Gagua travel Cofressi/POP

kiki123

Feb 21, 2015
Hi there,
Someone was kind enough to give me these directions before, a few years back, but now I can't find the response. I will be staying in Cofressi (LHVC) and would like to take the local gagua to town and to the fort. Would someone help me out with instruction on where to catch it, if there is a certain # or something I have to take so I don't wind up in the wrong place etc.
Any tips on inexpensive and interesting (yet safe) things I can do with friends who would like to get off resort and see the city and what the country really looks like, do some shopping etc. would be great?. not interested in bars or nightlife, more cultural etc.
thanks!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
after leaving the hotel and cofresi, cross the main road. the guaguas are right opposite from the entrance. you can take both C and F to the city centre. C is a shorter ride and follows main road, then makes turn towards sosua and ends the route around munoz. F is slower as it drives through the barrio and then into the city.

none will take you to the fort/malecon, really, as this is no guagua zone. if you take C you can get off at the rotunda,close to the stadium and walk to the malecon (about 5 minutes). this will take you to the eastern end of the malecon which is opposite to where the fort is. i am not sure of the exact ruta for F guagua but it does pass avenida caamano (formerly avenida colon) and you can ask to get out there. then walk towards the ocean (again, about 5 minutes) and you will also reach the malecon,next door to the fort.

last time i took a ride it was 25 pesos. have exact change.

kiki123

Feb 21, 2015
Thanks dv8!

On a separate matter, we have a couple old claro alcatel phones we got about 3 or 4 years ago. They still turn on, but the sim cards have expired. last time we went there we couldn't get replacement sim cards or minutes on the resort, and didn't wind up leaving the property, so just lived without them. Have you any tips on places convenient to the resort to get the sim cards and minutes, or even better, if these can be obtained in the POP airport?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not use pay as you go phones. there have been recent changes regarding the use of mobile phones in DR and apparently now you need to register the sim card. someone else should be able to advise whether you can still get the cars from random sellers.

i would suggest to bring your regular smart phone. free wifi is available in many areas in POP so you can communicate using mobile apps like whatsapp, line, skype and so on.

kiki123

Feb 21, 2015
I read that there have been changes…but we like to use the phone, so hope to figure something out. looked at buying the sim card online in advance but it's pretty pricey. for us, we like the phone as the resort is really big and spread out, and it is very convenient to have a phone to stay in touch with each other so we can meet up without going in circles looking for each other…. as for our home phones don't like to leave our iPhones unguarded on our beach bed while we swim-- if they get stollen it costs +$700 to replace them, plus so much personal data on there…
Any tips appreciated, otherwise we'll wing it when we get there :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Easy. Any claro small shop thing, Sim card 50 or 100 pesos. Need Id. One recharge as u get 3 claro numbers u can choose to phone free !!!