What's the difference between a Pollo and a Gallina

Status
Not open for further replies.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I stumbled by a "Pollera" that sells both pollos and gallinas... What's the difference? The lady just told me that Gallina meat is tougher but didn't explain why.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
I stumbled by a "Pollera" that sells both pollos and gallinas... What's the difference? The lady just told me that Gallina meat is tougher but didn't explain why.

Pollo is chicken while a gallina is a Hen

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the gallina has won a muscle building contest.... The pollo hasn't

pollo is your pick...IMO..........hence --- pic-a-pollo

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

The difference between the two is the same as store bought turkey and wild turkey. One has white meat and dark meat. The other is all dark meat. The flavor between the two is also noticeable. You should try the gallina just to experience the difference.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
Just speculation, however, gallina may be boiling fowl in English.
That is good for making soup.

Gallina would have been a laying hen that is no longer laying.

DS

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
pollo is your regular chikkin. gallina is like a dried up old hag. full of flavour but not easy to cook. great for sancocho.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
The Gallina is usually an old hen and it's only good for soup because the meat is tough. In the US it's know as a soup chicken if you go buy it at a livery. So if you are making soup or Sancocho a pollo will fall apart while the gallina will hold it's shape the entire time it's cooking, a long time to soften. Most Dr if they have it use a pressure cooker to soften it first.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
Someone just told me that pollos are injected with hormones while gallinas come from the campo and are therefore all natural.

Any truth to that?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would say in the rest of the world that may be true.........

In RD, not so sure
just an old vs young thing , I think

not many spring chickens in Gallinaville...................;)

Status
Not open for further replies.