Railroad systems in the DR

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Maybe it's a dumb question but how come there is no railroad systems in the D.R. ???

How were they shipping the goods around the country in the early 1900's ?? Or before that ?

Would that have helped the growth of the country with railroads crisscrossing the island ? If I remember my history right, that's the way Canada and the US got their big boom in opening the West...

Would that help also with travels from one point of the island to the other ??

Just asking because I'm curious and would like to know.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
There were some trains used for transporting sugar cane. I hope someone else will fill in more info.

The biggest changes came in the US in the 50s forward in the nastionasl highway systems which caused amount other things a reduction in the number of members in the distribution channel.

The railroad system in the US significantly changed the locations of the iron/steel industry from Baltimore to pgh and other Ohio river locations. It followed antient Indian trails and was itself followed by the National Highway/rt 40.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the tunnel in altamira? it was a railroad to deliver the roods from north to south. as it was said previously, trujillo took it apart. i was never too sure what was the reason behind it as he generally had very forward ideas regarding infrastructure in DR. just look at main streets in SD, when they were build it was practically a campo. but so it happens that trujillo owned a cement company that built roads so...

there are still some trains down south for delivering sugar cane.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Maybe it's a dumb question but how come there is no railroad systems in the D.R. ???

How were they shipping the goods around the country in the early 1900's ?? Or before that ?

Would that have helped the growth of the country with railroads crisscrossing the island ? If I remember my history right, that's the way Canada and the US got their big boom in opening the West...

Would that help also with travels from one point of the island to the other ??

Just asking because I'm curious and would like to know.

There were some! My grandma got to tell me a couple of stories about what trips she took. I understand there are still places where you can see remains of railroad tracks.

There are cities that exhibit whatever wagon they have left. I remember seeing one at one of the entrances of the city of La Vega.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What rail systems did and now exist with the exception of the light rail Metro were commercial for cane and some mining. In the Los Haitises national park there are the decaying remains of a narrow guage rr that brought ore of some type to Samana bay.

A light rail system from Santiago to Santo Domingo would be a boon. Yet, the public transport sindicates would throw salt into that type of venture.

Regards,

PJT

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
fbi6pd.jpg

2hzmsf4.jpg

2igd56f.jpg

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
there is still short line in Barahona. used for transport sugar canes these days mostly

and as to ask your question why there is not: is not profitable for such small country and there is no way somebody will build it. road transport rules in such small countries

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They will be building a bullet train from Santiago to Santo Domingo. Just ask PICHARDO about it.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Thank you all for your answers. Very interesting subject. I will research more on it.

From all I read, I can say that Trujillo was really an assh*l*... What was his problem ???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what was his problem? boy oh boy... i recon it was soft dick, syphilis and height of a sitting poodle. and absolute power.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The S?nchez Railway Station

There was a railroad line from La Vega to S?nchez (Saman? Bay) to transport Cibao goods to a sea port.
I read that the line existed until 1966.
A few years ago they tore down the wooden station in S?nchez; it is a shame, it should have been preserved as a heritage place.

donP

May 29, 2006
Yes there were/are trains for the sugar industry. My dad hitched a ride on one something like 40 years ago open air, but I don't know where it ran. I think trucks are cheaper to maintain and the roads can handle the loads now.

As for subway type trains, the DR should save laying a whole bunch of track and follow the example of Curitiba in Brazil. One of the best bus systems in the world because ppl enter and exit the buses on raised platforms. The buses have their own lanes in most of the city.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
The train in La Romana is still rolling, I occasionally have to stop going in to the city centre coming in from the San Pedro side. Trujillo.. watch the documentaries by Rene Fortunato, El Poder Del Jefe I, II, III and IV.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Trujillo destroyed the few passenger lines that connected several Cibao towns. All the towns that had a railroad station now have monuments of a locomotive as a remembrance. There's one in Moca and another in Puerto Plata if you are interested in seeing them.

Mule caravans. They used to take a couple of days to go from Santiago to Puerto Plata carrying tobacco for the most part. If you want to know how the DR was line in 1870's, I recommend "Santo Domingo Past and Present with a Glance at Haiti" by Samuel Hazard, originally published in 1871 after an extensive visit he did to both countries.

Probably, in fact there is a plan to develop a passenger and cargo line that will connect SD with Santiago.

Siberian Bear

Jul 4, 2014
Freight - a very profitable business
their owners not very profitable construction of railways

sorry for my english - this is my second language ...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
They will be building a bullet train from Santiago to Santo Domingo. Just ask PICHARDO about it.

george jetson is the archit.?or designer? wife jane got any part? im sure elroy will be the conductor....they should've put in the basis of that line years ago...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
george jetson is the archit.?or designer? wife jane got any part? im sure elroy will be the conductor....they should've put in the basis of that line years ago...

Got stalled due to changes on how the DR's budget was going to be spent by the new administration.

Just like the SD Metro, it will be done in due time.

It's both, commercial cargo and passenger travel, economically feasible and sound when dealing with long term revenue to keep it going. The problem it faces today is based more on politics and campaign promises of the present administration to the people that voted them into power.

It will NOT be started under the present administration. Period!