Jarabacoa

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I was in Jarabacoa today. Had lunch at an OK restaraunt on the road that becomes the city street. Potentially, a nice place (next to a super Mercado). Got a sandwich named pastrami and motzarella. Not pastrami maybe motzarella, complained to deaf hefe / 300 pesos.

I visited one of the falls, took pictures, walked the suspension bridges. Weather threatening but comfortable. Wonderful visit.

I also visited a wonderful bakery. I could smell it from the road. Reasonable price, mouth watering flavor! Got scones.

That restarant had some desirable wines - I was afraid to ask a price! 2006 cupcake cab.

Ate some kind of sweet concoction: on highway, sweet, coconut, mound shaped like aluminum cooking pot, firm. Anyone know what that was? 20 places selling the same thing.

Visiting is different rhan living so: What I would like to hear here is your opinions about living there. Communities, costs high/low compared to STI, crime, gringos, traffic, ...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Traffic is terrible but the town is small so if you time your trips you can avoid most of the bad traffic. You were eating Arepa, which is cornbread that comes in many variations. Very good breakfast and coffee at the restaurant you ate at.
Definitely less crime than most parts of the county but you still have to be careful where you live and where you go. Absolutely great countryside to explore with decent roads.
To me the best thing about living here is the people and the weather. Not as hot during the day as Santiago and a little cooler at night. Good air-conditioned gym for 1000 pesos per month. Fruit and veggies, eggs and chicken cheaper than the supermarkets in Santiago but for more variety Santiago is definitely better, but it's only 40 minutes away.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Jarabacoa is a popular vacation home destination for wealthy Dominicans. That is why there are so many vacant homes that can e had for relatively little rent but are so expensive to buy. These people don't have a need to sell.

That is why the stores are well stocked. Dominicans drive up from Santo Domingo and stock what they are missing there for home cooking.

There are many Dominicans that could live anywhere else that have moved there from the big cities here and live there all year round.

The town even has a small university.

Many foreigners have retired there. The main entertainment is meeting with friends. There is good internet service. And the weather and landscape is the big draw, albeit it is becoming more populated.