One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
"EF EPI"
EF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY INDEX

screen-shot-2015-02-13-at-3-59-06-pm.jpeg

screen-shot-2015-02-13-at-3-33-57-pm.jpeg

EF ENGLISH PROFICIENCY INDEX

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mundo/noticias/2015/02/150210_ingles_idioma_aptitud_indice_wbm

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Picardo, because you posted this I assume you think this is good news asbout the DR.

What I see it as negative but an opportunity for this country. If India can task IT jobs and call center jobs that could be be better served by a country in the same time-zone as the tje US. India's education equals the DR.

I Would prefer to manage a team off-shore in the DR rather than in India!

So I see negative but an opportunity for offshore software deverlopers asnd more call centers.

I will be glad to tell you about the mountains of other reasons.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
So according to this Argentina has a 59% ESL proficiency and the D. R. is #2 with 53%?

I guess it means that those are the percentages of course information retained by citizens who have taken the course. They can't possibly be trying to say that those are the percentages of citizens who actually speak English as a 2nd language. Where are they hiding all those People?

WillsonCori

Jan 28, 2015
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0wkzOF16wk

its common for countries to stretch the truth a bit when it comes to speaking English. Hell where i live they label themselves as the 3rd largest English speaking nation in the world...I also wonder where are all of these English speakers hiding? I can go weeks without hearing a sentence. This man wanted me to interview him in English and them lost it haha

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Dont make fun of Pichardo, its true !!!! Its just that all the dominicans who speak english left for the fabulous and great nation of Nueva Yol...........

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Must be self reported, and worthless.

You beat me to it. I checked Wikipedia, reliable source of everything,:laugh: which had this criticism:

The EF English Proficiency Index has been criticized for its lack of representative sampling in each country.[5] The report states that participants in the tests are self-selected and must have access to the internet. This pushes the index towards the realm of an online survey rather than a statistically valid evaluation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So according to this Argentina has a 59% ESL proficiency and the D. R. is #2 with 53%?
I guess it means that those are the percentages of course information retained by citizens who have taken the course. They can't possibly be trying to say that those are the percentages of citizens who actually speak English as a 2nd language. Where are they hiding all those People?

just click on pichi's link and go to "metodologia". this is calculated based on the proficiency of people who did the test, online, from this page. another laughable "achievement" of the dominican nation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
PICHARDO?S focal problem is that he forgets to consider the fact that there are some very sharp, educated, thoughtful people in the site. he apparently believes that his target audience at DR1 is no smarter than a group of guys at the colmadon.

PICHARDO, you have to rethink some of this stuff.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
just click on pichi's link and go to "metodologia". this is calculated based on the proficiency of people who did the test, online, from this page. another laughable "achievement" of the dominican nation.

Given the methodology, it may be true. I have met- or rather chat with - many Dominicans who speak good English through my children. A lot of times in LT, my children end up playing with English speaking children (kids have a sixth sense I swear) on the beach. It is always Dominican from the Capital who kids go to bilingual schools and often the parents speak English as well. So, it may be true that most or many upper class Dominicans have decent English skills.

Feb 7, 2007
PICHARDO?S focal problem is that he forgets to consider the fact that there are some very sharp, educated, thoughtful people in the site. he apparently believes that his target audience at DR1 is no smarter than a group of guys at the colmadon.

I would give you double like for this post if I could

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Nailed it.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
which is =5 % of DR's population ?
lol at this topic... once again - its like news from parallel universe
always something funny
Given the methodology, it may be true. I have met- or rather chat with - many Dominicans who speak good English through my children. A lot of times in LT, my children end up playing with English speaking children (kids have a sixth sense I swear) on the beach. It is always Dominican from the Capital who kids go to bilingual schools and often the parents speak English as well. So, it may be true that most or many upper class Dominicans have decent English skills.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
PICHARDO is saying DR ranks better than most countries in Latin America (given the methodology), which is true.