Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Maid Salary in Santo Domingo???

    I am new to the website, new to the country, and seeking some advice. I recently moved to Santo Domingo and am looking to hire a part time maid to do the household cleaning, occasionally cook dinner, and watch the kids for a few hours a day if my wife needs to leave the house without them. We live in an 3 bed 4 bath apartment that is just over 3,000 sq ft in Naco. Would 500 RD a day plus transportation cost be appropriate? I have been told by coworkers that that is over paying for a maid. We would have her work 3 days a week, but we are also considering 5 days a week if it is more cost effective.

  2. #2
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    5,375
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We pay for a laundry woman that comes twice a week 6000 per month (and that's after she has been with us for a year. Comes down to 700 pesos per day, including transport. 500 pesos per day excluding transport seems about right. It's not overpaying.

    If you hire someone for a month the rate per day goes down. We pay 11000 per month to our maid of 5.5 days per week (sleep in) including transportation. This comes down to 461 pesos per day.

  3. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
  4. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlobeTrot View Post
    I am new to the website, new to the country, and seeking some advice. I recently moved to Santo Domingo and am looking to hire a part time maid to do the household cleaning, occasionally cook dinner, and watch the kids for a few hours a day if my wife needs to leave the house without them. We live in an 3 bed 4 bath apartment that is just over 3,000 sq ft in Naco. Would 500 RD a day plus transportation cost be appropriate? I have been told by coworkers that that is over paying for a maid. We would have her work 3 days a week, but we are also considering 5 days a week if it is more cost effective.
    500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola. This is someone you will trust to mind your kids?

    I don't know what the rate is but surely know no way would I be that cheap. I would think at least 1,000 pesos a day, transportation, and a plato del dia with enough leftovers to take home and feed her kids. Just sayin'

    Really, what is someone to do with 500 pesos a day?

  5. Likes JMB773 liked this post
    Dislikes rubio_higuey, rfp, Criss Colon, TP666 disliked this post
  6. #4
    Gold
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    6,604
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Crappy Suff

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola
    Dominican maids do not feed on that.

    The pay is not great but about right.
    If she works well give her a pay rise.



    donP

  7. Likes rfp, caribmike liked this post
  8. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Even though it is SD, my 2 bit.
    Campo, haitian lady friend. I never have wanted a maid. Pay as we go, is more my way. 300, 400 pesos a days work.
    Well recently this haitiana friend of my wife ( who is a great person, helped out my wife free of charge when she broke her foot, cooks, weeds, laundry, clean...... u name it she does it......), has trouble meeting ends.
    Cacao collecting in fincas is not what it used to be a couple of years back......

    Anyway she asked if we could employ her full time. I explained that we didnt have the money to be able to do that. ( in 3 years my wife and I hace veen here like 24 months, without income......).
    They talked after that. She tells my wife for 3000 pesos a month, she will come 6 days a week !!!!!!
    She, of course gets fed well ( eats the same as us ), and gets platanos, eggs, chickens, yucca, whatever we are harvesting....... to take home.
    She says it is worth it, only for the produce. And because we treat her like a real person (!!!!!).

    Anyway, in the end she gets 3500 pesos a month, any day off she needs to work somewhere else ( but she seldom uses any.....), and a "kitty" of 1000 pesos a month, to be paid when we go back to europe for a stint. ( I regurlay propose to pay it off, but she prefers it to be safe with us ).

  9. Likes TP666 liked this post
  10. #6
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    662
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We live in Santiago and recently hired a maid recommended by members from DR1.

    They said we could pay around RD$500-600/day depending on how we negociate.

    She does a great job and has exceeded expectations consistently.

    We pay her RD$800/day.

    Sometimes you get what you pay for.

  11. Likes retiree, TP666 liked this post
    Dislikes rfp disliked this post
  12. #7
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola......
    Quote Originally Posted by donP View Post
    Dominican maids do not feed on that.......
    I am well aware of that. With what little they get paid they could never afford to treat themselves to nothing.

  13. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    27,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    500 RD a day? Wow, that isn't enough to buy a pizza and a 2 liter Coca-Cola. This is someone you will trust to mind your kids?

    I don't know what the rate is but surely know no way would I be that cheap. I would think at least 1,000 pesos a day, transportation, and a plato del dia with enough leftovers to take home and feed her kids. Just sayin'

    Really, what is someone to do with 500 pesos a day?
    Construction workers make no more than that and most work a lot harder than maids.

  14. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    27,025
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Even though it is SD, my 2 bit.
    Campo, haitian lady friend. I never have wanted a maid. Pay as we go, is more my way. 300, 400 pesos a days work.
    Well recently this haitiana friend of my wife ( who is a great person, helped out my wife free of charge when she broke her foot, cooks, weeds, laundry, clean...... u name it she does it......), has trouble meeting ends.
    Cacao collecting in fincas is not what it used to be a couple of years back......

    Anyway she asked if we could employ her full time. I explained that we didnt have the money to be able to do that. ( in 3 years my wife and I hace veen here like 24 months, without income......).
    They talked after that. She tells my wife for 3000 pesos a month, she will come 6 days a week !!!!!!
    She, of course gets fed well ( eats the same as us ), and gets platanos, eggs, chickens, yucca, whatever we are harvesting....... to take home.
    She says it is worth it, only for the produce. And because we treat her like a real person (!!!!!).

    Anyway, in the end she gets 3500 pesos a month, any day off she needs to work somewhere else ( but she seldom uses any.....), and a "kitty" of 1000 pesos a month, to be paid when we go back to europe for a stint. ( I regurlay propose to pay it off, but she prefers it to be safe with us ).
    Sounds like a keeper

  15. Likes malko liked this post
  16. #10
    Gold
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,376
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Construction workers make no more than that and most work a lot harder than maids.
    That's a darn shame, no wonder so many people are living below the poverty level. Just to think these are people lucky enough to get a job. SMH

  17. Likes TP666 liked this post
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •