question on nationality and residence

ray718

May 28, 2010
Are children of haitian illegals given birth certificates when they are born? Are these children dominican nationals? Are haitians having to go through the same residency requirement as all other foriegners? If a forienger of a different nationality has a child in the dominican republic is that child considered a dominican national? I would like these questions answered as am not living in the dominican republic, but only visit and I am unaware of the situation or process.

ray718

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I can't speak to the Haitian situation as they are a "special" case based on their long history with the DR and living/working here. Much of that history being very controversial and subject to interpretation.

For other foreign nationals, however, the situation is much clearer. No, a child born to parents who are in the DR on vacation, is not automatically a Dominican citizen and by extension, the parents may not use the birth of a child here as a basis for applying for citizenship or residency.

This concept of citizenship by location of birth is not applicable here at this time.

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
Any child born to a non-resident woman, regardless of her nationality, shall not be considered a Dominican citizen under Dominican law and must be registered at the Consulate of the country of origin of the mother. However, if the child?s father is a Dominican citizen, the child will be considered as a Dominican citizen as well and thus be registered at the Dominican registry.

The child of a non-resident woman will be given a confirmation of birth from the hospital- not a birth certificate. The color of this document is different from those issued to Dominican children. Please note that these rules apply not only for "illegal foreigners" meaning foreigners who have overstayed their authorized permanency periods, but also for the children of women who are staying legally in the country under a non-resident status such as tourists, temporary workers and students.

Finally, all foreigners, regardless of their nationality, must complete the same process to obtain a Dominican residency permit.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Original questions:

Are children of haitian illegals given birth certificates when they are born?
No.

Are these children dominican nationals?
No.

Are haitians having to go through the same residency requirement as all other foriegners?
Yes.

If a forienger of a different nationality has a child in the dominican republic is that child considered a dominican national?
No

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
I would say yes...

Friends of ours both germans had their child born here and the daughter automatically received a dominican passport.

Original questions:

Are children of haitian illegals given birth certificates when they are born?
No.

Are these children dominican nationals?
No.

Are haitians having to go through the same residency requirement as all other foriegners?
Yes.

If a forienger of a different nationality has a child in the dominican republic is that child considered a dominican national?
No

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Friends of ours both germans had their child born here and the daughter automatically received a dominican passport.

That is because the Germans were legally in the DR. If they were not legally in the DR, then their child would not be an automatic Dominican citizen. The child was a citizen because of jus sanguinis and not jus soli (which the DR does not have like most countries) .

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I've been living,and working, here in the DR as an "illegal" for 20 years.
My wife is Dominican.
Our 3 children, all born here, are both Dominican, and USofA CITIZENS, and passports from both countries.
We registered their birth with the US embassy, and they were issued US passports, and US Social Security cards.
Because I receive US Social Security benefits, they do as well!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I've been living,and working, here in the DR as an "illegal" for 20 years.
My wife is Dominican.
Our 3 children, all born here, are both Dominican, and USofA CITIZENS, and passports from both countries.
We registered their birth with the US embassy, and they were issued US passports, and US Social Security cards.
Because I receive US Social Security benefits, they do as well!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):)
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

They got their Dominican citizenship just because their mother that is Dominican, the same way they got the USA citizenship just because of you that you are citizen of USA, Our constitution stated that you can have double nationatily since our first constitution.