Medical insurance?

May 20, 2012
We are semi-retired and travel quite a bit, but are residents of the DR from the USA.

We have USA insurance that is extremely expensive and covers less and less! Plus the deductible is now US$10,000 EACH.

So I think we should have some sort of insurance here; if nothing else at least air ambulance to get back to USA in order to be able to use that insurance. We just experienced some Gringo pricing here, so maybe we should try to have some coverage too. The price of the premiums just has to make sense. The fact that we are in our 60's is a problem for getting the inexpensive local DR plans I think.

I'm looking for recommendations for what to buy and company from which to buy said insurance.

I have looked a bit online and there are many companies.....a bit confusing.

Any direction, experience, guidance would be appreciated! Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
How old are you?

ARS Humano and ARS Palic are both good from my personal experience. I have Humano at this time.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I got my medical insurance through a UK broker that covers me worldwide including North America to a very good level with 100pc payable and 100GBP excess and no medical examination to register. The Premiums are comparable with the ARS Humano top of the range policies.....but not the 80/20 split!!! The choice of hospitals and clinics in DR is good.

It's called an Expat Health Plan which I was introduced to through the UK online magazine called Expat Network for expats working overseas. I understand this is open to other nationalities.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have Humano and have a very responsible, reliable insurance agent in Puerto Plata. If you're interested, I'll find her card and send you her information. She was very thorough, gave me 4 levels of coverage and depending on individual needs advises which is best. She didn't try to sell me the most expensive. I was very impressed with her.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lord, I hate to say....

Married couple: 66 and 64. Good health (knock on wood)

I have heard some conflicting stories on this, but for the most part 65 is the cut off age to enroll in a Dominican policy. I recall some people saying that they got into a policy when they were older, but I am not familiar with such plans. The person 64 would have to take a physical to qualify.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there an age cut-off for getting in with Humano?

Yes, to my knowledge there is an age cut-off with all Dominican plans. Some have mentioned that they got in over the age of 65, but I don't recall into what plans and how.

May 20, 2012
Hey! Thanks for your offer. Yes, I would appreciate that. I think our ages might be an issue, but let's find out the actual facts.

Does she speak English at all?
I have Humano and have a very responsible, reliable insurance agent in Puerto Plata. If you're interested, I'll find her card and send you her information. She was very thorough, gave me 4 levels of coverage and depending on individual needs advises which is best. She didn't try to sell me the most expensive. I was very impressed with her.

May 20, 2012
So if one obtains this insurance BEFORE 65, is it renewed or dropped?

I have heard some conflicting stories on this, but for the most part 65 is the cut off age to enroll in a Dominican policy. I recall some people saying that they got into a policy when they were older, but I am not familiar with such plans. The person 64 would have to take a physical to qualify.

May 20, 2012
Thanks. I took a look and it's perhaps something we would consider. The premiums are pretty steep for persons of our age, but it is available to age 69 at least.

While we are in good health, it's not perfect health.....so there are no health questions or exclusions for pre-existing conditions??

I got my medical insurance through a UK broker that covers me worldwide including North America to a very good level with 100pc payable and 100GBP excess and no medical examination to register. The Premiums are comparable with the ARS Humano top of the range policies.....but not the 80/20 split!!! The choice of hospitals and clinics in DR is good.

It's called an Expat Health Plan which I was introduced to through the UK online magazine called Expat Network for expats working overseas. I understand this is open to other nationalities.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks. I took a look and it's perhaps something we would consider. The premiums are pretty steep for persons of our age, but it is available to age 69 at least.

While we are in good health, it's not perfect health.....so there are no health questions or exclusions for pre-existing conditions??

No medical and no health questions....pre existing conditions are always in the small print.

Premiums are the equivalent for the international policies you get here but there is no big excess.....c150US for every claim and 100% payable. The policy has been negotiated as a group policy and that is why there are only 3 options.

Remember 20% of a large claim is a large sum so at our age it is something to look at carefully.

Policy includes air evacuation for treatment if needed.

You actually pay to a medical insurance outlet in USA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
pre-existings are a pain.... ant dermatological issue nixes me.... from pre basal cell issues

I'll check it out

that IMGlobal is a LLoyd's/London situation... respectable

$8,000US / year --- 66 and 53 yrs old......$2500 deductible
big coverage

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Not true, people over 70 can now be insured without having had insurance before turning 70. I am living proof!