Tips for contacting Banco BHD Le?n

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm frustrated after nearly an hour of trying to get ahold of an English-speaking representative at Banco BHD Le?n. I had to call back about 4 times and just got transferred from one line to the next, and eventually disconnected. I haven't found any web presence of theirs in English or any hotlines featuring customer service in English. Any suggestions? Will I need to find a Spanish speaker to call on my behalf?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Probably but if you walk in to your branch you may get an English speaker. Here in Jarabacoa they have two employees that speak English well and others that speak a little. Of course I have rhe advantage of having a bilingual wife.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm not currently living in the DR, which has made things a bit more difficult. My branch is in Santo Domingo. I also tried calling the Banco Le?n number and it seems to have been disconnected.

Anyway I only had one question for them: Do I already automatically have a new account number with Banco BHD Le?n (which will be disclosed to me only upon visiting the bank), or will they create a new account for me from my old Banco Le?n account upon visiting the bank?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
in my 20 years only once did i get a german speaking manager at a bank here. it's really a mess.
so i saw only one solution, and it was the right one, as it works still:
I learned the language of the country where i opened all those bank accounts.

Mike

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
I'm not currently living in the DR, which has made things a bit more difficult. My branch is in Santo Domingo. I also tried calling the Banco Le?n number and it seems to have been disconnected.

Anyway I only had one question for them: Do I already automatically have a new account number with Banco BHD Le?n (which will be disclosed to me only upon visiting the bank), or will they create a new account for me from my old Banco Le?n account upon visiting the bank?

you have the same account number. Leon account users now have to use the bhdleon website to access internet banking. The Bank has issued a plastic, credit card size 'passport' which is just a card with about 30 or so different pin numbers. you need this before you can access you account online. you can either go in yourself, or arrange with the bank to give it to a previously agreed person.

good luck with the english speaking thing on the telephone, afaik they dont have dedicated english number for you to call, so I would suggest that you find someone who understands spanish to act as a gobetween on the phone.

hope this helps

dave

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Probably but if you walk in to your branch you may get an English speaker. Here in Jarabacoa they have two employees that speak English well and others that speak a little. Of course I have rhe advantage of having a bilingual wife.

That's interesting.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
you have the same account number. Leon account users now have to use the bhdleon website to access internet banking. The Bank has issued a plastic, credit card size 'passport' which is just a card with about 30 or so different pin numbers. you need this before you can access you account online. you can either go in yourself, or arrange with the bank to give it to a previously agreed person.

Thanks a lot for that information! It's certainly new to me, but you seem to know what you're talking about. A number of people on this forum have written that Banco Le?n accountholders would undergo a change to their account numbers and are required to visit their home branch in person to obtain a new Banco BHD Le?n account number.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... are required to visit their home branch in person ...

That may well be the case. You'll know as soon as you get in touch with someone at the bank you can understand who will tell you want you need to do to access your converted account. Internet banking will be all but impossible even with online account access without your new code card as any transfers, bill payments etc will need a security code before being processed.

good luck.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks. It's just a small account with about US$150.00 in it which I use when in Santo Domingo. I'd nevertheless like to be able to keep tabs on it and be sure I know the correct account number and that it hasn't been suspended or closed for some unknown reason. I'll have a Spanish-speaking co-worker of mine give them a ring.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as for BHD accounts, when you do not us/have activity on a account for 6 months in a row it get's on hold. to use it again you need to pass by the branch, the service counter fills in a paper and you do a deposit on it at the cashier, and it is open again with your prior money of course still there.
i do not know the actual limit, if i recall correctly it was (many many years ago when i opened it) for US Accounts $200.- or $300.- Dollars on the Dollar Savings Accounts. if your balance dropped below that limit they charged $10.- of a account managing fee every Month. again, that was many years ago that Banco BHD explained that to me, so it may havechanged. but if you have such low balance on the account you should contact BHD Bank also to ask about that Limit, otherwise after some months most of the $150.- Balance would be gone with the wind for nothing.

Mike

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Im user of Banco Leon now BHD, if he is lucky they can give the information about his account by phone, for access to the new website he need to have a codes card and re-sign a new contract for internet service and only him is the person authorized to sign, if he is not here they wont be able to give him access to Bancasa that is the new name for internet banking in BHD-Leon.

They also changed all the saving accounts number, checks accounts, etc.

Next time you come to Dominican have to go there to sign.