Bavaro Express to Autovia Samana - Caribe Tours to Samana Question

Aug 31, 2011
I will be in PC in March and travel to Samana to visit some old friends. Someone gave me directions to take Bavaro Express to Santo Domingo & then subway to Caribe tours station for trip to Samana. BUT, they gave me the option to stop at the Autovia Samana stop and wait for the Caribe Bus. Has anyone stopped to wait for Caribe tours there? I believe I have been at that stop before, but I never have taken Bavaro bus and I just don't remember the logistics. Don't want to miss a bus if it's too difficult.

We are leaving PC at 7:00 am and I hear that it takes 2.5 hours to get to that Autovia Samana stop. I'm thinking I might catch an earlier bus to get on my way to Samana. But not sure of how to read the schedules. ANY one done this before?

I'm posting the schedule links I was given.
Expreso B?varo - Autobuses entre Santo Domingo y B?varo Punta Cana
Horarios Desde Santo Domingo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
7am is the earliest Expreso B?varo departure from Punta Cana. Make sure the driver knows where to stop - the right turn towards the Saman? highway is right after the Las Am?ricas toll area.

Aug 31, 2011
chirimoya- thanks for the good info. Does the Bavaro bus usually stop there at this Autovia stop or do I tell him? Also does tge Caribe bus usually stop there to pick up passengers and would there be a possibility it is too full to accomodate three persons? am I gaining much time to wait there instead of traveling to Santo Domingo to catch the bus to Samana?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
No, it is not a normal stop for the B?varo bus. When you get on you will have to ask him specifically to stop there and remind him when the bus reaches the Boca Chica/airport area - note that the bus does not stop to pay any toll but will just drive through.
I don't know about the risk of there not being enough space on the Saman? bus, but there is a Caribe Tours bus stop (and possibly also a ticket sales point) at the crossing.
To be safe rather than sorry it might just be worth going all the way into Santo Domingo but then you'd have to take a taxi from Expreso B?varo (it stops at Parque Enriquillo first, and the final stop is at their office on Calle Sanchez Ramirez) to Caribe Tours.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
At the toll road entrance Caribe Tours has an office, an old bus shell, and will sell you the tickets there. The Caribe bus stops in Sanchez and then on to Samana.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Unless you are traveling on a holiday or long weekend peak travel date, chances are that you should find space on the Samana bus. There are many buses departing by the hour or so, so if you miss one you can catch the next.
To check for Dominican holidays, see Holidays 2015 - Dominican Republic

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Only 5 of the Samana buses use the toll road, the others go via San Fran.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............To be safe rather than sorry it might just be worth going all the way into Santo Domingo but then you'd have to take a taxi from Expreso B?varo (it stops at Parque Enriquillo first, and the final stop is at their office on Calle Sanchez Ramirez) to Caribe Tours.
I agree and I don't know if I agree. LOL, It's a tough call, all depending what time the Expreso Bavaro is arriving and for certain the driver will stop at the autovia samana stop. (Times are from leaving the main terminal in the city center)

2nlu82p.jpg

someone correct me if I am wrong.............. the times on the top are for the Caribe Tours bus that takes the new highway. Add 20-25 minutes and that will be the time the bus will arrive at the autovia samana stop.

the times on the bottom do not take the faster route using the new highway.

Either way if you just miss the bus there is a long wait for the next one. If I had to wait it out I would prefer to be at the main terminal in the city.

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks bigbird..So if I leave PC on the earliest Bavaro Bus at 7am... ride it all the way to Santo Domingo, find my way to the Caribe Tours bus station... will I make it there in time to catch the 10am bus or will it be a close call and I perhaps will be waiting for that 2:30pm bus?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks bigbird..So if I leave PC on the earliest Bavaro Bus at 7am... ride it all the way to Santo Domingo, find my way to the Caribe Tours bus station... will I make it there in time to catch the 10am bus or will it be a close call and I perhaps will be waiting for that 2:30pm bus?

This is where it gets tricky. If as you say the Bavaro bus is 2.5 hours to the autovia samana stop than you would be on time to catch the Caribe Tours bus leaving the city at 10AM. Once the bus leaves the city depot it is easily 20-30 minutes before it arrives at the autovia samana stop.

Picture this,,,,,,,,,,, if you stayed on the bus and came into the city you would be coming towards the city as the Caribe Tour bus is leaving the city coming towards you.

Let's say the Bavaro bus is running late and you don't get to the SDQ airport area until a little after 10. Now you are cutting it too close to catch the 10AM CT bus so you would be better off coming into the city and wait it out at the main terminal for the 2:30 bus.

I know, somewhat confusing.

OK, Bavaro bus approaches the SDQ airport by 10AM then plead to the driver to let you off at the autovia samana bus stop. I don't know if he will let you off on the main highway and you will have to climb over the barrier or if the driver will actually take the side road and drop you off right at the bus stop.