best part of dr for vacationing (on a budget)?

mcee123

Feb 22, 2015
Hollis, New York, United States
Hello all, I am staying in Santiago for a few months with my family and I'm looking to take a trip somewhere for about a week, my preference is somewhere affordable with beaches, good nightlife and not too touristy, i want to get to know the locals. I've been to cabarete before and that seems like my best bet, but are there other areas that are similar (and maybe with less prostitutes?)

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
theres a beach on the way to the east....nice place not sure of the rates but im sure its nice quieter etc etc

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yes not sure about hotels but wow nice...quiet and peaceful sit outside a restaurant and nothing will happen to you as all are locals and know one another.... swim for a week...get nekkid a blast fresh fish

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
And the Oscar goes to....Las Terrenas !!! :laugh:

Beautiful beaches, touristy but low key, doable cheaply (direct guagua from Santiago too).

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
Second Las Terrenas, sugesst to stay at Las Ballenas Hotel, not that close to Samana but far enough to enjoy quality time.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
For a week you may find that multiple stops are possible. The north coast lends it self to that - you can drive across it in a day. Far west is Monte Cristi small city, mostly Dominicans, beautiful beach; goat is a specialty. Punta Rucia for Sunday fried fish on the beach. ... L T, Samana on the bay; Samana - LT road with spectacular views.(see bay and Atlantic from road on ridge)

mcee123

Feb 22, 2015
thanks for all the responses. I went to las terrenas about two weeks ago and I did enjoy it, I just found that there were very few people there. I guess for most thats a good thing, but I definitely want some excitement. So with that in mind, where among these destinations are most people in dr vacationing around this time, if anywhere?

Jul 28, 2014
good nightlife and not too touristy, i want to get to know the locals.

I guess it's more important to know what you exactly mean by the above statement? Do you want to go to a town where at the discos/bars you are the only Gringo in it, or, do you really mean, go to a kind of place that you can dabble with the locals as you see fit when you want to? As for the "ladies of the evening", I hate to burst your bubble but they are going to be everywhere, some places just more than others

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Las Terrenas. What I have seen, best combination of splendid beaches, good night life, peaceful.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe cofresi/costambar? less hookers than sosua and some night life in POP.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
check out bayahibe. Great little village, a little italian vibe going, if you like boats theres a lot of action, good number of resturaunts and accommodations, very safe, dominicans hanging out by the colmado with loud music. The bussus stop in town. Its close enought to punta cana for a nightclub. This area is safe from rampant prostitution. We did low budget at an apart hotel and hotel bayahibe.

mcee123

Feb 22, 2015
I guess it's more important to know what you exactly mean by the above statement? Do you want to go to a town where at the discos/bars you are the only Gringo in it, or, do you really mean, go to a kind of place that you can dabble with the locals as you see fit when you want to? As for the "ladies of the evening", I hate to burst your bubble but they are going to be everywhere, some places just more than others

i supposed dabbling with the locals as I see fit is ideal but i wouldnt mind being the only gringo either, the main deterrent for me with touristy areas are the high prices/hookers

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
Soubds like Cab is probably the best bet for you. Just ignore the hookers and the annoying vendors.
Sos?a is cheaper but of course more hookers...

sorry,,, exactly where are the ladies cheaper or more plentiful??? i meant de hooks....ers