Complaints about Texaco near Cabarete.

May 29, 2006
I've seen two different ppl complain about being scammed at a Texaco near Cabarete. Here is one of their posts from FB:

People of Cabarete, a note to ask you to be vigealant when you put gas in your car at Texaco in Cabarete east. The last two times we put $2,000rds of gas we noticed that our gauge was not moving as much as it should. We have now tested our gauge movement with Coastal and can confirm that we get at least 1/3 more with Coastal. Either Texaco's pumps are broken or their counter is off. We have written to Texaco to report this.

And the other one:

THE PLACE WHERE A 3 BECOMES A 9
Beware of a scam at Texaxo gas station in Cabarete. On Saturday I went there to fill up my tank (it was half full). When the guy told me it was 1925 pesos I gulped. So I checked the display and did some quick maths. 7.44 gallons * 178 pesos = 1325. I showed the guy the calculator on my phone, he blabbed some random excuse, and gave me back 600 pesos. Happy ending for me but I'm afraid many people got (and are still getting) scammed.

The stupid thing is if you scam even a couple of pennies per gallon, you can make a bundle. Doing it this much is pretty hard to miss. Maybe only go where the moto drivers go..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Take a 1 gallon container and ask for 1 gallon. If it doesn't match the days price report it to whoever will listen that can shut them down

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
I had problems with that Texaco station back in 2004. They overcharged for some items I purchased in their store.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
always like isla and most of their attendants are regulars on the job say hello... like a propina left my cap got it back left my change got it back...etc

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I had an issue once with Texaco in Imbert. Price by gallon was cheaper than my local fill up station. But gauge was lower. Since I couldnt quantify it, or prove anything, I just sweared and cursed at the guy......
And of course never been there again.
Since then lots of people have told me not to go there, similar stories.....etc.

Same goes for gas/propane filling station. Use the same one all the time, one with a counter or weight thingy......otherwise they cheat.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I had problems with that Texaco station back in 2004. They overcharged for some items I purchased in their store.

2004? man, you can sure hold a grudge. ever felt tempted to make a videotape of a black haired girl crawl out of a well?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
At any gas station I am at my tiptoes; it's the best place to get ripped off!

During the whole "process" I check the following:

1. The meter is on zero and they put the correct amount on the pump.
2. I turn on the ignition (and turn off the music) but don't start the car so I can see the fuel-meter going up
3. I check under and beside of the fuel-entrance (via the driverside-mirror) if the gasoline is really going into my car and not in some jerrycan under or beside it.
4. I do not talk to nobody and pay no attention to whatever distraction; no matter how big they are or how short the skirt is.

So far I "survived" 4 attempts to charge me RD$ 2,000 but only putting in RD$ 1,500 and made RD$ 500 profit when the attendant made a calculation mistake because he was distracted by these big things walking by.... :)

fuchs4d

Mar 7, 2004
Scams are done by the employees, not the owners (they may manipulate the meters or mix in water).

Most common tricks:
- meter is not reset to zero
- sometimes with help of an aid. The aid promotion leaflets or offers some crap and put himself/herself between your eyes and the meter. They only need to keep the meter running for 10 seconds so you can not complain anymore that the meter was not reset. if you ignore the aid and insist to reset the meter, the aid looses all interest.

- Less change is returned by counting slow and pausing:
Example: If you put in for 400 pesos and pay with a 1000 bill, the attendant gives you pack 100 pesos note one by one and stops after 500. If you say nothing, he made 100. If you say something, he continues and hand you the last bill of 100. If the trick works 1 x per day, it is a 2500 extra per month.

Alexander

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
At any gas station I am at my tiptoes; it's the best place to get ripped off!

During the whole "process" I check the following:

1. The meter is on zero and they put the correct amount on the pump.
2. I turn on the ignition (and turn off the music) but don't start the car so I can see the fuel-meter going up
3. I check under and beside of the fuel-entrance (via the driverside-mirror) if the gasoline is really going into my car and not in some jerrycan under or beside it.
4. I do not talk to nobody and pay no attention to whatever distraction; no matter how big they are or how short the skirt is.

So far I "survived" 4 attempts to charge me RD$ 2,000 but only putting in RD$ 1,500 and made RD$ 500 profit when the attendant made a calculation mistake because he was distracted by these big things walking by.... :)

That's a new definition of making profit...also called stealing.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
i know one of the guys who is moaning on FB and, tbh, he has lived here long enough and should know better.
I NEVER say 'fill her up'...this is a recipe for disaster. Always ask for 1000, 2000 etc. Check its on zero and keep an eye out for other 'issues' and all is well.

If they have been doctoring the machines or diluting the gas its another story of course, and there's not a lot you can do about that. But getting diddled for calculations is your problem in this country

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i know one of the guys who is moaning on FB and, tbh, he has lived here long enough and should know better.
I NEVER say 'fill her up'...this is a recipe for disaster. Always ask for 1000, 2000 etc. Check its on zero and keep an eye out for other 'issues' and all is well.

If they have been doctoring the machines or diluting the gas its another story of course, and there's not a lot you can do about that. But getting diddled for calculations is your problem in this country

absolutely right!! it is sad to see guys who come from first world countries, having attended good schools and colleges, getting beaten out of 100 pesos by Joaquin, who can?t recognize his name on a napkin.

JackB17

Sep 29, 2012
I got scammed by the Esso in Las Terranas.
$2100 suddenly turned into $2900.............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I keep it simple. I always get out of my car, and watch the complete process. I know how much my car takes to fill up, and I always fill it up when it reaches a certain mileage on my trip meter.

we are scary alike. i also get out of the car and watch the pump and workers. i don't have an issue with filling up the tank rather than buying set amount. i always use the same gas station (since i only go around town) and usually ask to fill the car up. i know how much it costs, roughly.