blog by a peace corp volunteer

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Peace Corps Talk

good read, but not updated since written in september 2013.

I just hope, he stayed there. :bunny:

Which is not unlikely, when reading this:
"Another example is how people in America get all uptight over stupid **** that isn't important.
So the f*ck what if someone cut you off in traffic? So the f*ck what if you couldn't buy some stupid piece of sh*t that you don't really need? So the f*ck what if your favorite sports team lost? So the f*ck what if your favorite politician got made a fool of?
Does any of that really f*cking matter?
(...)I see more smiles here in my poor pueblo than The States.
People are nicer here than in The States.
People are more willing to share what little they have here than in The States.
The reason is because once you scrape away all the bullsh*t and get down to what really matters, you discover that stuff just gets in the way of happiness."

I met quite a number of peace corps guys in Kenya...not much sense talking to them. :tired:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Talking Sense Later

i met a number here in DR, some who stayed a very loooong time ago, each been a pleasure to meet and have a chat with.

I have no doubts about that.
After a decade or so most of them see reason... :rolleyes: ;)

donP

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Here it is:

Why Missionaries Can Never Go Home Again

"When at “home”, the missionary dreams about their host country.
When in their host country, the missionary dreams about their home country.

Missionaries are forever caught between two worlds. They can no longer completely identify with the people whom they left behind in the home country. But they can never truly identify with the people in their host country."

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Here it is:

Why Missionaries Can Never Go Home Again

"When at “home”, the missionary dreams about their host country.
When in their host country, the missionary dreams about their home country.

Missionaries are forever caught between two worlds. They can no longer completely identify with the people whom they left behind in the home country. But they can never truly identify with the people in their host country."

It s also the fate of expats.