Dominican Driver's License

I have a question about the Dominican driver license. I understand that the U.S. Consulate does not verify the validity of their citizen's licenses like other countries do.

Is there a way to get around this and get a full-fledged license right away, or do I have to start from scratch with a learner's permit and then take the road test for the full license after 45 days?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have a question about the Dominican driver license. I understand that the U.S. Consulate does not verify the validity of their citizen's licenses like other countries do.

Is there a way to get around this and get a full-fledged license right away, or do I have to start from scratch with a learner's permit and then take the road test for the full license after 45 days?

Don't waste time and money looking for another route because there isn't one despite what people will tell you.

If in SD head down to DGTT on Av Tradentes near Estadio Quisqueya and start the process which is straightforward......if your Spanish is good it will be easy. If not ask for help.

There are other threads on this subject....scroll down the threads and read up

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Don't waste time and money looking for another route because there isn't one despite what people will tell you.

If in SD head down to DGTT on Av Tradentes near Estadio Quisqueya and start the process which is straightforward......if your Spanish is good it will be easy. If not ask for help.

There are other threads on this subject....scroll down the threads and read up

If your Spanish is not good............... I read awhile back there are "Driving Schools" who basically walk you through the process. You have any info on cost for this service in SD.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If your Spanish is not good............... I read awhile back there are "Driving Schools" who basically walk you through the process. You have any info on cost for this service in SD.

Having just completed the process and my Spanish is reasonable.......I would advise that the theory test will be the only problem you could face simply because the test on computer screen is in Spanish and the format of the questions (which each follow a video clip) change....so you have to be alert and pick up the question quickly and relate to what you just saw. I made it known my Spanish was not perfect and they all were helpful during the theory test.

There are some guys offering training for the theory test outside the centre and you will no doubt be accosted by somebody promising the earth for an inflated fee for this service....it is worth something in that the guy stands in line for an hour at Banreserva to pay your fees and you get to understand the test format and the type of questions to be asked. But the questions change daily....I think.......... so what you see in the training does not apply in the test. You are allowed two wrong answers and if you fail can pay the re-sit fee at the bank and start again. Many of the locals fail first time.

By the way the blood work is to determine your blood group only

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Having just completed the process and my Spanish is reasonable.......I would advise that the theory test will be the only problem you could face simply because the test on computer screen is in Spanish and the format of the questions (which each follow a video clip) change....

By the way the blood work is to determine your blood group only

Thanks, great info. Any rough idea what the cost is?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Thanks, great info. Any rough idea what the cost is?

Official fees.........1st visit for learners license 1350rd......2nd visit short driving test 980rd

Training and promises.....they will ask an extranerjo for about 4k plus fees.....not worth all that so negotiate hard for a locals rate...............I am told they are paying between 200 to 500rd.....you are unlikely to get that but gives you an idea

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
............Training and promises.....they will ask an extranerjo for about 4k plus fees.....not worth all that so negotiate hard for a locals rate...............I am told they are paying between 200 to 500rd.....you are unlikely to get that but gives you an idea

Thanks again. Don't expect local rate but always good to have a ballpark figure of what something should cost.

I learned the no gracias and walk away game awhile back. Usually results in a decent "discounted" price.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
mediocre Spanish is good enough for the cartoon pix/theory test - honestly

show them your US licence.... might help and can't hurt..... might get you some respect
they already know you can drive....

like many things here - it just depends..... on the day, the person., wind direction and tempersture

I have a Master's degree in Spanish since 1989 and have worked as a translator, so language won't be a problem.
I have Dominican residency since January 2012 and am married to a Dominicana and I live in Santiago. I just put in a petition for DR citizenship this past week since I just passed the six months of being married, which is a requirement for getting naturalized.
Thank you all for this information, it helps me out a lot.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
FYI - I took the theory test and told the I lived on the North Coast and it was difficult to come back in 45 days, I asked if it could be done in the morning, they said no problem.. Went back in the morning, waited for the inspector to get his shoes polished and off we went, it's all really easy. In my opinion some of the nicest folks working in the Gov sector.

Renewals are even easier, one tip - pay your taxes/fees at any other branch than the one next to the office, there are always a gazillion people and it's not real efficient inside. Good luck !

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
FYI - I took the theory test and told the I lived on the North Coast and it was difficult to come back in 45 days, I asked if it could be done in the morning, they said no problem.. Went back in the morning, waited for the inspector to get his shoes polished and off we went, it's all really easy. In my opinion some of the nicest folks working in the Gov sector.

Renewals are even easier, one tip - pay your taxes/fees at any other branch than the one next to the office, there are always a gazillion people and it's not real efficient inside. Good luck !
To renew you don't have to go to the DGTTT.....there are a number of other places in the city....I renewed mine at the Multicentro (La Sirena) on Churchill on the second floor. Pay at the Ban Reservas upstairs, do the eye test, fingerprint and wait for the licence to be printed out - all done in 15 minutes. Unlimited parking there too.....

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Ha !... Ya learn something everyday, Life is great that way !... Thank you

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
To renew you don't have to go to the DGTTT.....there are a number of other places in the city....I renewed mine at the Multicentro (La Sirena) on Churchill on the second floor. Pay at the Ban Reservas upstairs, do the eye test, fingerprint and wait for the licence to be printed out - all done in 15 minutes. Unlimited parking there too.....

Has been moved to the top floor!! at La Sirena churchill