Introduction to a Casa de Cambio in Sosua/Cabarete

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is my understanding that if one wishes to bypass the banks and have a personal check cashed, it's possible but an introduction by an established customer is usually required. I'm growing weary of waiting for the banks to release my funds after it clears the bank in NA and gouge me on the conversion and fees to boot.

I'm looking to cash one check in USD per month for an amount between $1000 - $3000. The check can be drawn on a Canadian Bank or a US Bank whichever makes the transaction easier.

Any suggestions on where to go and how to set this up if it is still possible to do?

Thx.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Establishing Confidence

...an introduction by an established customer is usually required.
Any suggestions on where to go and how to set this up if it is still possible to do?

A telephone conversation between the owner of the 'casa de cambio' and your financial adviser (to whom you give permission to reveal your financial situation) usually helps.
Stick to ONE place where you cash your cheques.

donP

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
The one I use is Wally's across the street from Villa Taina. You will need a introduction of some sort. One of my friends introduced me. Wally is a no nonsense type of guy. He can cash a $3,000 check too (with a couple hour notice).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
they will want the US based bank... not the Cdn

have you got a retailer that you frequent regularly?
They may be able to vouch for you

have your cedula , etc ready

shouldn't be hard, even you start with smaller amounts and work up to larger