Claro question

Proera

Feb 16, 2015
Will claro be able to unlock a sprint iPhone.. I'm just asking cause I heard members say claro can but the topic was about and android.. As you know iPhones are a different story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Not sure about Claro but I know most phone shops will and are affordable.

Make sure you go to a phone shop in a know business area like a mall or a strip of road that has a lot of commercial stores.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I took in an i4 last year to a claro store and they would do it for 3000 pesos. I went to a orange store and they wanted 5000. Went back to claro and they now wanted 4000. Couldn't bring myself to spend this much on and older model cell much less to people who are just trying to rip me off. Next time I came with an unlocked phone .....no hassle

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Now that I think of it, the issue you may have is that only Viva and a few other carriers support CDMA, the technology most Sprint phones support. The LTE modules use a SIM card, so if your phone supports LTE then Claro and Orange become options for service.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Now that I think of it, the issue you may have is that only Viva and a few other carriers support CDMA, the technology most Sprint phones support. The LTE modules use a SIM card, so if your phone supports LTE then Claro and Orange become options for service.

Warning on Claro data service, I have a control plan, Dont forget to turn off Mobile Data option before add credit. My plan only have voice minutes, not Data, and its suppose do not have internet service.

I toped it with 50.00 pesos to send SMS to other carriers because my plan only have 25 SMS for free within claro Network and I started to receive whatsapp messeges, I went online to check my Data usage and its says that I dont have data package active.

I called customer service and they told me that smartphones in Claro if you do not have a Data plan, its connect itself to data service and took the money from the credit you added to your phone.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
claro is gsm but remember, claro was cdma before. having said that, claro still activates sprint and other CDMA phones on their CDMA network. I am not sure what data speed you will get as claro has gsm LTE on specific band. So your sprint phone will work and would have to be reprogrammed to work on claro system. Just that I am not sure if CDMA coverage is just as good as GSM coverage on claro network.
AZB

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
claro is gsm but remember, claro was cdma before. having said that, claro still activates sprint and other CDMA phones on their CDMA network. I am not sure what data speed you will get as claro has gsm LTE on specific band. So your sprint phone will work and would have to be reprogrammed to work on claro system. Just that I am not sure if CDMA coverage is just as good as GSM coverage on claro network.
AZB

Claro Turned off CDMA service from all his towers like 1 year ago, now only GSM service is avilable in Claro.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I was told by a cell phone carrier in the US that Iphones are not locked. After I updated to the latest phone, I asked them to unlock my old one and that is what they told me.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was told by a cell phone carrier in the US that Iphones are not locked. After I updated to the latest phone, I asked them to unlock my old one and that is what they told me.

Weird, I bring my iphone from Canada and the company charge 40.00 dollars to unlock, after 3 months of service they do not reject to unlock it, but maybe now in USA is diferent.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Claro Turned off CDMA service from all his towers like 1 year ago, now only GSM service is avilable in Claro.

thats strange. I was just shown a sprint samsung galaxy phone running on claro network like a month ago. At least I was told it was claro.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Weird, I bring my iphone from Canada and the company charge 40.00 dollars to unlock, after 3 months of service they do not reject to unlock it, but maybe now in USA is diferent.

Ipads with sims are not locked. they are unlocked from factory. Now the iphones are different story. they are generally locked. The AT&T iphones can be unlocked for very cheap from ebay. I had unlocked a few iphone 4's a year ago for like $2 dollars each but the maximum I paid was like 5 bucks to unlock an att iphone 4.
AZB

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Before we left the US, I had AT&T unlock my iPhone 5, thinking I might use it here. Forgot all about it when I went to Claro to pay for internet - our phones from last time were still working, we just added minutes.

Soooooo....next time I went to a Claro booth [Plaza Lama in SD] I brought both old and new iPhones and said I needed a new micro sim for the 5. Was told they can't do that there. Yesterday we were in SD with our multitude of things to do, and we passed the Claro headquarters, and stopped in. Fast service. Guy wanted to know if I was sure that the phone was unlocked. I said I was pretty sure, at least they'd told me it was. Mr. AE asks if they can unlock it if it's not, and he emphatically said no, which surprised me, because they'd unlocked one for me a few years ago. Turns out it was unlocked, he activated a new sim, and that was that. All done free.

So, is it that the little local kiosks/offices do it unofficially??