paper thin and I don't know if that's all they had...In Santiago

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Chef, you are not an ass. It is easy but.... The damn flour is the challenge. Domestic sucks but imported (US) is available at la sirena. As is good levadora. I offer this based upon my experience in making bread in STI.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Chef, you are not an ass. It is easy but.... The damn flour is the challenge. Domestic sucks but imported (US) is available at la sirena. As is good levadora. I offer this based upon my experience in making bread in STI.

it makes absolutely no sense trying to use local flour to make pizza dough. i am still trying to figure out what you can make with it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i make my own pizza dough.super simple, just 6 ingredients:
1 and 1/3 cup of room temperature beer
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 and 1/2 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons of dry yeast

i use breadmaker to make dough but you can dump all the ingredients into standing mixer or mix by hand. make dough,cover for 1 hour to grow, roll flat into pizza. makes 2 thin crust or 1 thick crust.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i make my own pizza dough.super simple, just 6 ingredients:
1 and 1/3 cup of room temperature beer
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 tablespoons of sugar
1 and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
3 and 1/2 cup bread flour
2 teaspoons of dry yeast

i use breadmaker to make dough but you can dump all the ingredients into standing mixer or mix by hand. make dough,cover for 1 hour to grow, roll flat into pizza. makes 2 thin crust or 1 thick crust.

That will work just fine. Almost exactly as I do it.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
seems like a good investment opportunity for an enterprising self rising person....tax free....import made in the usa pizza dough....you aint going make a fortune but you will have bu
sness...
and what is the difference between flours?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
pizza is the most/biggest selling food in de world man....i want 3% agreed?

May 29, 2006
I've made pizza dough professionally using 50 pounds of flour at a time(~65 dough balls per batch) and it's relatively skilled work to make a NY style dough. At home, I make a focaccia dough instead, bake it, then cut it into two shells that I top and rebake. It's almost a batter. I have a 16" round deep dish pan for it. Here is the techinique:

[video=youtube;hGB3V5cvJYE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGB3V5cvJYE[/video]

Because the dough is very wet, it's much easier to mix. My technique is to use a handmixer with half of the flour for four or five minutes and then to fold in the rest. You can let it sit overnight in the fridge right in the pan you bake it in. Poking the dough right before baking is important. I also make this ahead of time, freeze the bread and then have a ready to bake crust.

Here is my recipe adapted from his book~1/10th recipe should be good for at home:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gocFbK9AvBgQjqQl1kAeQMq72glPolmsZtheWYI5bIU/edit#gid=0

May 29, 2006
seems like a good investment opportunity for an enterprising self rising person....tax free....import made in the usa pizza dough....you aint going make a fortune but you will have bu
sness...
and what is the difference between flours?

Protein is the main factor. At least half of the pizza shops in NYC use the same brand, General Mills ALL TRUMPS. I've never seen a shop use anything else. I believe ALL TRUMPS has malted barley flour in it as well which would add flavor and help the fermentation.

No way you could make a profit importing it. It would have to be in frozen dough balls. Bad pizza shops in the US use frozen dough balls and the crust has a sour taste to it. In the US, they sell for about a dollar per dough ball compared to about fifty cents each when made by hand. It ends up costing less to use the frozen dough balls because of labor and equipment costs. A 60qt mixer is at least $5000 and you still need a fridge, prep space and other equipment.