Getting around DR faster

Ezouein

Feb 6, 2015
I am arriving in Santo Domingo International airport at 1:30 in the afternoon. I need to go to Enriquilo. What is the best way to get there. Should I hire a driver for the week or Rent-A-Car? Is there a boat taxi that can take me in the water to Enriquilo?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is around 4 hours to Barahona from Las Americas - a straight ish road once you get through Santo Domingo. There are also buses from Caribe Tour. As far as I know there are no car rental places in Barahona so if you want to rent a car you will need to do it at the airport.
You can go to Lake Enriquillo using Ecotourism Dominican Republic Excursions Barahona. If you want to tour Lake Enriquillo you can also go directly on a boat at the lake - but they are often not running at the moment as the level of the lake has risen. If you are also interested in lakes, dont miss out on Lake Oveido, again they have 3 hour boat tours for around RD$3,000 I think.

Matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Lake Enriquillo or the town of Enriquillo between Barahona and Pedernales?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
and there is no boat taxi to take you from the airport to Enriquillo Lake, lol.
in case you rent a car, usually you get best rates booking that online back home, make sure you get it with a real full coverage and a GPS WORKING and mounted. make also sure you have exact correct directions/address for the place where you go in/near/around Enriquillo/somewhere in Barahona. it is a wide area, not civilization's central, easy to get lost driving around clueless and waste hours on such, specially when crossing Santo Domingo on the way over there. your flight arrives 1:30PM, you will seat in your rental car by 3PM, a 4hrs straight drive ahead of you, it starts to get dark very quick at 6PM. in case you get lost on the way, after 6PM you will stay lost til after sunrise. without local knowledge even with a GPS it can be a nice adventure searching the right way from Dusk til Dawn.

welcome to DR1 and the nuthouse

Mike

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am arriving in Santo Domingo International airport at 1:30 in the afternoon. I need to go to Enriquilo. What is the best way to get there. Should I hire a driver for the week or Rent-A-Car? Is there a boat taxi that can take me in the water to Enriquilo?

It depends what your budget is? You could hire a car and driver but with the distance that you are going it will be very expensive. Your best bet is to rent a vehicle. Are you from the Dominican Republic? Have you looked at a map to see the distance that you will be driving? Have you ever driven in the DR? Sorry to say this but it sounds like you really have no idea. Some additional info might help in giving you some better advice. Good luck.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The fastest way to any part of the island is on the back of Frank12's bike....not for the faint of heart

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
hey, its a straight road. its not possible to get lost, lol. its only one road...Bani-Azua-Barahona. and from Barahona straight to Enriquillo.
bus/car/private taxi. bus - the cheapest one
anyway, if I would be you, i Iwould leave EARLY in the morning