Young American/colombian wants to move to DR to teach english.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I visited this week and fell in love with the vibe of the country even though I only saw Santo Domingo. I would like to move and either teach English or work in hospitality. I am a native English Speaker. I have a Bachelor's degree in Hotel Management and have worked in 5 star hotels in NYC, Miami & Boston. I have no children or commitments holding me back.

Can anyone offer me advice ?? I plan on going again in a month and wanted to perhaps seek employment in hotels or the like. What would be the best way to do this.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You worked in a 5 star in NY and Boston like the Ritz and you want to work in the hospitality industry here, and you report that you are single with no kids. Smart man. Live here and enjoy for awhile... and wear a condom.

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
most hotels here are foreign owned by international chains. i suggest you start your search with the owners, not local management.

normally i advise coming to the dr WITH money, not to MAKE money.

good luck!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I visited this week and fell in love with the vibe of the country even though I only saw Santo Domingo. I would like to move and either teach English or work in hospitality. I am a native English Speaker. I have a Bachelor's degree in Hotel Management and have worked in 5 star hotels in NYC, Miami & Boston. I have no children or commitments holding me back.

Can anyone offer me advice ?? I plan on going again in a month and wanted to perhaps seek employment in hotels or the like. What would be the best way to do this.

Visiting the DR and falling in love with the country is easy. Living and working in the DR is not. Unfortunately wages here are very low compared to what you are used to. Additionally you will need to apply for temporary residency before you can work in the DR. That process starts in your home country through the DR consulate. You need certain documents to be filed in the DR by an attorney as part of the process. You can call the nearest DR consulate ask the requirements. It is an expensive process and will cost you $1200 or more to complete temporary residency which could take 6-12 months. You would probably make a higher wage teaching in an international school in Santo Domingo, such as, Carol Morgan. Hopefully this move does not involve someone you met on a previous trip. If that is the case proceed slowly. Good luck.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never recommend that anyone come to this country if they need to work on a job they cannot do on line. The salaries in the service industry for you will be very, very low compared to where you are from.

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Why the DR? Why not Colombia?

bTW i am also very fluent in spanish

I dont know .. Im just following my heart. And yes , unfortunately it DOES involve someone I met on a trip. But we didnt even have sex just quality time. Not many peoplein my past have made me feel this way.

I understand that I will not make $27 US per hour as I do here with my union job. And i am ok with that as long as I can cover my basic expenses. I find that people seem happier and more jovial over there thankn cold NY.

I dont want to have a " what if " moment where i wonder what if i wouldve done it but didnt do it.

Love can make you crazy so im giving it time for my heart to simmer. I just want to plan ahead....

I also planon saving up before I go....

Would it be stupid for a person making 65K a year with benefits in NY to take this leap of faith ???

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
Unless you've got formal credentials or previous experience in teaching, you're not likely to find much in the way of English teaching opportunities in the DR and, unless you land a job at an elite private or international school, you're not going to make more than subsistence level wages, if that, maybe $500 per month at best. Your best bet would be to take a leave of absence from your job and sign on as a volunteer English teacher with a local NGO. You'd get some teaching experience, get a feel for what it's like living in the DR while not being a tourist, and have your day job to return to back home once it's over. And, if you end up deciding you want to stay for the long-haul, your volunteer gig will help you do the networking you'll need in order to make that happen and land an actual paying job somewhere down the line.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on how things turn out!

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Yess. I was speaking to a colleague abou this. Take a leave of absense... Rent a studio or something whic im no sure how it woud be ...and just spend a month there and see watsup... I have moved from state to state before and even THATS difficult in different ways.. I cant even imagine a foreign 3rd world country. As a tourist can I stay for how long ?? A month ???

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
And where can i read abou these volunteering teaching gigs ???

Btw this is a great resource for people like me ... Thanks to all you ! ����

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Hay man I understand, trust me I do. 65k and in a union is ok but NY is not cheep. I am look at $10 an hour in Florida no union. I think Derfish lives
In SD so $1000 ss check may not go as far $1000 in santiago would do me just fine. think about if you were in the usa trying to live in 1000 no way it is a better life over there. I feel that the RD is a place for old men with money. The loca people live a peraty good life even if thy are poor still
Happy can have a wife a kid and live with family. Can't get that in the usa. You felt what is like to be in the RD it feels batter and it is nice to have
Someone's hand to hold even if it is for money. As of late I think it is a curs to have found thr RD I wish I never found it.It just make me feel sad to
think of what I can not have.

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
Great advice fellas. Im seeing the fact that there is no making money in the DR, you gotta bring that with ya

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
This guy is making a huge mistake...
I know because i did the same EXACT thing!
Traved to the Philippines in 08 for a few weeks on business. Met a filipina my second day in the country...Went back to NY and learned how much of a pain in the butt it is to get her into America.
So this is where I got really smart lol... I sold off all my belongings and made the big jump, "following my heart".
Well I am still with the woman, but unfortunately I am still in the Philippines..
Spent basically all of my savings and worked teach arrogant Koreans English..
Bad bad bad idea and I pay for that everyday when I wake up to being in this sh1t hole!!
Dont do it man!!!!

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
I was offered an English teaching job at 9500 pesos a month, comes out to about $200 USD, but it was 15 miles away and half of that would have gone to to and from transport.
Der Fish

What year was that, Der Fish? I did a two year stint as a volunteer for an NGO in La Romana back in the mid-1990s and earned a $300/month stipend (back when the dollar was worth only 12.5 pesos), which covered my room and board with a Dominican family as well as all of my personal expenses. Of course, I'm no longer single and twenty-something and the cost of living has gone up astronomically, so that definitely wouldn't be able to live like that today.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Stay away from the RD! The more you go the more it will make you sad about something you can not have!
Finding this place is a curs...

esl_prof

Dec 6, 2013
And where can i read abou these volunteering teaching gigs ???

Btw this is a great resource for people like me ... Thanks to all you ! ����

Here's some links you can follow to explore the options. Please keep me posted if you end up pursuing any of these possibilities. I'm hoping, possibly, to semi-retire in the D.R. in the future and would be greatly interested in any up-to-date on-the-ground insights and observations you might have.

Inspire DR (both paid and volunteer opportunities)
Employment Opportunities & Volunteering | InspireDR

Cabarete Language Institute (advertising paid hourly work, but you might inquire about internships, which I know they do as well).
Employment Opportunities - Cabarete Language Institute

Dream Project (volunteer opportunities)
Summer School & Camp Volunteer Program | The DREAM Project

Best Non-Profits in the DR (a DR1 message board discussion on good volunteer opportunities)
http://dr1.com/forums/community-support/92389-best-non-profit-agency-working-dr.html

Island Life Backpackers Hostel (not English teaching, but free room and board in exchange for volunteer work--a good deal if you just want to hang out cheap in the tropics for a month or two, particularly given your experience in the hospitality industry.)
Volunteer With Us

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
Haha. I feel you. I feel so strongly about this person. My heart is broken to pieces right now because I cant see them. Dammit man.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the other possibility is to contact Marriot or Hilton who both have hotels here.. and apply. Marriott, in particular, is expanding, redoing their hotel Jaragua and opening up a new one at Blue Mall. Unfortunately, hotel staff here is very low on English skills so you might be able to actually pitch yourself as both a .. whatever it is you already for your 65k and an ESL teacher (getting an ESL certificate online is easy enough). I was offerred $12000 pesos a MONTH!!!. about $400 working 4 days a week at the AI .. complete with room and board .. but then I would have have to an apartment as well.

Your ONLY real shot at getting a decent wage is to get hired OVER THERE and come here as a "foreign expert" then they will pay you a decent wage, not the pittance that the locals are willing to work for.

Union jobs are few and far between these days.. would they really "hold' it for you while you went on a "walk about"?

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
You mean apply at a Marriott over there ??? Ive never applied at a job at a different country .

Yes. I was told its a once in a lifetime thing = leave of absense. You tell them you need time off and blah blah . Then agree on when you come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.