Jeeps and extra modifications

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I don't know if it was done here but there's a matt black Wrangler on steroids running around in Sosua.

Really raised and gigantic tyres.Needs a ladder to get up there. I didn't get a photo, sorry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have seen one or two of those in POP as well. no idea if pimping was done in DR or they were shipped as is.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Go to quadratec.com
They are a US based aftermarket supplier that sells only Jeep parts. They have everything you could ever want for a CJ, TJ, or Wrangler. Shipping parts here is also easy if you use a service like BMG or similar.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I should also say that just get the suspension components from the company I mentioned. Shop them and Tirerack for tires and wheels but I think you can get them here for a much better deal.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
What exactly do you want done? I have a JKU and I know the guys in Santiago that do Jeep lifting although I do all my own work. You will need to import the parts yourself from the states. Also order a 6th tire for when you blow one out because they aren't available here, hard to believe with all the Jeeps running around.

rob

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
That hi tech lift will cost you. There are simpler ways
To get that " look" like body spacers and 31" wheels. You may want to
Order tires and parts in the US and ship from miami. Buy extra tires!
There is a good retread tire company, treadwright, that has good molds, great price.
I picked up a set of bfgoodrich at ko copies, still rolling true after 3 years of use.
There is a big offroad community in the DR, you can maybe link up and get
What you are looking for. Check out youtube for videos, maybe you can get some leads
From there. Just comment and ask questions. goodluck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gas Mileage

If the circumference of the tire is larger, theoretically you should go further on one rotation and therefore get better miles..

but I am ready to be corrected

Jul 28, 2014
What you want for best mileage is for your engine to be at peak torque. An engine (no accessories), running at full throttle (we're ignoring power valves and other enrichment gadgets) has its lowest fuel consumption/unit power produced at the torque peak. The horsepower peak is a mathematical artifact of increasing RPM coupled with decreasing efficiency, and is not usually a good place to run for max. economy.

OK, now a little quick theory: The reason that economy (efficiency) maximizes at the torque peak is because this is the place where the engine is inhaling the greatest amount of fuel and air into the cylinder which, when burned, makes the peak amount of cylinder pressure and thus the maximum torque.

So for the tire part, they are heavier and therefore harder to turn, ultimately sapping power, as if there was a small load on your alternator. Also, with the tires at different diameter, you would no longer for example have the engine at the RPM's where its generating peak torque at your typical highway speed i.e. 55 mph. Tieing this together, thats a manufacturers goal, get your cars engine at peak torque development while driving at your legal speed limit while in your top gear

Last edited:

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
That hi tech lift will cost you. There are simpler ways
To get that " look" like body spacers and 31" wheels. You may want to
Order tires and parts in the US and ship from miami. Buy extra tires!
There is a good retread tire company, treadwright, that has good molds, great price.
I picked up a set of bfgoodrich at ko copies, still rolling true after 3 years of use.
There is a big offroad community in the DR, you can maybe link up and get
What you are looking for. Check out youtube for videos, maybe you can get some leads
From there. Just comment and ask questions. goodluck.
Pls forward any contact info for off road clubs. I would love to join. I ran into a great club in jarabaca last year. They were a great group of people. Pls forward their contact info if you know them. Tks

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
no idea but i can tell you how it affects my perception of the size of the dick of a man driving such car.

and how is that??? what do you think? ladies think wallet (big wallet dick size ) eh

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
I used to hook up with distant relatives, its been a few years. We used to time rally with rental cars and mess around in jarabacoa/cibao area with a dodge raider/montero of a cherokee both with simple lifts. I wouldnt be able to give outany club info as he used to get together with work pals and Friends.
I would search on youtube " 4x4 dominican" and some jeep clubs sponsor the videos. Comment and connect thru those means, you may have some luck. I have stopped off roading a few years now, so i havent kept in touch with those folks.if mechanically inclined a simple spacer and big tire combo will get you going.nice.
Yeah gas milage will suck with bigger tires, as that 4.0 wrangler engine sucks in milage anyways.
There is a viable option in the DR to go for a japanese 4 cylinder, lifted on spacers with off rode tires. At least parts replacement would be mucheasier to obtain locally, and most mechanics will be very familiar .