Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are close familes the reason

Don't know if I worded the title correctly but why do Dominicans stand close to you in line? When I'm at the bank, paying a bill, darned anywhere there is a line people seem to be inches from you.

The other day in the super market a guy put his items on the area to get scanned, but stood close to me, I was about to pay, but turned around and said back up you are too close. He didn't speak english but got the message and backed up.

2. Likes Jeepito liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i do it to cop a feel a hottie in front of me.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is cultural. I have noticed, different cultures have a different concepts of personal space. In my experience, American tend to say not as close to people than Europeans, I sometimes think it may be a way to deal with crowds (at least in NY). Even in a crowded subway, I see tourists tend to stay closer to the next passenger.

Different cultures, different customs.

Just like DV8, I don't care how people get close to me, I like the warmth . It does bother if I am at the ATM (and people do stay closer than I am used to in DR)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    Don't know if I worded the title correctly but why do Dominicans stand close to you in line? When I'm at the bank, paying a bill, darned anywhere there is a line people seem to be inches from you.

The other day in the super market a guy put his items on the area to get scanned, but stood close to me, I was about to pay, but turned around and said back up you are too close. He didn't speak english but got the message and backed up.
    i always wondered about that one, too. it shows in the way they drive, also. they leave no space between themselves and the car in front for braking distance.

i think i have it figured out. if they are standing beside you at the checkout counter, then they will get served sooner. or, so they think..if their car is pinned to your bumper, they will get to their destination sooner.

6. Likes frank12, Contango liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

yeh i lov it when your in some 3 world country and the b.o. is coming at u from front and rear...of course women try to douse themself w/toilet water that i probably paid for...i have figured out that smell is from the clothes....sleeping in them...

8. Likes ROLLOUT liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I notice they do stand too close to me in lines also. As Americans we are accustom to space.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chic View Post
    yeh i lov it when your in some 3 world country and the b.o. is coming at u from front and rear...of course women try to douse themself w/toilet water that i probably paid for...i have figured out that smell is from the clothes....sleeping in them...
    You must be talking about another country.

11. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In school even at a young age they crowd together in a line and push each other, and it takes a great deal of work and patience to break them of this habit. At the bank even with lines and arrows on the floor a proper line is almost impossible- gives the security guard something to do- keeping going in the right direction.
    Only bothers me when I'm in a hurry to get somewhere. Dominicans are the slowest walkers and clog up the sidewalk so it's like going through an obstacle course.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

At home I used to walk along the sidewalk at the quickest clip I could sustain. I could do that because it wasn't 100 degrees very often and the walk was relatively flat and level. Here, pick any sidewalk in SD; tree roots, heaved concrete and manholes with no covers dot the landscape. Some of the sidewalks in Sosua are not much better.

I've accepted my "Dominican Sheen" but I do not think I will ever be truly nonchalant about being moist all the time so I prefer a few degrees of separation between me and the bloke next to me in line. Especially kids who can't seem to not bump into me or touch me. I just turn around and say "Tengo herpes", they back up.

What really gets me is the propensity for Dominicans to step right in front of you to get something off a shelf or get closer to the head of a line without so much as an apologetic glance. I have never heard anyone say "excuse me" here.

While we are whining about the obvious, what's up with the concept of not turning off the volume on your phone when on a bus and texting fast and furiously? I was in SD earlier this week and this girl in front of me on the bus obviously hired someone to spend 4 hours texting her every 30 seconds to pass the time, bing...bing...bing...bing... Thoughts of famous serial killers danced in my head the whole time.

14. Likes Africaida, frank12 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

"Don't know if I worded the title correctly but why do Dominicans stand close to you in line? When I'm at the bank, paying a bill, darned anywhere there is a line people seem to be inches from you. "

Now I feel better. Thought I'm the only one bothered by it. Almost thought I am a sociopath...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast