Bus route to Barahona?

bellakins

May 31, 2008
What is the best way to get to Barahona by bus?
Must we go all the way to SD and change buses there? OR
Can we go to Santiago and change there?

We are thinking of staying at Casa Bonita Eco-lodge...

If we do not have a car, will it be difficult to get around
the Barahona area?

bellakins

May 31, 2008
Oh, I forgot to mention that we will leave from Sosua.
So we will probably take the Caribe Tour bus.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
Oh, I forgot to mention that we will leave from Sosua.
So we will probably take the Caribe Tour bus.

My family makes the trip from Puerto Plata to Barahona and back a lot. The always travel from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo on one bus. Then change buses and travel from Santo Domingo to Barahona.

They take Caribe Tours. It takes around four hours from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo and 3 1/2 hours from Santo Domingo to Barahona.

Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo there are around 3 stops. They stop twice in Santiago (1st stop in santiago you eat) and once in La Vega (fast stop).

Santo Domingo to Barahona they stop once in Azua (one small store, short stop).

From Santo Domingo to Barahona they should have 7 days a week 600 am, 945 am, 145 pm, 545 pm.

They normal take the 800 am from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo and have plenty of time to catch the 145 pm Santo Domingo to Barahona. You could take the 900 am from Puerto Plata to Barahona but if the bus is late you could miss the 145 pm and have to wait for the 545 pm.

texan

Apr 1, 2014
We are thinking of staying at Casa Bonita Eco-lodge...

If we do not have a car, will it be difficult to get around
the Barahona area?

I think most people take the public bus. You should be able to take a taxi from the bus station in Barahona to your hotel. Once you are in your hotel I am not sure. You could try and get the phone numbers for some taxis at the bus station and or ask the hotel. But most the locals in the area take a public bus and not a taxi.

You can visit San Rafeal and Los Patos. If you wanted to make a longer side trip they say Bahia de las Aguila is nice but you have to get there by 4x4 or boat.

I have been to both San Rafeal and Lost Patos.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
There are taxis at the bus station in Barahona. You may be able to fix an hourly or daily rate with a driver. In Santo Domingo, for instance, a cab and driver costs $400 pesos an hour, so that will give you a starting point for bargining. I think that there are also car rentals available there. check out the SW thread.