Forgot the name - what mattress brand is the best?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Anybody can help out letting me know what DR brand is best and where to buy? Need to buy a good mattress. Thanks!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I got a firm foam mattress from Ikea and love it. Serta might be one of the names you were looking for...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The sealy mattresses are not from the US, they are made here.

I bought a Simmons (Home Gallery). At first I almost returned it for how hard it was, but now I couldnt be happier.

Unless you want to spend a LOT of money go for a good mattress to either Sealy sleepcenter or Simmons Sleepcenter.

Ikea mattresses are not only mediocre, they are expensive as well (the better ones), and the size is a little off. If your bed is not an ikea bed, you will have a lot of space left plus only the ikea bedding fits well.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I got a firm foam mattress from Ikea and love it. Serta might be one of the names you were looking for...

The foam mattress comes with one big problem: the climate. foam never got anywhere here, because they tend to be warm.

Serta is also a good mattress.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
................Ikea mattresses are not only mediocre, they are expensive as well (the better ones), and the size is a little off. If your bed is not an ikea bed, you will have a lot of space left plus only the ikea bedding fits well.

I find that to be not true. I have a mattress from IKEA and the bed from a different store. Mattress fits fine and the sheets I bought online and not from IKEA are a perfect fit. Mattress is extremely comfortable. The price? A little high, but everything in IKEA is priced high when you compare it to USA prices.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I find that to be not true. I have a mattress from IKEA and the bed from a different store. Mattress fits fine and the sheets I bought online and not from IKEA are a perfect fit. Mattress is extremely comfortable. The price? A little high, but everything in IKEA is priced high when you compare it to USA prices.
Maybe it depends on the size. I bought a king size bed in Ilumel and was checking the mattresses of ikea, and they were shorter than the American king size mattresses. The one I bought fits perfectly.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Maybe it depends on the size. I bought a king size bed in Ilumel and was checking the mattresses of ikea, and they were shorter than the American king size mattresses. The one I bought fits perfectly.
Maybe you were comparing an Eastern King to a California King?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I got confused with an IKEA bed and a local mattress too. Bed is longer than the mattress. :(

This time for another bed I want to buy somewhere else than IKEA... (and if possible in Higuey).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have simmons beautyrest. with memory foam top. bought in santiago. very comfy. it's worth to invest a little extra, providing that you can. after all you will use it every single day for years to come. splurge.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Plaza Lama is here in Higuey but only "Electro Lama".

In Bavaro is Plaza Lama, where I bought a fridge once. I don't recall if they have mattresses but I think not... :(

Gotta look at s'thing like "Ray Muebles" etc. so that is why I am tryung to find out what is the best (most available DR wide) local brand...

And to buy one via catalog from IKEA I don't want. We want to check it before buying...

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
When I was buying our bed I wanted to duplicate our king from the states and tracked down the Sealy Rep for the DR.

She told me:

The Sealy Mattress Center addresses in Santo Domingo are:

Plaza Las Americas
Winston Churchill, esquina Roberto Pastoriza

Bella Vista Mall
Av. Sarasota

The Sealy office number was Tel.: 809.748.2777 email CO.REX@CODETEL.NET.DO
They might have a distributer/store near you.
The rep gave me a name of a store in POP that%

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes I agree that the best selection is Plaza llama main store on 27 de febrero but there is also a good selection in their Ave Duarte store ..the store in la Romana has very few mattresses and very few beds .. Of course the base is important also and the ensembles can be found in Plaza LLama main store