Travelers to the DR will be required to have medical coverage

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PICHARDO posted this in another thread:

As stated by the President, all public hospitals will begin to charge the ARS for services rendered to patients, unlike before.
This is in tune with the plan to turn over all Public Health Facilities to private administrators, but with a Public partnership. Those bills that are unpaid will be picked up by the state under the Medical Care program (state/public funded).

Universal Insurance coverage will be mandatory in the DR. Those that don't get one from their job/self employment, will be covered by the State funded Medical Care program.

Travelers to the DR will be required to either have an existing medical coverage for international care or purchase a temporary insurance policy under the local ARS on entry to the country. Save only for diplomatic or other foreigners at the state level.

Again, all Public Hospitals in the DR will be renovated or built at or above private/regional standards of quality and services rendered.

And of course there will be universal health care.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I'm not sure why a person would travel anywhere in the world without medical coverage. I just can't imagine how they can enforce it.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I think Cuba tried this a couple years ago. If you didn't show proof of international coverage they charged you a set fee for the duration of your visit. I don't know how well that went over. I know plenty of people who went for a vacation and noboby ever said anything about having to pay.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm not sure why a person would travel anywhere in the world without medical coverage. I just can't imagine how they can enforce it.

Passport, immigration card and certificate of health insurance please... Don't have a health insurance certificate, here you go, that will be 2000 $RD. Gracias.

Just like going to Cuba.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I remember going to a hospital in San Fran USA.... mid - 70's

The lady in front of me was pleading her case - an unpaid bill from a prior visit
They turned her away...... she was sicker than I was !!!

I walked in from the hotel - handed a credit card and was served

as my Cdn doctor said last summer in Canada

In the US , its a business, here its health care
very true

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If you are a tourist and have a medical emergency in Panama, you will be covered by a 30-day free health insurance.

In Panama we will take care of you as if you were at home. You will have coverage for hospitalization and medical expenses for injuries resulting from an accident or by disease contracted on Panamanian territory up to $7,000.

In the event of a medical emergency, all you will have to do is show your passport upon arrival at the hospital. The medical emergency will be covered by Axa Assistance, in partnership with Generali, if the emergency occurs within the first 30 days after arrival in the country.
For more information or immediate assistance, call: 204-9300/800-2312

Show your passport at the medical center.

Tourist Insurance

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ship Chef.............. pack your bags and go home
The stress will kill you

you are not one who will survive this........

friendly advice, I read all your posts............. you'll die from this

you'll never sleep well here again...........

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This should stop the hordes of tourists who come here for high quality medical care in the Dominican public hospitals.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
recently I was two times at dominican "emergencia".
first time with some stomach problems - visit free, half of laboratory tests for free, half paid (in other laboratory - in emergency they didnt have it, maybe thats why i had to pay for it)
second time - some back problems. visit free, diagnosis free, roentgen - will have to pay for it.

I cant complain, however these were not life threating issues.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Passport, immigration card and certificate of health insurance please... Don't have a health insurance certificate, here you go, that will be 2000 $RD. Gracias.

Just like going to Cuba.

I understand the theroy. If you have been to PUJ lately there can be hundreds if not thousands of people in line at immigration. No one directs them to the line if you have the $10 entery card, are a resident or need to buy the entry card. Now imagine another stop to show medical insurance.
I think someone should approach the owners of the airport to build an on site hotel as this process could take days. I swear Obama is running this place as it can't get anymore stupid.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If this proposal comes to fruition, it's obvious that arriving visitors will show proof of health insurance to someone, or purchase a generic product here and then show that to someone before being cleared for entry.

It would seem to make sense to show it to the same Immigration person you are already presenting documents to. Health insurance will probably be made available at the same booth as the tourist cards. Some airlines hand out tourist cards on the flight, the charters usually require you to line up and purchase one on the ground. I can see the lines at the booths getting longer.

However, if one gets their tourist card on the flight, this might be a good reason to purchase your health insurance online at home so you can avoid the line all together. Whatever the process, it's not a big deal. A bit of a money grab from those tourists who arrive without insurance it but like everything else here, get used to handing someone money for something. Maybe the airlines will seize the opportunity and offer a stale sandwich, water, a crappy cookie and a side of health insurance for the combo price of $$$.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
This is a disguised way to keep the Haitians out of here, most people that have the money to travel by plane have insurance anyway...

I should say try to keep out....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is a disguised way to keep the Haitians out of here, most people that have the money to travel by plane have insurance anyway...

I should say try to keep out....

Do you have any proof that most people who travel by plane have health insurance that covers them when they are on travel?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

If not having a visa, even not having a passport doesn't stop Haitians from entering DR, do you think not having insurance will?