Unblock T-mobile no contract phones

Aug 31, 2011
I wonder if it is easier to pay someone in US to unblock/unlock or can I get my LG Optimus L90 unblocked in the D.R. so I can use it with any carrier? It is a T-mobile smartphone I bought for $49. I have not ever had a number or contract or prepay/postpay assigned to it. Any suggestions? I bought it cheap at Best Buy and have been using it for Wi-fi only. I would like to unblock it to use it with whatever carrier I want.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
If your phone is GSM check ebay for someone with an unlock code. Easy and cheap.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
All sorts of local cell phone repair shops in the RD will unblock the phone for half the price that a Claro or Orange shop would charge.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
On ebay you should choose the seller with the most positive feedback. Make sure you read the feedback pertaining to your purchase.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
online is $4-10 US

Claro is about $10-12 US

good thing about doing at Claro is you can fix it if it doesn't work/// insurance of sorts

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And once the phone is unlocked it is now a law that you can use the same number on another carrier if you want to switch to Orange or another company in the future.

smitty777

Jul 21, 2013
Starting yesterday the new law in the U.S. state that any fully paid off phones must be unlocked by the carrier if the customere request and its free. But whats $10? Just pay claro. If something goes wrong atleast you can go back to the store.

Aug 31, 2011
Well it worked! Checked eBay out and found a seller with 34,000+ positive responses and for $4.76 USD, my phone is unlocked. Thank you!!!! Now, I suppose I will just buy a card in D.R. Do they have MONTH plans or do you have to have resident status to do that?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
OP,

If you live here and use your phone a lot, then get a plan. If you are just a visitor, then just buy minutes and some data time. Plans for first time customers usually require some length of contract that may exceed your stay. Minutes can be purchased at a kiosk or an ATM type machine everywhere.

In some locations Claro has a better signal, Orange in others. Better to see which company can provide a consistent signal for where you spend most of your time before getting locked in with one or the other.

Don't plan on using your cellphone as your main internet access tool. My experience is that data service can be slow and inconsistent. A newer phone that supports 4G will help but like everything else here, what works well on Monday may or may not work as well on Tuesday.