Buying a motorcycle without papers

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have an itch that needs scratching.

When I lived in Wales a long time ago, I had a Honda CBR600. I loved that bike, but sold it when I moved here nine years ago.

The desire to own another one is getting stronger so I've started perusing the Dominican online classifieds.

I found this one

Honda CBR 2007 En Venta en Rep?blica Dominicana @SuperCarros.com - #446707

A bargain I thought. I rang the number and found out that this bike has no papers. It was assembled here from a crate of imported parts. He assured me that for around another 30,000 to 40,000 pesos he has a man who could "legalise" it.

Even if you factor that in with the purchase price (which he immediately dropped during our conversation), it's still a bargain.

Anyone have any experience with this?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
The easy of which they confiscate illegal vehicles since last year I would check with them directly what the process is for legalizing and registering a new bike. I certainly would not take a sellers word for anything.

You know Frank is selling both his bikes?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I have no intention of riding an illegal bike.

I suppose the question I am asking is, is it actually possible to legalise this bike? Or would I end up with some counterfeit matricula and a dodgy licence plate?

There are plenty of bikes out there, especially sports bikes "sin papeles"

I am just wondering if this legalisation process is legit.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
can you try taking on the process yourself and deducting the cost of that from your purchase ??

more comfort that way.........ask a lawyer, car/moto dealer

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You must be able to register a new build, or custom bikes would be illegal. I'd never in a million years trust a Dom to process anything like this where corners and costs could be cut, therefor leaving me/you riding around oblivious until we were called to produce.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
find a willing dealer who'll register it for a fee..

park the bike there until the papers are good... check them online or in person at the proper office for verification

once you're satisfied - buy the bike and drive away

I would control the process myself , in your shoes

SORRY... yes donP... ita a dealer selling

most of my worries just went away
beyond the verification process part, that is

Jan 9, 2004
A bargain I thought. I rang the number and found out that this bike has no papers. It was assembled here from a crate of imported parts. He assured me that for around another 30,000 to 40,000 pesos he has a man who could "legalise" it.

Sort of begs the question....If he assured you he can "legalise" it....why has he not done so....and reflect it in his price?

While legalization is likely possible...what are the potential costs and time;

1. 18% ITBIS; (probably as to the value when new....if you cannot definitevly show when it was imported;
2. 17% first placa;
3. penalty for illegal important ?????
4. Paperwork to get a Matricula issued in the DR;
5. Paperwork to determine the bike was not stolen and then imported (piece by piece);
6. Inspections;
7. Impoundment until it is legal or it disappears;
8. Your time to get this done...if ever...to become legal.

Good Luck....if you go forward

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Sort of begs the question....If he assured you he can "legalise" it....why has he not done so....and reflect it in his price?

While legalization is likely possible...what are the potential costs and time;

1. 18% ITBIS; (probably as to the value when new....if you cannot definitevly show when it was imported;
2. 17% first placa;
3. penalty for illegal important ?????
4. Paperwork to get a Matricula issued in the DR;
5. Paperwork to determine the bike was not stolen and then imported (piece by piece);
6. Inspections;
7. Your time to get this done...if ever...to become legal.

Good Luck....if you go forward

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

My thoughts too.

If it was possible to legalise it, why not do it and sell a legit bike? It would have probably been sold by now as he told me he's had it for several months now.

That ad in Supercarros has been running for at least two months so far. In fact it went away and then came back again a couple of days ago.

Jan 9, 2004
My thoughts too.

If it was possible to legalise it, why not do it and sell a legit bike? It would have probably been sold by now as he told me he's had it for several months now.

That ad in Supercarros has been running for at least two months so far. In fact it went away and then came back again a couple of days ago.

Exactly.

And also adding, if it is only 30-40k pesos to now make it legal....why go through the trouble of dismantling it, importing it piece by piece and then re-assembly.

Seems like a lot of work to save only 30-40k pesos....and quite frankly, I am suspect.

Run...don't walk from this one.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Another thing what has nothing to do with the registration: are you sure you want to drive such a (fast) bike here!
You can be the best Grand Prix Motorcycle driver in the world but Dominicans are not!

I had one to check it out for a week before buying but I declined; it's too dangerous.

Anyway good luck with the registration-process and please always wear a (good) helmet and protective clothes, even when it is 35degrees Celsius and you are sweating your a$$ off.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another thing what has nothing to do with the registration: are you sure you want to drive such a (fast) bike here!
You can be the best Grand Prix Motorcycle driver in the world but Dominicans are not!

I had one to check it out for a week before buying but I declined; it's too dangerous.

Anyway good luck with the registration-process and please always wear a (good) helmet and protective clothes, even when it is 35degrees Celsius and you are sweating your a$$ off.

In my opinion, bigger bikes are safer than small ones.

You own your piece of the road, I won't be riding in the gutter along with the Dominicans on their putt-putts.

I will be going with the speed of the flowing traffic, if not faster. Traffic will not be overtaking me.

I have a gold seal Helmet and a complete set of leathers. (Just need to loose a few more pounds until they fit me again) And yes' I'm prepared to sweat my a$$ off wearing them!

I will ride defensively, obey the road laws and I will ALWAYS look before pulling out! Followed by the "life saver"

[video=youtube;HuRgUAI0UIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRgUAI0UIg[/video]

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I bought a bike and it also didn't have papers that were legal. It was registered as another brand and wrong serial number. I was told by a person who works at aduana that it would cost me about 40000 pesos to get it legal. It would be registered as coming in on a container shipment from someone else and then registering to me. He assured me it would be completely legal and the fee would cover all taxes and duty. I let it go. Got into an accident with it and continue riding it, insure ....Risky I know but living here is risky. I wouldn't do it again. I prefere peace of mind.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
It obvious what the problem is in that video. The guy is driving on the wrong side of the road.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
You can be defensive all you like and you will still be in a wreck. They go through lights, ride on the sidewalks, pass everywhere, have no lights, have no mirrors, never signal, and the biggest problem of all you are a gringo. In the DR everyone who drives is in a wreck. Drive a big car and live or ride a motorcycle and maybe survive? You see the insides of Dominican hospitals lately. I love fast bikes. Would not ride one in the DR if it was given to me. In first world countries motorcycles are merely dangerous but here they are death or serious injury certainty. To each his own and good luck. Hope you are the exception to the rule.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You can be defensive all you like and you will still be in a wreck. They go through lights, ride on the sidewalks, pass everywhere, have no lights, have no mirrors, never signal, and the biggest problem of all you are a gringo. In the DR everyone who drives is in a wreck. Drive a big car and live or ride a motorcycle and maybe survive? You see the insides of Dominican hospitals lately. I love fast bikes. Would not ride one in the DR if it was given to me. In first world countries motorcycles are merely dangerous but here they are death or serious injury certainty. To each his own and good luck. Hope you are the exception to the rule.

the fact that YOU drive defensively, obey the rules of the road, stop at traffic lights , and adhere to the speed limit is irrelevant. the guy who does not will always find you.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
That bike cannot be registered. Period. It cannot be made Legal. It cannot now, go back, and get the Aduana paper that it needed before it left the shipping dock.

The first time you get stopped by G2, it will be confiscated, but if you are carrying a lot of cash on you, you can buy them off. However, how many times are you willing to do that before it gets really old?

Also, the sports bikes that are not legal here only manage to fly underneath the radar by either, A.) not stopping at road blocks under any circumstance--including turning around and going back the way you came if you see them beforehand, or B.) they travel in large groups of other bikes on road trips. I have traveled with a lot of groups out of Puerto Plata. Some of the bikes had no papers, but the Dominicans riding them were cops.

The Dominican Fuji Camera store owner here in Cabarete has had two big bikes taken from him by the G2 police. He's Dominican, a businessman, and still could not stop the police from taking them. Go talk to him.

Ask me any question you want.

Frank

Last edited:

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
In my opinion, bigger bikes are safer than small ones.

You own your piece of the road, I won't be riding in the gutter along with the Dominicans on their putt-putts.

I will be going with the speed of the flowing traffic, if not faster. Traffic will not be overtaking me.

I have a gold seal Helmet and a complete set of leathers. (Just need to loose a few more pounds until they fit me again) And yes' I'm prepared to sweat my a$$ off wearing them!

I will ride defensively, obey the road laws and I will ALWAYS look before pulling out! Followed by the "life saver"

[video=youtube;HuRgUAI0UIg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuRgUAI0UIg[/video]

Exactly, no one is over-taking me or passing me. period. Unless it's someone in one hell of a hurry.

I've been driving motorcycles here every year since 1979. No problems. And i go everywhere on this island.

Frank