Maid Salary in Santo Domingo???

GlobeTrot

Feb 15, 2015
I am new to the website, new to the country, and seeking some advice. I recently moved to Santo Domingo and am looking to hire a part time maid to do the household cleaning, occasionally cook dinner, and watch the kids for a few hours a day if my wife needs to leave the house without them. We live in an 3 bed 4 bath apartment that is just over 3,000 sq ft in Naco. Would 500 RD a day plus transportation cost be appropriate? I have been told by coworkers that that is over paying for a maid. We would have her work 3 days a week, but we are also considering 5 days a week if it is more cost effective.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We pay for a laundry woman that comes twice a week 6000 per month (and that's after she has been with us for a year. Comes down to 700 pesos per day, including transport. 500 pesos per day excluding transport seems about right. It's not overpaying.

If you hire someone for a month the rate per day goes down. We pay 11000 per month to our maid of 5.5 days per week (sleep in) including transportation. This comes down to 461 pesos per day.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I am new to the website, new to the country, and seeking some advice. I recently moved to Santo Domingo and am looking to hire a part time maid to do the household cleaning, occasionally cook dinner, and watch the kids for a few hours a day if my wife needs to leave the house without them. We live in an 3 bed 4 bath apartment that is just over 3,000 sq ft in Naco. Would 500 RD a day plus transportation cost be appropriate? I have been told by coworkers that that is over paying for a maid. We would have her work 3 days a week, but we are also considering 5 days a week if it is more cost effective.

500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola. This is someone you will trust to mind your kids?

I don't know what the rate is but surely know no way would I be that cheap. I would think at least 1,000 pesos a day, transportation, and a plato del dia with enough leftovers to take home and feed her kids. Just sayin'

Really, what is someone to do with 500 pesos a day?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Crappy Suff

500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola

Dominican maids do not feed on that.

The pay is not great but about right.
If she works well give her a pay rise.

donP

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Even though it is SD, my 2 bit.
Campo, haitian lady friend. I never have wanted a maid. Pay as we go, is more my way. 300, 400 pesos a days work.
Well recently this haitiana friend of my wife ( who is a great person, helped out my wife free of charge when she broke her foot, cooks, weeds, laundry, clean...... u name it she does it......), has trouble meeting ends.
Cacao collecting in fincas is not what it used to be a couple of years back......

Anyway she asked if we could employ her full time. I explained that we didnt have the money to be able to do that. ( in 3 years my wife and I hace veen here like 24 months, without income......).
They talked after that. She tells my wife for 3000 pesos a month, she will come 6 days a week !!!!!!
She, of course gets fed well ( eats the same as us ), and gets platanos, eggs, chickens, yucca, whatever we are harvesting....... to take home.
She says it is worth it, only for the produce. And because we treat her like a real person (!!!!!).

Anyway, in the end she gets 3500 pesos a month, any day off she needs to work somewhere else ( but she seldom uses any.....), and a "kitty" of 1000 pesos a month, to be paid when we go back to europe for a stint. ( I regurlay propose to pay it off, but she prefers it to be safe with us ).

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
We live in Santiago and recently hired a maid recommended by members from DR1.

They said we could pay around RD$500-600/day depending on how we negociate.

She does a great job and has exceeded expectations consistently.

We pay her RD$800/day.

Sometimes you get what you pay for.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola. This is someone you will trust to mind your kids?

I don't know what the rate is but surely know no way would I be that cheap. I would think at least 1,000 pesos a day, transportation, and a plato del dia with enough leftovers to take home and feed her kids. Just sayin'

Really, what is someone to do with 500 pesos a day?

Construction workers make no more than that and most work a lot harder than maids.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Even though it is SD, my 2 bit.
Campo, haitian lady friend. I never have wanted a maid. Pay as we go, is more my way. 300, 400 pesos a days work.
Well recently this haitiana friend of my wife ( who is a great person, helped out my wife free of charge when she broke her foot, cooks, weeds, laundry, clean...... u name it she does it......), has trouble meeting ends.
Cacao collecting in fincas is not what it used to be a couple of years back......

Anyway she asked if we could employ her full time. I explained that we didnt have the money to be able to do that. ( in 3 years my wife and I hace veen here like 24 months, without income......).
They talked after that. She tells my wife for 3000 pesos a month, she will come 6 days a week !!!!!!
She, of course gets fed well ( eats the same as us ), and gets platanos, eggs, chickens, yucca, whatever we are harvesting....... to take home.
She says it is worth it, only for the produce. And because we treat her like a real person (!!!!!).

Anyway, in the end she gets 3500 pesos a month, any day off she needs to work somewhere else ( but she seldom uses any.....), and a "kitty" of 1000 pesos a month, to be paid when we go back to europe for a stint. ( I regurlay propose to pay it off, but she prefers it to be safe with us ).
Sounds like a keeper

Feb 7, 2007
500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola ... I don't know what the rate is but surely know no way would I be that cheap. I would think at least 1,000 pesos a day, transportation, and a plato del dia with enough leftovers to take home and feed her kids.

Are you NUTS?
1,000 x 22 = 22, 000 pesos per month + food + transportation.
Again, are you NUTS?

I have a friend, she is studying law at a private university about to graduate, pays her tuition, has a 5 year old kid, works at a cable company at customer service, and gets paid 12,000 pesos per month. The only benefit (besides obligatory TSS health insurance, etc.) she gets is a flexible work schedule.
Not even cashiers at banks make 22,000 pesos... maybe the ones that have been employed for couple of years.

Rethink your numbers.

Feb 7, 2007
No I am not NUTS, it's MY MONEY and I spend it as I please. Don't know where you came up with this times 22 mess and you don't even know the circumstances.............. Mind your business.............

As long as you post on a public board, I have the right to respond to your posts, and I will exercise my right. If you do not want people replying, set up your own bigbirdsprivateforum.com and there you can tell people to mind their business. Until then, sorry tough luck.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Those overpaying (like 1000 pesos per day) have no idea what they are doing. To themselves, to the employee and to others.

Adapt to the country and its ways.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
do u need an experienced interviewer? i know all the right questions and how to see if they go the extra "distance" for the heffe? if not well thats that...better be careful... u tell me what u like and ill arrange to find a pleasing one...irons...cooks, shops on way to work,,,trustworthy of small sums etc lives close by...experienced??????? if you know what i mean....
my fees? to be billed to you...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Those overpaying (like 1000 pesos per day) have no idea what they are doing. To themselves, to the employee and to others.

Adapt to the country and its ways.

OK, this is how I see it. The OP is looking for someone part time to cook, clean and watch the kids. I would imagine part time would mean NO benefits other than the daily pay. Also the OP is located in Naco so my guess the maid might spend 45 minutes or more commuting each way. If this was a full time position with the benefits I might think different.

Just don't seem right. I go to McDonalds order two Big Macs and two cokes and spend more money than I pay a maid who spends her day cleaning my toilet.............. just me

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
but dom people dont go to big macs...want to but dont earn enough.... and evan if they did probably ear/mark the money for something else...water bill etc...school clothes...gas

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
If you pay too much people take you for granted. The maids are not your friends, the are a service just like your electricity or cable. Treating them too good is when you run into problems ie sense of entitlement, severance issues etc.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you pay too much people take you for granted. The maids are not your friends, the are a service just like your electricity or cable. Treating them too good is when you run into problems ie sense of entitlement, severance issues etc.

I understand this but at the same time should not someone at least make enough money to survive. I don't know if there is but there should be a minimum wage in la rep dom of 100 pesos an hour? I am quite sure peeps who hire maids can afford this.