American man drowns at Playa Mirador

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Playa Alecia can be dangerous, If I recall a dr1 member had her lip torn off in that surf a few years ago.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Playa Alecia can be dangerous, If I recall a dr1 member had her lip torn off in that surf a few years ago.

All of the beaches in the Sosua area have been very rough the past couple of weeks. Nice to watch....not safe to go in. See so many people in the water where it is obvious it is beyond their ability.

Is the beach named Alecia but the park above named Mirador? I usually call it Sin Salida. I do not like that beach.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It has always been Playa Alecia, "Mirador" started sticking as that is the park's name.

VERY dangerous surf, and often deserted, so you are @ your own risk.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013

from the water? ive seen surfers hurt by boards but i guess thrown to the bottom can do wonders...and bad things...ive been tossed around wiped out almost went down for the third time when i was a kid...

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
i was down there yesterday, wind was coming straight onto the beach from the sea.......i think someone drowned on alicia a couple of months ago also no? will have to check, but many people talk about the undercurrents there
very sad day.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
RIP.

When the waves are high....these beaches are dangerous. Really sad.

Muere ahogado visitante norteamericano en playa de Sos?a

American visitor drowned in Sosua beach

Sos?a.- When trying to save the life of his daughter who was swept by strong waves, a man of American origin drowned close to noon today at the beach of Mirador Park, located in the cul de sac in this tourist city.

The victim was identified as James Harvey Moore 60 years old, according to reports obtained by DETRAS DEL RUMOR :: Noticias con Profesionalidad y Criterio , the North American man had come to the country to visit his daughter who lives in the city of Santiago de los Caballeros and came to vacation in this city, while finding himself enjoying a swim at the beach Parque Mirador, his daughter was drowning and while attempting to save her, he drowned before he could be helped.

The body was already moved without vital signs to a private health center of this city, and subsequently sent to the National Institute of Forensic Sciences (INACIF), for the final places.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I guess we can assume the daughter made it out of the water... Too bad they both didn't.

I'm not really a beach person so I haven't yet been to any of the beaches here. I know there are no life guards but is there at least some life preservers available to use or do these get stolen as quickly as they are placed? I understand the desire to help someone in distress but successfully rescuing a drowning person is really difficult. Someone who is drowning is in full panic mode and will climb right up your neck and stand on your head if given the chance. Often one victim becomes two when the rescuer has no training, equipment and no previous life saving experience.

To be successful, one needs some sort of flotation device to offer while maintaining a safe distance or its often better the wait until the person is unconscious before making physical contact. You never see a lifeguard enter the water to render assistance empty handed - there is a reason for that.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
charlise,

It's a flaw with the way modern humans access risk. We have cushioned our daily lives with the trapping of modern society that generally make most of what we do everyday quite safe and consequence free. As a result, when we access the risk of any given particular activity we often incorrectly assume that nothing bad can or will happen. If it does go souith, then we unrealistically expect "someone" will come to our rescue.

Hikers in the back country make these false assumptions all the time, avalanches, getting lost, injured do happen, much to the surprise and dismay of those involved who are not prepared to deal with the possibility. Swimming in the ocean is no different. We do it all the time without so much as a second thought. Usually, everything is fine, until it's not.

Generally speaking, humans are no longer capable of making good, practical and honest decisions a lot of the time. In many cases we are making potentially life altering decisions without a foundation of underlying knowledge upon which to bases these decisions. It basically comes down to Darwin at work...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the waves have been extraordinarily high for the past few days (north coast).

there's a big storm just to the north sending them south.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video=youtube;sdsGB7Rp0SE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdsGB7Rp0SE[/video]
It has always been Playa Alecia, "Mirador" started sticking as that is the park's name.

VERY dangerous surf, and often deserted, so you are @ your own risk.

I thought it was Playa Alicia. What happened to the daughter he was trying to save?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a friend of mine who is a strong swimmer, master diver and a lifeguard advised me that if i ever felt tempted to save someone from drowning i should wait until they go down under and "drown a bit". according to him it takes strength and knowledge to save lives and for a layman, so to speak, it is safer to pull out someone unconscious, who will not desperately cling to you.

tragic story. RIP.