Making an inverter and UPS work hand in hand

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I have an inverter and a UPS, but they don't work on the same frequency. When the power goes out and the inverter goes on, the inverter can't charge the UPS so the computer uses up the UPS's battery until it dies.

Is there a UPS that is compatible with inverters? I just need one that maintains the power for those few seconds between when the power goes out and the inverter kicks in.

Feb 7, 2007
UPS Omega. (from OmegaTech)
Also all reliable computer store should be able to tell you whether UPS they sell will work with inverters or not.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
So the UPS doesn't detect that main power has come back? That sounds like the inverter isn't providing enough juice so the UPS never switches back to main power.

Feb 7, 2007
So the UPS doesn't detect that main power has come back? That sounds like the inverter isn't providing enough juice so the UPS never switches back to main power.

Not true. The his UPS is not detecting that the inverter is proving power at all, that's the problem with some non-standard UPS. Buy OmegaTech UPS and you will be trouble free. Those guys get private label UPS made for them,a nd they know that se va la luz in DR and therefore have made their UPS work with inverters seamlessly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Same Problem

Same problem, yesterday we hooked up a UPS that we brought [brand new] from US. Won't work with the inverter.

Guess it needs a new home with someone who doesn't have an inverter. Anyone interested?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
My Omega UPS has sockets which are white and black - the important things, i.e. computer and screens and internet access need to be plugged into the black sockets in order to cope with the millisecond gap when switching from street power to inverter. Once I got that sorted, no further problems. I also have a similar UPS on TV and cable to Orange flybox which is installed high up on an antenna on my roof.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Back to the beginning. Some UPS units will not recognize the modified sine wave from most inverters (which is really more like a square wave). Those UPS units will then provide power from their small battery until the battery is drained and then only recharge on utility power which is a sine wave.

The solution is either to get a UPS that will charge from a square wave inverter or get a sine wave inverter to replace the square wave inverter.
(I had the same issue with a UPS that I brought in years ago.. )

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
I modified my APC UPS by connecting a 12V deep cycle battery and a charge maintainer. Keeps the modem and Wifi router on for hours and all battery powered devices online :)
IMG_20150311_130812.jpg