Customer Service Needs to be Taught Here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
as of yesterday morning, there has been to cable tv service to the customers of Telecable POP,because of some problem in the cabling. my neighbor went in the afternoon, and they told him it would be back in a half an hour. that was 2pm yesterday. well, in the sector in which i live, it still has not returned, and i rode by to find out if they had any idea of when it would be back. the lady to whom is spoke was very curt, to the point of rudeness, telling me that there was a problem, and they were trying to fix it. the same thing they said 24 hours ago.

crap happens. we all know that. the point i am making is that had this been the USA, or some such place, the first thing she would have said is that they were sorry for the inconvenience. they would probably have calculated the time duration of the outage, and deducted it from your bill. in the DR, it is just a matter of don?t bother me, i am busy, and you will get service when you get it.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Don't be ridiculous, it's DR not US. I'm surprised by your post, you're usually more intelligent.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a cultural thing. Like speeding all of the time, talking loud enough to be heard 100 feet away, chicklets instead of proper change. Don't expect it to change any time soon. We are not the tail that will wag this dog.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I haven't had cable in over a week. Claro contractors took down the wrong dish when my neighbour moved away. Last time I called, I was told that at the latest the problem (that they caused) will be solved by March 5th. Sometimes it just ain't worth the fight.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is a cultural thing. Like speeding all of the time, talking loud enough to be heard 100 feet away, chicklets instead of proper change. Don't expect it to change any time soon. We are not the tail that will wag this dog.

you get chiclets, some get menta Halls. i am tempted to take a bunch of them to my local colmado and see if they will trade me for a can of evap milk.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I haven't had cable in over a week. Claro contractors took down the wrong dish when my neighbour moved away. Last time I called, I was told that at the latest the problem (that they caused) will be solved by March 5th. Sometimes it just ain't worth the fight.

two weeks ago, i had no internet for 2 days. when the guy finally came, he found that the problem was a cut cable. another Claro guy who worked with the junction cut a cable and just left it severed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i come from the land where for decades customer service was thought to be a dirty trick by rotten american imperialists. to this day i think that "how are you" is the dumbest and most useless phrase ever invented by humans. what should be only used among friends plagues every single conversation. why? if i call oscuro to complain i don't give a fcuk how my interlocutor is and they have no business asking how am i. i call in specific matter and don't dare to waste my goddamn pesos of blah blah that has nothing to do with a problem at hand.

so yeah. i could work in dominican customer service. i'd bring it to the depths of disdain you could not imagine possible.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Unfortunately or fortunately the amount of customer service you receive here is directly related to how many pesos you sling at them.
If I want a guy to come service my air-conditioner, I say grande propina and he will be here asap, 30 minutes

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am absolutely horrified that anyone coming here from the USA would want this country, the land of manana and tiguery , to be remotely like the USA . The DR is the DR and long may it stay that way

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Unfortunately or fortunately the amount of customer service you receive here is directly related to how many pesos you sling at them.
If I want a guy to come service my air-conditioner, I say grande propina and he will be here asap, 30 minutes

While I fully understand this post, I?m glad that I can say that based on what I have seen, this is not always the absolute truth. There is good customer service in the DR, but the amount is definitely not the same as outside. There are some "aburridos" and "aburridas", who couldn?t care less about their job, and dealing with these people can be ...funny... I have had a strong discussion with a bus driver because he forgot to leave us at a certain stop, and everything was basically our fault. Then again I know bank clerks, Orange clerks and a few taxistas who went the extra mile for us, despite the fact that we were no big customers in any way...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's kind of a hit and miss thing. We get great customer service from our building contractor, bank, copy service, and photographer. We get indifferent service at the supermarket but great service from the fruit and vegetable guy. We have an electrician/plumber that will come seven days a week night or day if he isnt already working. The companies with monopolies are the people who really dont deliver because they know you have little or no choice. Having said that Claro came and fixed my internet on Sunday.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
While I fully understand this post, I?m glad that I can say that based on what I have seen, this is not always the absolute truth. There is good customer service in the DR, but the amount is definitely not the same as outside. There are some "aburridos" and "aburridas", who couldn?t care less about their job, and dealing with these people can be ...funny... I have had a strong discussion with a bus driver because he forgot to leave us at a certain stop, and everything was basically our fault. Then again I know bank clerks, Orange clerks and a few taxistas who went the extra mile for us, despite the fact that we were no big customers in any way...

in this country, everything is your fault. i had the same issue with a bus driver on the way to Laguna Salada. i asked him to drop me off at the Isla station. he blew past it, and told me not to worry, because there was another bomba further down the road. i guess he thought i needed to top up with unleaded.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
as of yesterday morning, there has been to cable tv service to the customers of Telecable POP,because of some problem in the cabling. my neighbor went in the afternoon, and they told him it would be back in a half an hour. that was 2pm yesterday. well, in the sector in which i live, it still has not returned, and i rode by to find out if they had any idea of when it would be back. the lady to whom is spoke was very curt, to the point of rudeness, telling me that there was a problem, and they were trying to fix it. the same thing they said 24 hours ago.

crap happens. we all know that. the point i am making is that had this been the USA, or some such place, the first thing she would have said is that they were sorry for the inconvenience. they would probably have calculated the time duration of the outage, and deducted it from your bill. in the DR, it is just a matter of don?t bother me, i am busy, and you will get service when you get it.
It sounds like that Woman could work for Comcast.

"Deduct it from your bill"???? In the US??? BWAAHAHAHAA!!!! They will bust out laughing in your face if you try to suggest such a thing. The only cable/ internet/ phone People who are nice to you in the USA are the call center People....'cause they're in India. Comcast will have you take a day off work for installation and when you call after 5pm that day they'll inform you that you've been rescheduled.

Look at the bright side...cable People.....they're a-holes everywhere..... but at least you're not freezing your tail off.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It sounds like that Woman could work for Comcast.

"Deduct it from your bill"???? In the US??? BWAAHAHAHAA!!!! They will bust out laughing in your face if you try to suggest such a thing. The only cable/ internet/ phone People who are nice to you in the USA are the call center People....'cause they're in India. Comcast will have you take a day off work for installation and when you call after 5pm that day they'll inform you that you've been rescheduled.

Look at the bright side...cable People.....they're a-holes everywhere..... but at least you're not freezing your tail off.

i guess i am not current on the corporate goings on these days. i got a rebate of a few cents once from DirecTV because of an outage, but that was 1999.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
i guess i am not current on the corporate goings on these days. i got a rebate of a few cents once from DirecTV because of an outage, but that was 1999.

9-11 changed everything. I remember when People used to smile and wave you through an intersection or adjust their speed so you could change lanes. Now it's more and more like Santo Domingo every day.....except for the weather, of course.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
i come from the land where for decades customer service was thought to be a dirty trick by rotten american imperialists. to this day i think that "how are you" is the dumbest and most useless phrase ever invented by humans. what should be only used among friends plagues every single conversation. why? if i call oscuro to complain i don't give a fcuk how my interlocutor is and they have no business asking how am i. i call in specific matter and don't dare to waste my goddamn pesos of blah blah that has nothing to do with a problem at hand.

so yeah. i could work in dominican customer service. i'd bring it to the depths of disdain you could not imagine possible.

DV8, you will need to spend a few more years in this reeducation camp. In your future you will desire the small talk that you disdain.
What would you like a) small talk and sincere service or b) small-talk and no-service.

The small-talk is not just for the client it settles and focuses the employee. It is only useless when it is not find allowed by service. Small-talk: I am a human and so are you ... I see you and you see me ... Let's continue.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DV8, you will need to spend a few more years in this reeducation camp. In your future you will desire the small talk that you disdain.
What would you like a) small talk and sincere service or b) small-talk and no-service.

The small-talk is not just for the client it settles and focuses the employee. It is only useless when it is not find allowed by service. Small-talk: I am a human and so are you ... I see you and you see me ... Let's continue.

that is exactly what dv8 does not want. just tell me what you need, and get the fcuk out of my face.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Well, too bad for dv8. She ain't getting nothin' from me until i am settled and focused and that comes from initial smalltalk.

DV8 you should only deal with machines: cars, computers, copiers, ... Not people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am absolutely horrified that anyone coming here from the USA would want this country, the land of manana and tiguery , to be remotely like the USA . The DR is the DR and long may it stay that way

not because the country adopts a cultural artifact from another means it becomes like it. by your reasoning, we will be doomed to being just another American lookalike if we get 24 hour electricity.