dv8, please help

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can you, or anyone tell if the gist of Leonel?s statement is that he never knew that Quirino was a dope pusher..

youtu.be/oanzknPzmm0

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the gist of what he says is that many people in the position of power and/or money meet with a variety of folks they do not really know. those who dip their fingers in dirty money seek those with power and money to create links and connections.
at the time he was campaigning he met quirino but he did not know what he did, quirino was one of many people who turned to leonel to support the campaign. thus, leonel was simply a victim.

interestingly, the interviewer asks if it was also a case for previous president (hipolito) to which leonel responds that different people are under different circumstances. and here the video cuts.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the gist of what he says is that many people in the position of power and/or money meet with a variety of folks they do not really know. those who dip their fingers in dirty money seek those with power and money to create links and connections.
at the time he was campaigning he met quirino but he did not know what he did, quirino was one of many people who turned to leonel to support the campaign. thus, leonel was simply a victim.

interestingly, the interviewer asks if it was also a case for previous president (hipolito) to which leonel responds that different people are under different circumstances. and here the video cuts.

so i guess that he never knew what Paulino did for a living, and did not bother to try to find out.

yeah..sure.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
leonel is not stupid. he makes some valid points. indeed, people like quirino will drift towards politicians and businessmen with legit (well, so to speak) money and connections. and politicians in campaign meet hundreds if not thousands of people. they cannot possibly know much about them. even when it comes to those who donate heavy cash, it's not rational to expect that leonel himself would dig up confidential info of his benefactors.

personally i do think that leonel knew about quirino but he is preparing the ground to shift the blame on "his people". just listen to him talk. one finds oneself nodding in agreement. he's a smooth talker, our leonel.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
can you give the money back to a crim???give it to the ????????????????????????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
leonel is not stupid. he makes some valid points. indeed, people like quirino will drift towards politicians and businessmen with legit (well, so to speak) money and connections. and politicians in campaign meet hundreds if not thousands of people. they cannot possibly know much about them. even when it comes to those who donate heavy cash, it's not rational to expect that leonel himself would dig up confidential info of his benefactors.

personally i do think that leonel knew about quirino but he is preparing the ground to shift the blame on "his people". just listen to him talk. one finds oneself nodding in agreement. he's a smooth talker, our leonel.

he must have known. the DR is a very small country, and anyone of Leonel?s position in the country knows all the people who can afford to throw 200 million around. if he does not, he can find out in 10 minutes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think this is irrelevant.what matters is whether he can convince people that he did not know. it's a bit like murder: one can get away with it regardless whether they are guilty or not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think this is irrelevant.what matters is whether he can convince people that he did not know. it's a bit like murder: one can get away with it regardless whether they are guilty or not.

if he admits he took the money, he will never be able to convince more than a few people that he did not know. i am a caribbean man..i know how we think.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
you dont have to be from carib to understand he took the money....
can the money be traced????

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When a politician accepts money from an individual or corporation, they inherit all the baggage that is attached to said "donation".

It is simply a farce to later claim that you had no idea where the money came from. This is an insult to the intelligence of the population and the fact that that this excuse works is a symptom of the lack of personal integrity of politicians the world over. It's probably not fair to expect politicians to behave any better than the average person would but one can hope that a calling to public service would actually entail a genuine desire to serve the public and not just the betterment of one's personal circumstances ...maybe someday.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When a politician accepts money from an individual or corporation, they inherit all the baggage that is attached to said "donation".

It is simply a farce to later claim that you had no idea where the money came from. This is an insult to the intelligence of the population and the fact that that this excuse works is a symptom of the lack of personal integrity of politicians the world over. It's probably not fair to expect politicians to behave any better than the average person would but one can hope that a calling to public service would actually entail a genuine desire to serve the public and not just the betterment of one's personal circumstances ...maybe someday.

absolutely. taking money from a drug kingpin, then claiming that you did not know what he did for a living is really threadbare.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans can be some really interesting folks, at times. now some guy, Euclides Gutierrez, claims that this whole situation is a United States orchestrated smear campaign. the US has all kinds of heavy meals on its plate, like ISIS, the tantrums of Putin, the economy, and all kinds of weighty matters, but they have time to worry about some caribbean ex president.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Pecunia Non Olet.

People already believed Leonel was a thief, and all of it without any actual proof.

Yes, people are stupid....

[video=youtube;dZ1F1Z2G3P0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1F1Z2G3P0&feature=youtu.be[/video]

No, there is no proof that Leonel ever stole a chicken.... :tired:

donP

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Not Only Quirino

can you, or anyone tell if the gist of Leonel?s statement is that he never knew that Quirino was a dope pusher..

The list is long.
Unless all those newspaper photos were photoshopped, there is plenty proof that Leonel met many drug dealers.

Whether he knew that they were criminals is uncertain. :classic: ;)
{He even once flew to Z?rich to personally thank those persons (who were later jailed for drug trafficking) for their donations.}

Of course, it could be a lie that Lionel knew that the money came from drug dealers.... :rolleyes:

[video=youtube;iuo7vdoV8zw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuo7vdoV8zw[/video]

donP

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
one point nobody mentioned, but sticks in my head since the beginning of the theme, is:
was't the Drug Su.cker Paulino a Captain in the DR armed Forces at that time?
everybody, including the President's Staff in charge(because a President does not handle his campain alone, it is a large group of staff members doing so) knows exactly about the salary of a Captain of the armed forces. unless Paulino is the son of a superrich multimillonaire(dollars) family, there should be doubt from the beginning where 200 millions come from for a DONATION, and a investigation should start then right away(back in the day).
it's like i always say: the Narcos and other criminals should be taken by their Money which they have/spend, for what ever. you drive a Ferrari but your yearly Tax Report shows that you only make 50K per year? proof where the money came from or you get it sized. but too many countries on this globe are a Paradise for Mob and Narco money to be hidden away.
when myself, a small business owner, transfers a single dollar over the amount of 10K$ from one account/country to an other, the banks right away oblige me to proof where the money comes from/been earned/is clean/legit. but the big shots of crimes have Zillions parked on accounts in switzerland, Caymans etc etc etc and nobody obliges them to proof where/how the heck they made the big bucks. that system is exactly made for the criminal big shots all around, corrupt american politicians and the ones who let the Drugs in there the same as in the DR and the same as in every other involved country. there would be a good number of new "poor folks" on the planet with rejected Credit Cards when fueling a Maserati at the Gas Stations, if every account holder with large sums would need to proof where and how the money been earned.

back to Leonel and Paulino, again:
wasn't the 200 millions donor just a captain in the armed forces, or was he the son of a superrich DR family which can donate 200 millions like pocket money?

Mike

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
one point nobody mentioned, but sticks in my head since the beginning of the theme, is:
was't the Drug Su.cker Paulino a Captain in the DR armed Forces at that time?
everybody, including the President's Staff in charge(because a President does not handle his campain alone, it is a large group of staff members doing so) knows exactly about the salary of a Captain of the armed forces. unless Paulino is the son of a superrich multimillonaire(dollars) family, there should be doubt from the beginning where 200 millions come from for a DONATION, and a investigation should start then right away(back in the day).
it's like i always say: the Narcos and other criminals should be taken by their Money which they have/spend, for what ever. you drive a Ferrari but your yearly Tax Report shows that you only make 50K per year? proof where the money came from or you get it sized. but too many countries on this globe are a Paradise for Mob and Narco money to be hidden away.
when myself, a small business owner, transfers a single dollar over the amount of 10K$ from one account/country to an other, the banks right away oblige me to proof where the money comes from/been earned/is clean/legit. but the big shots of crimes have Zillions parked on accounts in switzerland, Caymans etc etc etc and nobody obliges them to proof where/how the heck they made the big bucks. that system is exactly made for the criminal big shots all around, corrupt american politicians and the ones who let the Drugs in there the same as in the DR and the same as in every other involved country. there would be a good number of new "poor folks" on the planet with rejected Credit Cards when fueling a Maserati at the Gas Stations, if every account holder with large sums would need to proof where and how the money been earned.

back to Leonel and Paulino, again:
wasn't the 200 millions donor just a captain in the armed forces, or was he the son of a superrich DR family which can donate 200 millions like pocket money?

Mike

What's his proof that he actual donated 200 million to Leonel?