Las Terrenas questions

DiscoStew

Feb 2, 2015
Howdy Folks :)

We are looking to get into the DR real estate market. Our son bought a condo in Cabarete 6 months ago and it stoked our interest in a Caribbean property.

After doing some research, we are leaning towards getting a property in Las Terrenas (Cabarete and Sosua seem like they appeal to a younger crowd). We are heading to DR in April to get an idea of the market and to get a "hands-on" feel for the housing and property.

Here are my questions:
1) Is it true hurricanes have a minimal impact along that part of the coast?
2) Any recommendation for contractors for construction?
3) And the big question....How "safe" is it there? (I know that crime can be an issue anywhere, but is this area a "lower" risk? )
4) Reputable RE agent in the area?

Cheers,
Stew

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
#4 you need a buyers rep. not a r.e. they work for the seller...
#2 contractors? always look at their work...or finished projects...or have someone watch the money...

DiscoStew

Feb 2, 2015
#4 you need a buyers rep. not a r.e. they work for the seller...
#2 contractors? always look at their work...or finished projects...or have someone watch the money...

Thanks chic :)
What is a "buyers rep"? Sorry, but i'm not too familiar with that term.

Cheers
Stew

donP

Dec 14, 2008
4 Q's

3) And the big question....How "safe" is it there? (I know that crime can be an issue anywhere, but is this area a "lower" risk? )

1) Hurricane History - Dominican Republic Live ! - The Hurricane History in Dominican Republic.
We have hurricane panels, just in case we need them, so never had any damage to the house.
2) A good architect would know good 'maestros de construci?n' and good (often European) workers, too.
We used a Swiss archtitect and I also know a German archtitect in the area.
3) Crime happens everywhere (= DR1 saying). Experience shows that there is less crime in the campo than in or near cities and 'gringo towns'.
4) Very few. Everybody wants your best...

donP

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
In another thread you mention you are in your early 40's and here you mention your son bought a condo. If I this is accurate, why not connect with the realtor from your son's transaction to find the answers to some of your questions.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

We are looking to get into the DR real estate market. Our son bought a condo in Cabarete 6 months ago and it stoked our interest in a Caribbean property.

After doing some research, we are leaning towards getting a property in Las Terrenas (Cabarete and Sosua seem like they appeal to a younger crowd). We are heading to DR in April to get an idea of the market and to get a "hands-on" feel for the housing and property.

Here are my questions:

Cheers,
Stew

Stew:

I can't stress this enough. DO NOT buy a lot out in the country and build a house. You are opening up a can of worms that will bring you all kinds of headaches. If you are not in the DR FULL TIME to supervise construction you will have no idea what is being done. Crime is a big factor throughout the DR and especially in "tourist/gringo" areas. If you build a house out in the country you might as well put up a sign saying I have money, TVs and electronics come and rip me off. It is sad to say this but that is the truth. You are making yourself a target. Stick to gated communities where there are people and activity and a dedicated security force. This is a less likely target for theives. When you leave you can simply lock the door and walk away. Owning a home means continuous maintenance in the DR. I don't know what your budget is but you might want to check out condos at a place like Balcones del Atlantico. These are upscale with plenty of amenities and security. Good luck. I would talk to Doug and Helen (British) at Beachtown Property. They can give you some honest info. Google them for contact info.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Country Homes

DO NOT buy a lot out in the country and build a house. You are opening up a can of worms that will bring you all kinds of headaches. If you are not in the DR FULL TIME to supervise construction you will have no idea what is being done. Crime is a big factor throughout the DR and especially in "tourist/gringo" areas.

I do not know whether where we live is 'campo' for you.
I can only say I'd rather look down to Las Terrenas than live there. ;)

If you build a house out in the country you might as well put up a sign saying I have money, TVs and electronics come and rip me off. It is sad to say this but that is the truth. You are making yourself a target.
Every 'gringo' is considered wealthy.
There are a lot of other reasons why you would get robbed or not.
A house in the country (definition?) is not necessarily one of them.

Stick to gated communities where there are (...) dedicated security force .
Yeah.....

check out condos at a place like Balcones del Atlantico. These are upscale with plenty of amenities and security.
Yes, they have good security.
It comes at a price.

donP

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Here are my questions:

Cheers,
Stew

Stew:

I was trying to send you a Private Message but you are not set up to receive or have not posted enough to qualify. Just wanted to give you a heads up.

DiscoStew

Feb 2, 2015
@ LTSteve...How many posts does a guy need to get the PM feature activated?! LOL
@Criss.....your "C" key keeps sticking on your keyboard ;)
@Zoom.... since its my only language, what choice would I have

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
@ LTSteve...How many posts does a guy need to get the PM feature activated?! LOL
@Criss.....your "C" key keeps sticking on your keyboard ;)
@Zoom.... since its my only language, what choice would I have

I believe you need minimum of 10 posts to receive a PM.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If you decide to build property here you need to have your building designed with hurricanes in mind (Miami/Dade code) and more importantly in the Samana province designed for major earthquakes. As far as the latter is concerned the local legal building code changed at the end of 2012.

There are some very good local architects and especially engineers who you could employ but most gringos gravitate to expatriate companies to design and then build their properties. And you will therefore likely pay a premium.

Build costs here are very low in reality if you have the time to investigate and commit to managing your project.

Contractors can deliver decent masonry work and finishes using local materials....but if the Architect does not detail well expect quality issues. I've seen some terrible concrete construction....concrete batched at a concrete plant perhaps is of the required quality but when placed and not compacted it will be useless in an earthquake (look what happened in Haiti).............employ a local engineer to monitor concrete construction and test the concrete. Carpentry or rather joinery is a skill weakness in the country so be aware. Be very careful who you choose to install electrical systems and insist on imported plumbing materials.

As for crime.........my opinion is that Samana is a better choice than say North or East Coast........probably because it is less populated and further away from the big cities and crime centres such as the capital, Santiago, Higuey and PoP. Rule is to get your home designed with security in mind.

IMO land prices are very inflated in Las Terrenas (and indeed many parts of the North Coast) from what they should be based upon land prices throughout the country. Locals have shifted prices upwards to benefit from the gringos and added to that often in LT you are buying prime land from expats who bought cheap land many years ago. Bottom line be cautious and investigate the market well and don't make rash decisions. You will read often on this forum of people who bought in at a premium and the value of their asset is not what they thought and it is not easy to get out unscathed.

Good luck

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Stew.. I agree with LT Steve on not building a house from scratch.. The issue in LT is really poroperty theft for when you are not there. If you are not in a condo or gated community, you will have to pay someone to stay in the place and watch it for you. If you are just thinking of "getting into the market" then there are some good condo projects in LT which have good management,, and can even rent them out for you if you want.

If you have not lived here, it is difficult to imagine "crime" as some of us have seen it here. ... lawyers, for instance, who will help you draw up the papers for your car, since you do not speak Spanish, and very carefully turn the title over to themselves,, laptops which disappear after a dinnerparty... stuff that you simply cannot imagine..

it ain't kansas..

so do not think that "getting into the market" here is as easy as buying a condo in Miami. It is more like staking a claim in a gold rush,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lots and lots of folks just do not make it. Sure, easy to look at the ones who made it and think that it is easy to do but no, not so easy,